New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Smith & Wesson M4 Barrels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

Smith & Wesson M4 Barrels

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2012 at 11:50
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/18/2012
Location: flagstaff
Status: Offline
Points: 108
Hi guys
 
Can anyone tell me who makes Smith & Wesson M4 Barrels? Any links would be greatly appreciated, thx.
Im thinking of eventually switching to a FN Barrel, Ive heard alot of great feedback on their Barrels.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2012 at 12:12
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master
Avatar
Superstool

Joined: January/03/2008
Location: Utah
Status: Offline
Points: 9533
I don't know who makes S&W.  But when you start buying consider White Oak barrels.  They are very good for the money.  I have had half a dozen of them and they are shot 1/2 moa or better.  Very good quality barrels. 

Rainier Arms also has they line of select match barrels and ultra match barrels that are crazy accurate as well.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2012 at 12:15
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/18/2012
Location: flagstaff
Status: Offline
Points: 108
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I don't know who makes S&W.  But when you start buying consider White Oak barrels.  They are very good for the money.  I have had half a dozen of them and they are shot 1/2 moa or better.  Very good quality barrels. 

Rainier Arms also has they line of select match barrels and ultra match barrels that are crazy accurate as well.
Good info, Ill take a look, thx
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2012 at 12:16
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 14321
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I don't know who makes S&W.  But when you start buying consider White Oak barrels.  They are very good for the money.  I have had half a dozen of them and they are shot 1/2 moa or better.  Very good quality barrels. 



+1. My 6.8 has a WOA barrel, and I'm getting similar levels of precision with it. I believe all WOA barrels use Wilson blanks.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2012 at 02:15
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: June/15/2011
Location: Alaska
Status: Offline
Points: 212
S&W has two lines of M-4 type carbine, one is a hobby gun with non-chromed barrel, some made by Mossberg, the other is a law enforcement gun made to a higher spec with a chromed lined barrel, 1-7 or 1-8 twist, shot peened and MPI inspected bolt, F marked sight tower, etc.
The various components for the two different lines are obtained from different sub-contractors who produce to price for the hobby guns and to spec for the law enforcement guns, big difference in quality.
Colt has sold the Technical Data Package for the M-4 to the US Gov with the proviso that parts and guns can not be sold to the public...so if you ever see any parts made by FN it means they were stolen and having said parts could get you a prison term or a lot of unwanted attention by the Justice Dept., Homeland Security, etc.
Colt builds the only true Mil-Spec civilian M-4 since they are the only ones having the Tech Data Package, others may build guns as good or even better but they are not Mil-Spec....materials and processes will differ from the Mil-Spec.
BCM, LaRue, LMT , Stoner and a few others have the knowledge to substitute materials and processes that results in a gun as good or maybe a touch better than a Colt, however "Bubba's Barber Shop and Gun Factory" most certainly does not...building to a quality specification costs time and money and this is reflected in price.
If you want a quality chromed lined barrel then you need a BCM, they actually last a little longer than the Colt and seem to be a little more accurate.
Hard use dudes of which I am not one, swear by the BCM products...they are reasonably priced for the quality and work.
Sorry for the long post.
Art
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2012 at 19:35
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/18/2012
Location: flagstaff
Status: Offline
Points: 108
Originally posted by gulf1263 gulf1263 wrote:

S&W has two lines of M-4 type carbine, one is a hobby gun with non-chromed barrel, some made by Mossberg, the other is a law enforcement gun made to a higher spec with a chromed lined barrel, 1-7 or 1-8 twist, shot peened and MPI inspected bolt, F marked sight tower, etc.
The various components for the two different lines are obtained from different sub-contractors who produce to price for the hobby guns and to spec for the law enforcement guns, big difference in quality.
Colt has sold the Technical Data Package for the M-4 to the US Gov with the proviso that parts and guns can not be sold to the public...so if you ever see any parts made by FN it means they were stolen and having said parts could get you a prison term or a lot of unwanted attention by the Justice Dept., Homeland Security, etc.
Colt builds the only true Mil-Spec civilian M-4 since they are the only ones having the Tech Data Package, others may build guns as good or even better but they are not Mil-Spec....materials and processes will differ from the Mil-Spec.
BCM, LaRue, LMT , Stoner and a few others have the knowledge to substitute materials and processes that results in a gun as good or maybe a touch better than a Colt, however "Bubba's Barber Shop and Gun Factory" most certainly does not...building to a quality specification costs time and money and this is reflected in price.
If you want a quality chromed lined barrel then you need a BCM, they actually last a little longer than the Colt and seem to be a little more accurate.
Hard use dudes of which I am not one, swear by the BCM products...they are reasonably priced for the quality and work.
Sorry for the long post.
Art
ART
This is why I love this forum, Very informative, thank you.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2012 at 06:26
cheaptrick View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: September/27/2004
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 20479
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:



Rainier Arms also has they line of select match barrels and ultra match barrels that are crazy accurate as well.

Rainier Arms is a great source of AR gear. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2012 at 09:00
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master
Avatar
Superstool

Joined: January/03/2008
Location: Utah
Status: Offline
Points: 9533
Art, i think u are misinformed about FN barrels. Youcan buy fn made barrels from several manufacturers they are no no secret recipe or anything. Spikes tactical uses them, del-ton does as well as several others. I highy doubt they stole those barrels from the goberment and are now advertising they have them.

The whole hobby gun thing is hard to swallow as well. For 99% of civilian shooters your "hobby" type guns will last them forever. Even many of the cheaper priced brands have shot peaned and mpi bolts. That is nothing special these days. I have one u would probably clasify as a "hobby" gun and it has over 15000 rounds on it. Yep i have put 3 barrels on it and changed a few little parts, but it still runs like a top. Never gave me any issues.

And most importantly, a most civilian shooters will never shoot 5000 rounds theough an ar in its whole life, so why spend two or three times the money for an AR that may be 10% better. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2012 at 10:29
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/18/2012
Location: flagstaff
Status: Offline
Points: 108
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Art, i think u are misinformed about FN barrels. Youcan buy fn made barrels from several manufacturers they are no no secret recipe or anything. Spikes tactical uses them, del-ton does as well as several others. I highy doubt they stole those barrels from the goberment and are now advertising they have them.

The whole hobby gun thing is hard to swallow as well. For 99% of civilian shooters your "hobby" type guns will last them forever. Even many of the cheaper priced brands have shot peaned and mpi bolts. That is nothing special these days. I have one u would probably clasify as a "hobby" gun and it has over 15000 rounds on it. Yep i have put 3 barrels on it and changed a few little parts, but it still runs like a top. Never gave me any issues.

And most importantly, a most civilian shooters will never shoot 5000 rounds theough an ar in its whole life, so why spend two or three times the money for an AR that may be 10% better. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Thx supertool
I have a S&W piston AR that I've shot at least 2000 rounds through it and is still performing like a champ(which it should). This Gun was my first AR purchase and id like to think it was a good choice. I eventually want to do some upgrades and I thought an FN Barrel would be a great idea, however I'll consider the other posts as well, thx guys.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2012 at 10:33
cheaptrick View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: September/27/2004
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 20479
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:



The whole hobby gun thing is hard to swallow as well. For 99% of civilian shooters your "hobby" type guns will last them forever. Even many of the cheaper priced brands have shot peaned and mpi bolts. That is nothing special these days. I have one u would probably clasify as a "hobby" gun and it has over 15000 rounds on it. Yep i have put 3 barrels on it and changed a few little parts, but it still runs like a top. Never gave me any issues.

And most importantly, a most civilian shooters will never shoot 5000 rounds theough an ar in its whole life, so why spend two or three times the money for an AR that may be 10% better. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

ST nailed it. This whole "Mil Spec, ARFCOM, must Co Witness" thing drives me bats. 

Not dissing ARFCOM, because there's a TON of very informed posters there, but MAN.....some of the rest of the goblins that post there are out in space, IMHO. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2012 at 17:05
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: June/15/2011
Location: Alaska
Status: Offline
Points: 212
The FN barrels being sold commercially are their own design, I have heard they are hammer forged which is a upgrade over the Colt...when I talked about FN components I meant mil-spec.
I have a S&W hobby gun, giving the upper to friend who needs a replacement for his fixed carry handle upper and putting on a BCM with new bolt.
A quality hobby gun works for most people, just wanted to make people aware of the differences...S&W has a reputation to uphold, their hobby guns even though built to price seem to work well for most applications.
Part of the point I was trying to make was that by careful shopping, you might be able to find a better quality gun for not much more money, this to me is a bargain.
If a person intends to take high round count training courses then the mil-spec gun will save them much grief and aggravation...I and many others have been down that road.
Because there is so much junk and misinformation floating around I was trying to explain the differences.
Getting an AR that works is important even if you have to spend a bit more, the S&W M&P 15 is a very good place to start.
My advice to folks has been to get one before they are again over-regulated/banned, if you find you are a hard use kind of person then you can always upgrade your upper, if not just have fun.
For me shooting is a hobby, no more life and death stuff....I need to get out more and relax.
I may get another AR just to have, so that I can pass it on, it will probably be a S&W.
Enjoy whatever you get.
Art
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2012 at 19:33
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master
Avatar
Superstool

Joined: January/03/2008
Location: Utah
Status: Offline
Points: 9533
del-ton has a new model they just came out with that is a supposed super heavy duty, heavy use rifle. When i called them and asked them what made it better, they told me the only difference was it had a FN chrome lined barrel. Every thing else like the mpi tested bolt, etc etc is a part of all their rifles. It is several hundred more for the one with the FN barrel. Personally i would get the basic one and shoot the barrel out them by a white oak or rainier arms select match for it. Those barrels are crazy accurate.

Right now will be a tough time to find ar parts. A lot of places are out of stock of everything. I would get buying parts asap if u are wanting stuff
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2012 at 22:07
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/18/2012
Location: flagstaff
Status: Offline
Points: 108
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

del-ton has a new model they just came out with that is a supposed super heavy duty, heavy use rifle. When i called them and asked them what made it better, they told me the only difference was it had a FN chrome lined barrel. Every thing else like the mpi tested bolt, etc etc is a part of all their rifles. It is several hundred more for the one with the FN barrel. Personally i would get the basic one and shoot the barrel out them by a white oak or rainier arms select match for it. Those barrels are crazy accurate.

Right now will be a tough time to find ar parts. A lot of places are out of stock of everything. I would get buying parts asap if u are wanting stuff
I was wondering if those del tons were any good, I have a friend whose looking for an AR, Ill give him the info, thx
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2012 at 22:15
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/18/2012
Location: flagstaff
Status: Offline
Points: 108
Hey guys
 
I started a new post around Nemo Barrels the other day, but no one has responded to it, anyone heard of them?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2012 at 23:34
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master
Avatar
Superstool

Joined: January/03/2008
Location: Utah
Status: Offline
Points: 9533
Delton makes great stuff. I have used their kits for probably 10 or so builds for myself and helping buddies. All of them have been very good for us.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2012 at 17:13
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: June/15/2011
Location: Alaska
Status: Offline
Points: 212
FYI, the S&W M&P 15 is available for less than $700.00 at quite a few gunshops and stores.
This is the flat top with 5.56 chamber, 1/9 twist and folding sights, no carry handle.
Full retail is $740.00 so it is a bargain and you get S&W's improved customer service.
I saw a very rough Wyndam (made by the former owner of Bushmaster) for $475.00...I wouldn't buy one but someone might be able to use one.
That's less than some of the make believe/airsoft stuff.
The Deltons I have seen sell for more than the S&W.
Colts are available for $1,200.00 on up depending where you shop, that's less than many non mil-spec guns.
Like 1911's you can go from inexpensive to "how could someone pay that much".
Also like a 1911 you can customize and upgrade...again the sky is the limit.
Before some kind of ban comes you should get an AR if you can, if you have one, get another for your kids or grandkids.
The new American musket...the AR-15.
Art

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2012 at 17:53
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: September/21/2009
Location: Houston Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 238
Dude, I am sorry but they aren't going to ban those things, they are making to much money on them. They may tax them, but their is to much money being passed around to people who matter.
Just my opinion, and observation.

For the foreseeable future anyhow.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2012 at 21:49
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/18/2012
Location: flagstaff
Status: Offline
Points: 108
Originally posted by gulf1263 gulf1263 wrote:

FYI, the S&W M&P 15 is available for less than $700.00 at quite a few gunshops and stores.
This is the flat top with 5.56 chamber, 1/9 twist and folding sights, no carry handle.
Full retail is $740.00 so it is a bargain and you get S&W's improved customer service.
I saw a very rough Wyndam (made by the former owner of Bushmaster) for $475.00...I wouldn't buy one but someone might be able to use one.
That's less than some of the make believe/airsoft stuff.
The Deltons I have seen sell for more than the S&W.
Colts are available for $1,200.00 on up depending where you shop, that's less than many non mil-spec guns.
Like 1911's you can go from inexpensive to "how could someone pay that much".
Also like a 1911 you can customize and upgrade...again the sky is the limit.
Before some kind of ban comes you should get an AR if you can, if you have one, get another for your kids or grandkids.
The new American musket...the AR-15.
Art

Art
 
Where did you see them for $700? Im seeing them for around $800 to $850, thx
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 18:21
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: June/15/2011
Location: Alaska
Status: Offline
Points: 212
Hi Paul:
You have to look for the version WITHOUT the carry handle...most places are selling the version with the detachable carry handle.
The version without the carry handle has a folding rear sight and some have Mossberg barrels...always make sure you get a gun with a real 5.56 chamber, NOT a .223.
If you go to the S&W website you can find the product number, you may have to order it from a dealer who carries S&W.
I saw one in Anchorage, Alaska...$699.99, check some of the big dealers and distributors in your area, Sportsman Warehouse, Bass Pro Shop, Cabela's and others may have them in the "lower 48".
I saw the Wyndam (?) at Fred Meyer in Anchorage on super-sale.
You may have to research the S&W website for a law-enforcement dealer or large distributor in your area and order one but they are out there if you check.
Art
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 18:28
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: June/15/2011
Location: Alaska
Status: Offline
Points: 212
Checked the S&W website, S&W M&P 15 Sport, SKU 811036, price retail is $739.00, barrel is not chromed lined and twist is 1/8.
Art
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 18:30
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master
Avatar
Superstool

Joined: January/03/2008
Location: Utah
Status: Offline
Points: 9533
There are two of those on gunbroker right now for $650 buy it now
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2012 at 18:54
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/18/2012
Location: flagstaff
Status: Offline
Points: 108
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

There are two of those on gunbroker right now for $650 buy it now

Thx guys, I was looking at buds and forgot to look at gunbroker:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "Smith & Wesson M4 Barrels"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
Smith and Wesson scope axe333 Rifle Scopes 1 9/28/2005 2:44:20 PM
Smith and Wesson riflescopes martin3175 Rifle Scopes 0 7/18/2006 9:11:55 AM
Smith & Wesson Model 34 SVT_Tactical Firearms For Sale 5
Smith & Wesson Sigma SVT_Tactical Firearms 12
Smith & Wesson Long Rifle? TPS_Phil Firearms 5 1/30/2007 2:34:43 AM
H&R handi rifle barrels MADMATT Firearms 10
Hot Smith & Wesson Chris Farris Firearms 12
Barrel Blanks & GUNSMITHS 338LAPUASLAP Firearms 3
s&w m&p sights rustic Firearms 34
M&P15-22 & Weaver V3 sholling Rimfire / Airgun 4


This page was generated in 0.531 seconds.