After the discussion we had on the Swarovski warranty, I built a spreadsheet for myself that shows all warranties compared for the US. I thought I might as well share the data. My info may be out of date or incorrect, so if you find an error, please let me know, I will edit when facts are wrong. The companies whose names are not here - I just don't know enough about them. The global ratings are, of course, mine, and rate warranty, downgraded by lack of support if the company does not fully support the warranty in practice. They do NOT rate the quality of support itself, only the lack thereof when it impacts warranty service (edited for clarification).
Please note that the following information applies to scope optics and mechanicals, not to accessories, and not to scope electronics.
5-star warranties (corrected by support)
4-star warranties (corrected by support)
3-star warranties (corrected by support)
2-star warranties (corrected by support)
1-star warranties (corrected by support)
0-star warranties (corrected by support)
Important Edit Note: there has been some mention of subjectivity. Therefore, I should be very clear on how I created my ratings (that's what I use on my spreadsheet, for my own use). There is NO subjectivity on the warranty section. There is ONLY subjectivity on the Downgrades, which may only remove 1 star, no more.
- 5 stars = lifetime, fully transferable warranty, covers all (except usual negligence, mistreatment etc.): only the best
- 4 stars = 5 stars minus a downgrade (see below for downgrades)
- 3 star = lifetime + non transferable, or transferable + non lifetime
- 2 star = lifetime warranty does not cover all systems, non transferable
- 1 star = warranty limited by a number of years, non transferable
- 0 star = really crappy warranty
Downgrades ONLY by 1 star to the scale above:
- if there are many stories of support problems
- or if there are restrictive clauses on the lifetime warranty
How I got the warranty info:
For most companies, I actually have a copy of the actual warranty document. For some, I do not have a copy (like IOR), but I described what retailers described as the warranty. If you have a recent copy of the document, and I am wrong about the data, simply post the data and I will correct it.
This is NOT evaluating service or quality but warranty:
This is focused on warranty, and SLIGHTLY corrected (by up to 1 star down ONLY) for significant service issues when servicing the warranty.
I am simply sharing my data, as a service to the community. If this is going to turn into an ugly thread, I'll simply delete the content. I am not looking for a contest - just sharing what took me a lot of time to research for my own use... I know it is very valuable to me, I am assuming others would like the information.
Link of interest: Eagle Optics warranty summaries across the industry primarily for binos/ spotting scopes. Their info is slightly outdated.
(1. edited for specific warranty information)
(2. added rating explanation)
(3. corrected USO rating)
(4. edited paragraph titles)
(5. updated Zeiss, Swarovski, Bushnell, USO entries)
(6. clarified further purpose of the spreadsheet)
(7. added S&B, Hensoldt, slightly updated 3* criterion)
(8. added Meopta)
(9. added Minox)
(11. added Falcon)
Edited by WestOfPecos - October/26/2010 at 23:38