New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - reloading for semi auto..............
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

reloading for semi auto..............

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 14:23
bobaldoo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: June/06/2011
Location: alberta canada
Status: Offline
Points: 72
is there a max fps on reloads for a mini 14(223). wasn't sure if the added pressures would effect the gas system...and if so where does a person find that info......thanks......
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 14:45
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: February/12/2008
Location: Ky
Status: Offline
Points: 12362
Sounds like your new to reloading. If you haven't got a reloading manual, you need to go to a gunshop that sells reloading equipment and pick one or two up. Read them carefully, they should be able to answer your question and you will NEED the manual for reference.
If I'm wrong; what is your experience?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 14:56
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: November/13/2008
Location: Montana
Status: Offline
Points: 4117
It's a good question to ask though. I've always been careful to load my semi-auto (M1 Garand) to not be hot. Otherwise you'll risk bending the op rod...same would apply to the M1A/M14 or the mini. Also, you need to always full-length resize. Check out the manuals at your local store as Beltfed advised. There's like some starting loads specific to .223 for the mini.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 20:59
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Resident Redneck

Joined: June/20/2005
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline
Points: 13022
With  .223 and 5.56mm NATO the semi auto actually is a tad hotter than the bolt guns.  The Horniday manual is the best refrence. Note 7.62 mm NATO vs .308 the military rifles load lighter bullets with lower powder charge than bolt guns so just the opposite holds true.  Buy the Horniday manual.
Also it is very important to measure case length and trim and to measure over all length.  

69 gr Sierra (overall length 2.25")

Powder Type
Grains
Notes
Reloader 15Thunbs Up
24.0 to 24.8
This is my favorite load with the 69 grain bullet. It is extremely accurate and consistant. Very good velocity.
Varget
24.0 to 25.0
Very accurate. You may have trouble obtaining the velocity of faster burning powders. Also, Varget powder burns dirtier than Reloader 15.
AA 2460 23.5 to 24.0 Very accurate and excellent load. It is a ball powder, so it measures very well. No chronograph data.
Hogdon 4895 24.0 Shoots very well, but it does not meter very well, as it is a medium stick powder.


Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/02/2011 at 21:01
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 21:40
bobaldoo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: June/06/2011
Location: alberta canada
Status: Offline
Points: 72
my point exactly, i load 23 gr of benchmark powder that pushes a 55 gr bullet 3050 fps(nosler #6 book) its the smallest load from benchmark but was told recently if the load is to hot it can damage the gun...so was looking for a happy medium between accuracy and not blowing up....
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 21:56
bobaldoo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: June/06/2011
Location: alberta canada
Status: Offline
Points: 72
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:





With  .223 and 5.56mm NATO the semi auto actually is a tad hotter than the bolt guns.  The Horniday manual is the best refrence. Note 7.62 mm NATO vs .308 the military rifles load lighter bullets with lower powder charge than bolt guns so just the opposite holds true.  Buy the Horniday manual.
Also it is very important to measure case length and trim and to measure over all length.  
<table border="1" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="4" width="610" align="center">
<t>
<t><t><tr vAlign="middle" align="center">
<td colSpan="3">

<h4>69 gr Sierra (overall length 2.25")</h4>
</td></tr>
<tr vAlign="middle" align="center">
<td height="32" width="139">
Powder Type
</td>
<td height="32" width="98">
Grains
</td>
<td height="32" width="365">
Notes
</td></tr>
<tr vAlign="top" align="center">
<td height="52" width="139">
Reloader 15Thunbs Up
</td>
<td height="52" width="98">
24.0 to 24.8
</td>
<td height="52" width="365" align="left">This is my favorite load
with the 69 grain bullet. It is extremely accurate and consistant. Very good
velocity.
</td></tr>
<tr vAlign="top" align="center">
<td height="32" width="139">
Varget
</td>
<td height="32" width="98">
24.0 to 25.0
</td>
<td height="32" width="365" align="left">Very accurate. You may
have trouble obtaining the velocity of faster burning powders. Also, Varget
powder burns dirtier than Reloader 15.
</td></tr>
<tr vAlign="top" align="center">
<td height="2" width="139">AA 2460 </td>
<td height="2" width="98">23.5 to 24.0</td>
<td height="2" width="365" align="left">Very accurate and
excellent load. It is a ball powder, so it measures very well. No chronograph
data.
</td></tr>
<tr vAlign="top" align="center">
<td height="16" width="139">Hogdon 4895 </td>
<td height="16" width="98">24.0</td>
<td height="16" width="365" align="left">Shoots very well, but it
does not meter very well, as it is a medium stick
powder.
</td></tr></t></t></t></table>


my case length are all 1.750 to the letter, and my oal are all set by a competition seater die so they are all the same....was just wondering if to hot of a load will damage the gas driven system .....           thanks for all the help fella's.............
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 22:15
bobaldoo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: June/06/2011
Location: alberta canada
Status: Offline
Points: 72
Originally posted by bobaldoo bobaldoo wrote:

my point exactly, i load 23 gr of benchmark powder that pushes a 55 gr bullet 3050 fps(nosler #6 book) its the smallest load from benchmark but was told recently if the load is to hot it can damage the gun...so was looking for a happy medium between accuracy and not blowing up....
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 15:25
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: October/31/2009
Location: Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 1528
Howdy bobaldoo,

"...was just wondering if to hot of a load will damage the gas driven system..."

Yes
You will want to load for your Mini-14 using .223 data as milspec (5.56) is loaded to quite a bit higher pressure. 

Your given load looks ok... Hodgdon (online) lists 23.4- 25.6 gr. max load .223 for Benchmark with 2 different bullets, so you can see that different bullets require different powder charges. 

Also as example, Ramshot lists .223 charges of TAC powder from 24 gr. - 25.8 gr. depending on which  55gr. bullet is loaded.
Other mfg.'s would do us all a favor by following  Ramshot's testing/publishing methods for load data as Ramshot does a great job of presenting load data.
 http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ramshot_handgun_rifle.pdf 


You could ladder- test to find what's most accurate for your rifle and also determine where your fired cases start to show pressure signs.

It would be very useful to you to study the reloading pages at:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/42_Reloading.html 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 22:36
bobaldoo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: June/06/2011
Location: alberta canada
Status: Offline
Points: 72
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Howdy bobaldoo,

"...was just wondering if to hot of a load will damage the gas driven system..."

Yes
You will want to load for your Mini-14 using .223 data as milspec (5.56) is loaded to quite a bit higher pressure. 

Your given load looks ok... Hodgdon (online) lists 23.4- 25.6 gr. max load .223 for Benchmark with 2 different bullets, so you can see that different bullets require different powder charges. 

Also as example, Ramshot lists .223 charges of TAC powder from 24 gr. - 25.8 gr. depending on which  55gr. bullet is loaded.
Other mfg.'s would do us all a favor by following  Ramshot's testing/publishing methods for load data as Ramshot does a great job of presenting load data.
 http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ramshot_handgun_rifle.pdf 


You could ladder- test to find what's most accurate for your rifle and also determine where your fired cases start to show pressure signs.



It would be very useful to you to study the reloading pages at:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/42_Reloading.html 

i loaded all three nosler loads from benchmark and found that the 23 gr is the most accurate and shows no signs of pressure what so ever, i can shoot under a 2 inch group from that load and thats the best this gun has ever done, factory or handloads..so i was kinda hopeing to keep it....thanks for the links of thoughs sites i will be reading through them..........


Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 00:22
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: December/11/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 365
With my experience;
 
-The Hodgdon "Extreme" line of powders are more consistent (velocity) than the Alliant powders as the temperature changes.
 
-The Alliant powders are no better or worse than other powders of it's class (temperature effects).
 
Here's an interesting article:
 
HTH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "reloading for semi auto.............."
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
optics for semi-auto long range isshogai Tactical Scopes 23
optics for FN slp semi-auto shotgun timmy d Tactical Scopes 1
SAIGIA 12 gauge semi auto detachable mag Chris Farris Firearms For Sale 0
Accurate Semi Auto 22's SamC Firearms 14
Which scope Barrett 50 BMG semi auto RandyM Rifle Scopes 13
17 HMR SEMI AUTO Recall 3_tens Firearms 15
semi-auto or not for hogs skydogIII Firearms 14
Base for this Browning Semi Auto SVT_Tactical Rings and bases 7
.308 Semi Auto Hunting/Battle Rifle njmoericke Firearms 46
FNH FNAR 7.62mm .308 Win Semi Auto Seamaster Firearms For Sale 1


This page was generated in 0.157 seconds.