New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Scope Shield
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

Scope Shield

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options Page  1 2>
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 20:52
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 18347




I've had the Scope Shield on my Zeiss Victory Diavari for almost two weeks now.  I had another brand on it, but the Scope Shield has permanently replaced it.  
As stated elsewhere in the Forum, the Scope Shield is neoprene, but has more "stretch" than others of similar construction.  It has two straps, a long one on the fore end, a short one on the butt end.  The long strap goes over the barrel and stock fore end to keep it "attached" to the rifle while the scope is in use.. THAT is a really nifty feature.  The butt end strap is for quick removal of the shield from the scope for quick shot situations.  The consistency of the neoprene is such that a simple pull on the butt end strap allows a snap release of shield from the scope while the fore end strap keeps the shield attached to the rifle for easy replacement when the scope is not in use.  I tried it with gloved hands, with bare hands, with my teeth... it is EASY to get the shield off for a snap shot.  The shield just kind of flips off and is held on the rifle by the fore end strap.  It's one of those things that is so simple you say, "WHY didn't I think of that????"  I tested the Scope Shield's water repulsion and found that while it is not waterproof, it is highly resistant.  A long day in the rain and it will be soaked, but it tends to wick water away from the scope surface.  I have several tactical scopes that Scope Shield would not work well on, but I plan to get one for each of my hunting rifle scopes.  One of the fastest, if not the fastest, scope cover removal systems I have seen, protective of the scope body and lenses, and almost impossible to lose.  

Wish I had thought of that..
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 21:12
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: April/05/2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 3199
 That's probably a lot better than the 2-inch wide band of car tire innertube that I've always used on my hunting scopes.
 They don't always seal tightly on the ends in very cold weather.
And I really never cared too much for the commercial flip-up lens caps for some reason I can't logically explain.
 
Thanks for the review, Dan.
 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:47
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar

Joined: November/25/2007
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline
Points: 5389
Thats one UGLY scope coat, in my eyes.  Functional maybe, ugly yes.


Edited by lucytuma - October/05/2009 at 19:48
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 19:51
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 18347
Personally, don't care what it looks like, just how it performs...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 20:29
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar

Joined: November/25/2007
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline
Points: 5389
I agree, if it works fantatastic who cares what it looks like.  I believe this same subject was brought up a year ago on this product.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 20:52
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 18347
I was only aware of it a couple of weeks ago.  To me, it is worthy of review and worth the time spent.  I don't recommend a lot of things, but I recommend this for anyone who has good optics, hunts (actually hunts) in brushy areas, and wants protection and fast access.  As I reported, I have some scopes it won't work on, but those it will will wear one...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 21:19
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar

Joined: November/25/2007
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline
Points: 5389
Don't get me wrong Tazz, I'm not trying to knock this product or your review,  I did a search and couldn't find anything thing on it on our site, but I'm almost certain some guy was trying to peddle these about a year ago.  I think its great that people are trying to bring new and innovative products to our sport, please don't let me get in the way of this discussion.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 21:26
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 18347
You are NOT in the way and no offense taken or implied.  What I REALLY like about it is the fast removal, yet it stays with the rifle... quick reattachment.  
I like FUNCTIONAL things...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2009 at 21:48
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar

Joined: December/02/2006
Location: Montana
Status: Offline
Points: 5431
got a couple sitting on my rifles and now that we are getting some good snow here in Montana, I can really test them.  I will say so far, that I will be getting one for each of my guns it will fit.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 05:00
cheaptrick View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: September/27/2004
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 20479
Thanks for your review, Dan. Is this a one size fits all deal, or are there different sizes?
 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 05:55
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar

Joined: December/02/2006
Location: Montana
Status: Offline
Points: 5431
There are different sizes for different length of scope.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 06:20
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 18347
Send them your scope info brand, power range, and if you have measurements, it probably helps.  They will send you an appropriate size.  However, some of my scope are REALLY long w/sunshade and some have "obstructions" which would not be conducive to quick removal of such a cover.  Others are good to go...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 14:27
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: November/14/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 88
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Personally, don't care what it looks like, just how it performs...


Maybe I am just more superficially oriented, but I demand 'some' style and much function. For instance......rear opposed to side focus, I am inclined to go with the side simply based on looks and 'some' weight balance. I have had both rear and side and prefer the side based only on looks and they are a tad easier to make fine adjustments.Any comments?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 14:51
cheaptrick View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: September/27/2004
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 20479
I prefer rear or AO on the objective because I'm a lefty and like to correct parralax with my "off" hand. Wink 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 15:03
0311GRUNT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: November/14/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 88
I presume AO is the Correct term...yes? Thank you.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 15:36
cheaptrick View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: September/27/2004
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 20479
Originally posted by 0311GRUNT 0311GRUNT wrote:

I presume AO is the Correct term...yes? Thank you.
 
AO means adjustable objective, which means you correct parralax at the objective housing, in front.
Then theres a rear focus, like some SS models, and finally, theres side focus.
 
BTW, welcome to Optics Talk! Glad to have another Marine on board!
Marines  


Edited by cheaptrick - November/15/2009 at 15:37
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 16:02
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 18347
Originally posted by 0311GRUNT 0311GRUNT wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Personally, don't care what it looks like, just how it performs...


Maybe I am just more superficially oriented, but I demand 'some' style and much function. For instance......rear opposed to side focus, I am inclined to go with the side simply based on looks and 'some' weight balance. I have had both rear and side and prefer the side based only on looks and they are a tad easier to make fine adjustments.Any comments?
I was speaking to a field scope cover, not scopes, scope adjustments or rifles...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 16:14
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 12712
In the field hunting, what are the advantages/situations one would use the "scope shield" vs. let's say "butler creek" style flip ups?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 16:22
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 18347
I assume you are using objective and ocular flipups.  That means you have to make two moves... With the Scope Shield, I only have to make one.  In a stalk, that can be quite a difference.  If you read the review, I tried the removal with gloves, with my teeth and with bare fingers.  In every case, the removal is quiet, efficient.  It will also serve as a barrier between your stock and a hard rest.  
I'm not trying to convince anyone else to purchase one.  I'm giving you my review based upon actual usage.  I don't know how long it will maintain its flexibilty (which is important).  But the new item is pretty good.  If you don't like the way it looks, don't get one.  I don't particularly care for the way it looks, but looks don't take game.  I have another brand that looks better, but is much more difficult to remove and once removed I have to keep up with it.  

It works for me...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 17:14
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 12712
Thanks KB, I did read the review awhile ago and as usual you did a fine job!!!

I'm not judging the cover on looks just wanted to know if you found using the "scope shield" more of advantage hunting vs. "flip ups" maybe in the snow or another type of situation I don't normally hunt. I think in rain it would be a toss up between either product and it would be personal preference.


I find the "flips ups" extremely fast, push a button on one end and at the same time a flip of the thumb on the other unless your using the "see through" style caps. Currently I have the strapless Leopold style covers but only for transportation, in the safe, or maybe at the cabin.



Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 19:21
Kickboxer View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Moderator

Joined: February/13/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 18347
Mike, I have the Butler Creeks on all my "tactical scopes" (except the new 10xHD SS, which I don't have any covers for yet.  It will get Butler Creeks).  For one thing I don't think Scope Shield makes an item big enough for one of those scopes.  I agree that the flip ups are fast, but, to me, they have a different function.  The Scope Shield fits a particular need, for me.  I reread my answer, hope it did not sound harsh.  NOt intended to be.  As I said, though, I'm not trying to sell these things, just letting people know how they function for me.  
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 22:27
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 12712
Thunbs Up    Thunbs Up

Dan, my friend, no problem!!!! Big Smile
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2009 at 22:50
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: November/13/2008
Location: Montana
Status: Offline
Points: 4625
I was skeptical about the Scope Shield and was really proud of the polarized flip-ups that NF sent along with my 2.5-10x32. However, those polarized flip-ups were too dark for use in timber (maybe they work great in Iraq) and I lost both without even hunting that heavily. The Scope Shield, on the other hand, works. I often leave it off but like having it when transporting the rifle or just toting it in my gun bearer. One thing I use it for (don't laugh) is for insulating one or both hands when carrying the rifle ready to fire. The bare metal on my bipod is pretty cold even with gloves on so I just cradle it with the Scope Shield. I also sometimes lower the left leg of the bipod and carry the rifle on top of my pack. Then I can hold the bipod leg with my left arm and the stock with my right and stretch my back muscles a bit. Again, I just wrap the Scope Shield around the bipod leg for the insulation. I haven't lost it yet either because of the front strap.

I am impressed enough that I ordered one for my Premier and while it doesn't completely cover the wider parallax/illum. and windage knobs, it protects that fancy scope pretty well. Terry was helpful in choosing the right size and shipped it promptly. So, yeah, the guy may have miffed a couple of people early on, but he's been a good poster on this forum (while sometimes still working in a subtle promo or two Big Smile), and heck, it's only like $15 or so with shipping. Like the Lee Auto Prime I just bought I consider it a bargain.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 11:34
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist


Joined: January/27/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 785
I did a little write-up elsewhere on OT a couple of months ago.
 
I have never been all that fond of the flip-up caps, partly because they can be noisy, and partly because they are so scope-particular. Did like the older Uncle Mike's style of cap, two end-caps connected by a big rubber band, because they could be snapped off the scope really fast, with one hand, but they were also pretty scope particular.
 
The Scpe Shield solves the scope-particular problem to a large extent, because one size will stretch at least a couple of inches to cover a wide variety of scopes. Also, since I travel a lot, the padding around the scope really helps, especially on airplanes. They also shuck off quietly.
 
I really field-tested them in the rain in Alaska in August, where I hunted for a couple weeks, and they always kept the scope lenses dry.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2009 at 12:57
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: November/13/2008
Location: Montana
Status: Offline
Points: 4625
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Send them your scope info brand, power range, and if you have measurements, it probably helps.  They will send you an appropriate size.  However, some of my scope are REALLY long w/sunshade and some have "obstructions" which would not be conducive to quick removal of such a cover.  Others are good to go...


If in doubt, I'd contact them. I wasn't sure with my Premier because of some conflicting info I had and because the lens covers add a lot (something I'd leave on just for transport mostly). There is a page where you can find your scope by brand. However, if you click on the link you need Excel or something that will view Excel files (I'd fix that by putting them in a web-readable format). As it turned out, partially because of the stretch, the one they recommended for the Premier was correct. Apparently you can get a custom one made too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  1 2>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "Scope Shield"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
Scope Shield of Alaska John Barsness Rifle Scopes 24
Another Scope Shield endorsement jonoMT Rifle Scopes 1
Scope Shield of Alaska Review helo18 Member's Tests and Reviews 0
Raven Wear vs. Arctic Shield Stud Duck General Hunting 2
Monarch Eye Shields..? Jaybird Binoculars 0 3/3/2006 9:25:32 PM
CZ 527 SCOPE/ NO SCOPE? JAMINGRIZZ Rifle Scopes 16
Shield Tactical RifleDude Firearms 2
what makes a scope a shogun scope? axaviere Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes 5
Glock 43 Talo vs Smith Shield Performance Center JLud Firearms 30
Scopes, Scopes, and More Scopes! Ernie Bishop Rifle Scopes 3


This page was generated in 0.375 seconds.