Dark Lord of Optics
Location: United States
Since it is the beginning of the new year, I am, yet again, trying to figure out what equipment I will be looking at in the coming months. A few things are already in motion. Some other stuff still needs to be set up. As always, I am open to suggestions.
1) I will be comparing several 4-14x or similar scopes. So far it looks like I will have the following scopes for this review: Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 (courtesy of SWFA test-drive), Vortex Viper 4-12x40 (I already ahve this one), Hawke Frontier SF 4-16x42 (courtesy of Hawke Optics), Sightron S2 Big Sky (not sure which model yet, I am working on this). This is probably enough, but I may add either Bushnell Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch to the list.
2) Vortex Strikefire Red Dot sight (on the way)
3) Vortex Viper 6x32 binoculars (on the way)
4) Vortex Razor rifle scopes (some time later in the year depending on when they go into production)
5) Leatherwood Optics Professional 2.5-10x44 and/or UniDial 7-30x50.
I do not know what my time requirements will be through the year, but what else would you like me to look at? I make no guarantees, but I am definitely open to suggestions.
Here are the suggestions so far:
Binoculars: Kowa Genesis 8x33 vs Meopta Meostar 8x32 vs Leica Ultravid HD 8x32
Binoculars: Minox HG 8.5x42 vs Meopta Meostar 8x42
"Traditional" hunting scopes: IOR Hunting 4x32 vs Zeiss Conquest 4x32
Midrange tactical scopes that do not break the bank. This is a topic that is certainly of interest to me, but it is a bit ambiguous. I need to think of what the contender here are. What do we consider a "does not break the bank" threshold? $400, $600, $800, $1000? Then, how do we define a "tactical scope"? presence of tall knobs and a ranging reticle? FFP or SFP (or no difference)? I am looking for some feedback here.
Scopes: Sightron S3 vs Bushnell Elite 4200 vs Bushnell Elite 6500 vs Nikon Monarch. A look at the high magnificaiton versions of these scopes would be an interesting exercise. I have looked at all four in some detail, but never all four side by side.
Swaro American 3-9x35 and/or 3-10x42 vs ?????????
Edited by koshkin - February/02/2009 at 18:37
Those who are merciful to the cruel, are cruel to the merciful. Talmud