New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vintage Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

Vintage Binoculars

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options Page  1 2>
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 00:22
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: August/02/2005
Location: Sweden
Status: Offline
Points: 611

I have from time to time showed pictures of a number of older optics here.

I do use 60 year old binoculars as much as I use modern stuff.

And as a free lance write and firearms editor for one magazine I do test a lot of optics.

 

Here is some of the older stuff I am using.

This is a Dutch Nedinsco, (System Carl Zeiss Jena) and the factory was under German control during the war.

The eyecups are of "gasmask model" so they should be retracted while using gasmasks, this fits me well as I am using often glasses. FOV is 8,5 degree and that is considered as very good.

 

Baush & Lomb 7x50 M16 and M17 offers also good binoculars that can be used today.

 

Delfort 18x50 from around 1922 is not the best example of good user value, but still it can be nice to use it just for the fun of it.

AT the height of the optical development is the 8x60 HT.

This is produced in february 1936 in the first batch of 20 binoculars that had coated lenses.

The h construction meant that the field lens was cemeted together with the prisms.

Porro 2 construction

 

 

 

Before Nikon was name Nikon it was Nippon Kogaku.

This was made during the US occupation and even though those binoculars not offers the best optical performance, they could previosly be had at money where it didn't matters if they got stolen.

So I have always one of those in my car.

 

Do you have any vintage binoculars that you use?

 

Regards Technika

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 08:52
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional


Joined: January/29/2006
Status: Offline
Points: 971
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

 

Do you have any vintage binoculars that you use?

 

Why should i use a 2500 gram piece of individual focus junk when i have a 600 gram central focus split bridge Swarovski?

By the way, as a kid i used a beh marked 7x50 individual focus, 1940 vintage. I am glad that i don't have to anymore.

 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 11:50
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: August/02/2005
Location: Sweden
Status: Offline
Points: 611

Using vintage binoculars, scopes, cameras etc is mainly because I like old style quality.

Some of those items would simply be to expensive to manufacture today.

It's problably the same reason why some people are using rolling blocks, others drive T fords and some renovats old houses.

 

There is really no reason for you to use this kind of equipment, and that was not what this thread is about.

This thread is about the same things at the similar thread in the riflescope section.

 

By the way there is really no reason to have a discussion with you about those matters as you already have a very bad attitude and behavour from the beginning.

 

Technika

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 15:42
cheaptrick View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: September/27/2004
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 20474

anweis:

What's the problem?

 

 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2007 at 17:31
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: November/27/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1436

I'm sure vintage binoculars are interesting for their history and are almost guaranteed "conversation-starters" in crowds (especially some of those larger and more exotic looking models like that 18x Delfort.) 

 

However, I sure wouldn't want to have to carry them around MY neck as I drag my butt around the mountains near my home.  I also would not want to be relying on their 40-60+ year-old seals to hold during the kinds of "bad" weather we often get around here.

 

Of course, this is all besides the fact that I doubt they can favorably compare optically to the high-quality optics available today.

 

If I were prone to collecting, I would think they would look cool on a mantle peice where they could be seen, admired, and discussed but, they just can't quite cut it as serious outdoor gear anymore.



Edited by lucznik
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 02:47
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: August/02/2005
Location: Sweden
Status: Offline
Points: 611

Vintage binoculars as well as rifles, cameras , scopes etc are not used because they are better.

Often they do have some qualities that are better but generally they are not.

But they are used becuase of the feel for the old style quality that is to expensive to manufacture today.

They are used because of their historical values.

 

But when it comes to watertightness of those, the sealings are made for marine use and they are that way far better sealed than the majority of modern centerfocus binocular.

I have had a brand new Zeiss classic centerfocus that got moist inside while walking in thick haze, but I never had a old marine binocular get wet inside in the worst of rains.

 

I don't use really big binoculars when i walk around, I use small or medium sized binoculars then, like a rubber armourd Zeiss from the 70th 6x30 with 8,5degrees FOV.  or a vintage 6x30.

The big ones are used when I am sitting and waiting for the game to come, and espesially at nights.

 

Regards Technika

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 06:43
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional


Joined: January/29/2006
Status: Offline
Points: 971
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

anweis:

What's the problem?

 

 

 

Two actually:

1. the "best in the world, you don't know what you are doing if you don't use this" attitude. 

2. a knee with a lot of pain.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 21:58
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: November/27/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1436
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

“As a free lance write[r] and firearms editor...”

 

“As a[n] inventor…”

worked as a toolmaker for 8 years and gunsmith for 10 years.”

 

Wow man, you sure do "get around."

 

Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

There is really no reason for you to use this kind of equipment, and that was not what this thread is about.

Except of course that they are superior to all modern "non-German-speaking" manufacturers' offerings. Especially those built for military use.   At least that's what you've been trying to convince us all of in other threads.

 

Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

By the way there is really no reason to have a discussion with you about those matters as you already have a very bad attitude and behavour from the beginning.

 

You said a similar thing to me on another thread.  Could it be that you just don't like the fact that we keep disputing the merits of your assertions rather than simply cowering behind your "obviously higher class" tastes in optics. 

 

You should be happy though! After all; with all of us uneducated, inexperienced, low-brow, redneck beatnicks coveting the useless, poorly designed, inferiorly made, optically challenged, modern offerings of Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold, Minox, Kahles, Pentax, etc., you will never have to worry that we might beat you to another great deal on one of those fantastic, optically superior, well made, "military grade" optics from the genius German craftsmen of 60 - 80 years ago.  



Edited by lucznik
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2007 at 22:01
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: November/27/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1436
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

anweis:

What's the problem?

 

 

 

Two actually:

1. the "best in the world, you don't know what you are doing if you don't use this" attitude. 

2. a knee with a lot of pain.

 

Anweis,

 

Sorry to hear about your knee.  Is this a new injury or an chronic aggravation?

 

 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 18:46
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: March/18/2007
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 119
[QUOTE=anweis] 

Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 11:54
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 18:59
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: November/27/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1436
Originally posted by zeissoem2 zeissoem2 wrote:

Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:


 


Do you have any vintage binoculars that you use?



 



Why should i use a 2500 gram piece of individual focus junk when i have a 600 gram central focus split bridge Swarovski?


By the way, as a kid i used a beh marked 7x50 individual focus, 1940 vintage. I am glad that i don't have to anymore.


 




Individual junk?????
wow -you dont know what you are talking about.
The blc 8x60 is the best ever made.
And individual focus is much bether than central focus.

 

We've already gone the rounds with the IF vs. CF debate.  You should do some searching for the various threads on the topic as I'm pretty sure noone wants to spend the time retyping it all.

 

Of course, you could also just take the short route and simply accept that you are wrong. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 19:08
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: March/18/2007
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 119
[QUOTE=lucznik]

Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 11:56
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 19:21
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: November/27/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1436

While I'm sure it has great optics and is also probably a great conversation starter, that green monstrosity is not a field glass by any stretch of the imagination.

 

Come hunt in my backyard and try to hump that Zeiss for a day.  I'm quite sure you'll be stone dead within the hour. 

 

 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2007 at 23:35
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: March/18/2007
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 119
[QUOTE=lucznik]

 



Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 11:57
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 00:27
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: March/18/2007
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 119
Btw

Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 12:00
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 13:53
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: November/27/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1436

Originally posted by zeissoem2 zeissoem2 wrote:

why do you think that my zeiss DF 7x50 from 1920 is still working well with individual focus and the opticron 10x42 failed with the focus mecanism after 1 year.

 

Operator error.



Edited by lucznik
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2007 at 14:39
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: March/18/2007
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 119
[QUOTE=lucznik]

 



Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 11:59
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2007 at 11:00
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 14313

To each his own, zeissoem2.  I've tried IF binos -- even high quality ones -- and I don't like them at all.  Despite the fact that what you say is true about your eyes' ability to focus using the IF binos, I've found you get a much crisper image with a good center focus bino, and if you have a high end model CF bino with a broad depth of field combined with a relatively fast focus knob, you really don't have to do much focusing at all.  I've never found using the focus knob to be such a nuisance anyway, as it doesn't take but a couple seconds.  With IF, you are requiring your eyes do the fine focusing through the optic, and therefore, depending on the distance an object is viewed at, it is never in as precise focus as it could be with a good center focus model, since any IF settings are a compromise to cover a broad range.  I've found I get much more eye fatigue with IF than with CF. 

 

I'm sure that oem2 green thing you have there is a very finely made piece of equipment that probably has great optics, but to say that would be a good choice for spot and stalk hunting is ridiculous!  It would be about as useful as carrying around a blacksmith anvil!  If I'm elk hunting in the mountains of the American west, walking up and down steep, rugged terrain all day long for many many miles/Kms carrying a lot of gear, that would be the very last piece of gear I'd want to be stuck with, especially if I have to pack out an animal at the end of the day! 

 

I think vintage optics are interesting from a historical viewpoint, and they are often very well made with good optics, but lens coating technology and glass quality have advanced significantly since those models were made.

 

 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 00:29
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: March/18/2007
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 119
[QUOTE=RifleDude] �



 



Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 11:58
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 16:36
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 14313

It's also "possible" to carry a boat anchor around all day, but who would want to?  Most here use binos for carrying in the field, for hunting and/or birdwatching, not as a substitute for a telescope.  That oem2 is ridiculously large and bulky for normal field use, regardless of its other virtues.  Even if we assume it has the best optics money can buy... it isn't made anymore, it isn't convenient to carry, there aren't very many available for sale, and most people wouldn't spend the high cost.  I'm sure with the tripod and solid construction, it's great for stationary viewing as you show in the photos, but as an everyday "go anywhere" bino, it would be basically useless.

 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2007 at 23:45
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: March/18/2007
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 119
[QUOTE=RifleDude]

 



Edited by zeissoem2 - October/09/2009 at 12:01
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 17:33
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 14313

Originally posted by zeissoem2 zeissoem2 wrote:

Why carry a boat anchor ,when I can use my boat .

That was an analogy to illustrate the point that the OEM2 you show wouldn't be a practical choice for carrying with you all day in the field, like you would do with the typical pair of binos.  I'm sure it's great for stationary viewing out your window as you show, as well as the novelty of owning something so unique.

Originally posted by zeissoem2 zeissoem2 wrote:

Like I said in the other thread.Not easy to get me angry with trashing.
 
I am not trying to make you angry, and I'm not in any way "trashing" you.  I was only disagreeing with your premise that the OEM2 would make a good "use anywhere," portable bino because of its size and weight.  If you think I'm "trashing" you, then either there is a language barrier, or you are, in fact, easily angered.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2007 at 22:29
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: March/18/2007
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 119
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 06:23
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional


Joined: January/29/2006
Status: Offline
Points: 971
I will no longer offer my advise to prospective binocular and spotting scope users until this lunatic is removed from this board.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2007 at 14:22
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar

Joined: January/02/2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 5348
Me thinks he is just a happy soul trying to pull our chains - no way he could be serious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  1 2>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "Vintage Binoculars"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
help to identify (vintage) Tern binoculars pete_denton Binoculars 1
Vintage Steiner Binoculars intifada Binoculars 0
Vintage Orvis 8x binoculars terry2336 Binoculars 1
Vintage Hensoldt Wetzlar binoculars? clovis97 Binoculars 4
Vintage Glass on Vintage Guns.... taylorsf Rifle Scopes 2 4/4/2006 1:11:29 PM
Vintage Bushnell Scope Need Help Identifying cbraun86 Spotting Scopes 1
Vintage Lyman 20XSuperTarget Scope hammer04 Target 2
Help-need vintage scope for nylon 66 rawdeal Rimfire / Airgun 4
vintage ammo 300S&W Reloading & Ballistics 5
scope choice (new and vintage) fastback Rifle Scopes 10


This page was generated in 0.172 seconds.