A few quick thoughts, in no special order:
1. The SS scopes are a HUGE value for their price point; but they drain batteries like none I have ever used. I remove mine between range sessions and sometimes don't even put them in for range sessions.
2. Fortunately, the 1-4X has a nice little "extra battery" compartment, that serves more as my battery compartment than as an extra.
3. None of my other illuminated scopes require this.
4. Be mindful that our gracious host, SWFA, is also the maker of the 1-4 and 1-6 in question. They have never asked for pulling punches on their gear (nor do I think the gear needs it) but bashing their stuff for the sake of bashing won't be well taken here.
5. I don't own the 1-6X but do have a 1-4X and love it. The battery issue is a pisser in certain instances, but I make do. My goto AR doesn't wear a 1-4X or 1-6X SWFA for this reason, but in truth I cannot imagine my goto gun running anything other than Aimpoint or Trijicon.