New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ss 6x42 at a distance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

ss 6x42 at a distance

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2015 at 11:42
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: October/28/2015
Location: Nebraska
Status: Offline
Points: 14

I am new here and have a question about the 6 power Super Sniper scope.  I have not read one bad thing about the scope, but was just wondering if the fact that it is only a 6x, hurts small-target acquisition at 300+ yards? I like the idea of a fixed power scope, but have always had reservations about single-power at extended ranges for sight-in purposes and also shooting the small targets.  I have seen videos of the scope on larger targets such as steel, but not at targets like one would use to sight in etc.

I tried a search and came  up empty.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2015 at 12:08
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: April/19/2008
Location: Fort Worth
Status: Offline
Points: 3149
Welcome to the forum, Hooper.  I don't have any specific experience with that scope but you have certainly come to the right place for information.  Great folks here.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2015 at 18:05
bcraig View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: March/14/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 49
Originally posted by hoopersb hoopersb wrote:

I am new here and have a question about the 6 power Super Sniper scope.  I have not read one bad thing about the scope, but was just wondering if the fact that it is only a 6x, hurts small-target acquisition at 300+ yards? I like the idea of a fixed power scope, but have always had reservations about single-power at extended ranges for sight-in purposes and also shooting the small targets.  I have seen videos of the scope on larger targets such as steel, but not at targets like one would use to sight in etc.

I tried a search and came  up empty.



Essentially shooting at 300 yards with a 6x scope is about the same as shooting at 50 yards with a non magnifying optic.as 300 divided by 6 equals 50.

You will have to decide if you can hit a 50 yard target and sight in with no Magnification as only you know the size of target you are talking about and know your eyesight.

If you have variable scopes just take one and set it on 6x and experiment with target acquisition and see what you feel comfortable with.

Keep in mind that a scope is not a binocular and just because a higher power will enable one to see a target in a larger image does not mean you can shoot more accurately on that target.

Hope this helps you



Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 07:28
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
Chief Sackscratch

Joined: December/17/2009
Location: NorthCackalacky
Status: Offline
Points: 28768
I used one to hit clay pigeons with at 300+ with no issues using that exact scope and a 17 HMR  
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 07:46
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: October/28/2015
Location: Nebraska
Status: Offline
Points: 14
Thanks!  If what I read is correct, the quality/clarity of the glass makes up for some lack of magnification. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 07:54
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master
Avatar

Joined: July/04/2012
Location: Oswego,NY
Status: Offline
Points: 9059
There is no lack of magnification with a 6 X scope.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 09:37
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: April/19/2008
Location: Fort Worth
Status: Offline
Points: 3149
The quality of the glass dictates whether or not you can do the 300 / 6 calculation discussed above.  In some cases, the proximity of the scope to your eye will make the image clearer than your naked eye at 50 yds.  As to your quality/clarity question - I was shooting this weekend with my SS 3-9x and my new Swaro Z3 3-9x36.  Same magnification range, obviously, but the Z3 made it appear that I was shooting a 16x compared to the SS.  

Don't get me wrong - the SS 3-9x42 is a GREAT scope, but the color, clarity, and sharpness of the image in the Z3 was unbelievably better as it relates to GLASS.  I have the SS for a reason (mil/mil, turrets, reticle, FFP), and the Z3 would not work as a substitute due to the features I need for the weapon that wears the SS.  A scope that does what the SS does with the quality of glass of the Swaro would probably cost 3 times what the SS costs, and the SS glass is better than my Vortex Viper glass, and on par with the older Zeiss Conquest scopes I have, IMO.  It's the age-old question of what features at what cost.  
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 10:00
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 14321
Unless you're competitive benchrest shooting and aiming at bullet holes to try to get sub 1/4MOA groups or your vision is bad, 6X is plenty of magnification for any distant shot you'll ever need to make.

More magnification is beneficial if you're shooting LR at a tiny aim point of, say 1/2" or smaller, in which case the reticle may completely cover your POA at 6X.

Otherwise, 6X will do everything that needs to be done on a working rifle. If I had to choose only one optic magnification for all hunting & field shooting, it would be 6X. I believe it's the best compromise for reasonable close range FOV and reasonable long range magnification, while still offering reasonably good light transmission in a reasonably compact package when using a 42mm objective. There's something to be said for keeping things simple, and a good fixed 6X42 is a good choice for those reasons.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 11:14
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: October/28/2015
Location: Nebraska
Status: Offline
Points: 14
Thanks for all of the input.  I will definitely consider the SS when I decide to do some changing on optics.  The Swarovski should be better than the SWFA if price comparison means anything.  I like the price point on the SS scopes.  I kind of wish that they had the option of capped adjustment knobs, though.  No big deal, but they seem kind of large, too.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 17:03
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 18345
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Unless you're competitive benchrest shooting and aiming at bullet holes to try to get sub 1/4MOA groups or your vision is bad, 6X is plenty of magnification for any distant shot you'll ever need to make.

More magnification is beneficial if you're shooting LR at a tiny aim point of, say 1/2" or smaller, in which case the reticle may completely cover your POA at 6X.

Otherwise, 6X will do everything that needs to be done on a working rifle. If I had to choose only one optic magnification for all hunting & field shooting, it would be 6X. I believe it's the best compromise for reasonable close range FOV and reasonable long range magnification, while still offering reasonably good light transmission in a reasonably compact package when using a 42mm objective. There's something to be said for keeping things simple, and a good fixed 6X42 is a good choice for those reasons.

I second that… 6x is one of the most versatile fixed powers around.  I like 4x, but 6x is better.  
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2015 at 17:13
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: October/28/2015
Location: Nebraska
Status: Offline
Points: 14
I turned two of my scopes to 6x this afternoon on my range.  With a 17 HMR and a US-made Burris 3x9, at 6x, I shot an inch group at 200 yards.  With a 6mm and a Nikon Buckmaster, I had no problem keeping moaish on steel at 300.  I think that 6x is just fine.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2015 at 09:10
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
show me your sheep!!

Joined: January/01/2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline
Points: 27660
There ya go!  Seems you CAN see... n shoot too! Excellent
 
 
Welcome to the OT! Howdy
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 10:07
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: October/28/2015
Location: Nebraska
Status: Offline
Points: 14
Just another follow-up question on the 6x42.  I have read some where the reticle tends to disappear in fading light.  I have a bit of that problem with the B&C reticle on my Leupold 3.5x10.  Any real field experience with this would be helpful.  It would be perfect if they would just illuminate it!
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 10:16
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: April/19/2008
Location: Fort Worth
Status: Offline
Points: 3149
The mil-quad is pretty fine (as in thin), so for your purposes, you might consider the mil-dot option on the 6x42.

SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical RiflescopeSWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95
Add SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart 
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_0" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$0">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_1" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$1">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_2" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$2">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_3" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$3">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_4" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$4">
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 14:09
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: October/28/2015
Location: Nebraska
Status: Offline
Points: 14
That is what I was wondering. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 15:06
koshkin View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Dark Lord of Optics

Joined: June/15/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 10978
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

The mil-quad is pretty fine (as in thin), so for your purposes, you might consider the mil-dot option on the 6x42.

SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical RiflescopeSWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95
Add SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart 
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_0" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$0">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_1" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$1">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_2" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$2">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_3" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$3">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl03_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1593_4" ="" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl03$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1593$4">

I disagree with that.

In the 6x, Mil-quad is a fair bit more visible in low light than the MilDot.

The thin lines are of about the same thickness, but the thick bars are substantially thicker in the Mil-Quad.

I am pretty sure SWFA has published the reticle dimensions for both.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2015 at 16:25
hoopersb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: October/28/2015
Location: Nebraska
Status: Offline
Points: 14
Maybe when I decide to buy one, I can find someone with one that I can look through at dusk.  Good info here, thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 11:37
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: April/19/2008
Location: Fort Worth
Status: Offline
Points: 3149
Fair enough, Ilya.  I was going by how fine the 3-9x42 mil-quad looks at 6x.  Seems really fine to me - definitely not a low-light friendly reticle except at 9x, IMO, and then you have to deal with the smallish exit pupil.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 15:22
koshkin View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Dark Lord of Optics

Joined: June/15/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 10978
I have the 3-9x42 with both reticles and Mil quad is more visible.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2015 at 15:47
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: April/19/2008
Location: Fort Worth
Status: Offline
Points: 3149
I certainly am not going to disagree with that.  Period.  Thanks Ilya.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "ss 6x42 at a distance"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
leupold FX-3 6X42 vs SS 6X42 troweler Rifle Scopes 4
SWFA SS 6x42 vs. IDF 6x42 Molasses Tactical Scopes 5
IOR 6x42 versus Kahles ZF95 6x42 ar15a292f Tactical Scopes 12 11/20/2004 6:47:30 AM
Schmidt Bender 6x42 vs Zeiss 6x42 sakosf Rifle Scopes 2 6/21/2007 1:06:28 PM
Estimating Distance W/MIL DOT Fixed vs Variable Ranger007 Tactical Scopes 5
AR for distance Pa.Bill Rifle Scopes 1
..Need Help With Long Distance Shooting.. Aussie95 Shooting 4
S&B 1.5-6x42 Flashdot 9 for sale ccoker Optics For Sale 0
Binocular seeing distance darrelj Binoculars 3
SS 3 - 9 X 42 realistic distance limits ack-fin Rifle Scopes 13


This page was generated in 0.203 seconds.