Print Page | Close Window

people are crazy...

Printed From: OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc.
Category: Everything Else
Forum Name: Almost Anything Goes
Forum Description: Non OpticsTalk Talk
URL: http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=46205
Printed Date: August/14/2020 at 20:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: people are crazy...
Posted By: Kickboxer
Subject: people are crazy...
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 09:01
There is a country and western song about that... God, beer, crazy people...

My wife and I went to COSTCO yesterday, as we do about every two to three weeks.  Got there at about 40 minutes after opening.  Parking lot was FULL, inside was a madhouse.  We got the things we were after and got out as quickly as possible, but in the process noticed that ALL the toilet paper and tissue products were gone and paper towels were in a mad dash mode... in the cashier line, the person in front of us had 4 baskets, each with 15 cases of bottled water (60 cases).  Maybe she was going to drown someone.  
I've been watching the new EPIX TV series "The War of the Worlds".  In every episode, I've been telling my wife that people are actually not that stupid, not that crazy.  I was completely wrong.  COSTCO proved it... if the aliens ever DO attack... humanity is doomed.  

Beware the Ides of March...


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living



Replies:
Posted By: Rancid Coolaid
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 09:32
And hand sanitizer, also gone. And disinfectant wipes, also gone.

It's like a huge portion of our populace just discovered the health benefits of wiping their ass and washing their hands.

It is amazing, and it will get worse before it gets better.

And yea, I started that one too, it looks pretty good - at least the first few episodes.

-------------
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 09:35
When training preppers I always watch for the look on their faces when I tell them how unprepared most are for the things we take for granted. Usually a look of mild panic. Toilet paper, feminine hygiene and eye glasses. When you consider life without those it gets pretty depressing. Can't see, smell bad and perpetual yeast infections. Talk about an angry world. That was life in Iraq for that population. Most likely still is. When we would give a new prisoner his necessities bag they would almost always take out the roll of toilet paper and have a very puzzled look. Never seen it before and didn't know what it was for.
 
 
"if the aliens ever DO attack... humanity is doomed." 
 
IF...........................They may not have attacked but, they are here..................... 
 


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: Tip69
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 09:38
went to Costco yesterday as well..... it would be our time for TP as we're about out.  they had none, so I stocked up on wine!

-------------
take em!


Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 09:44
Just about as stupid in Ontario. Even though the health professionals have been telling people that masks are generally ineffective can’t find them for love nor money. Strange thing is my wife and I just flew into Miami yesterday and very few people had masks in the airport and fewer still on our flight. Of course that could be because all the mask wearing types are afraid to travel.

-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: supertool73
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 09:46
Was a dinner with some friends last night.  One guy said he was driving through town the other day and saw a big truck parked at a house unloading a pallet of water and a pallet of TP.  He said he looked back into their big garage and they had 3 more pallets of each inside already.  He stopped and took pictures.  I am all about being prepared, but 4 pallets of TP?  I mean come on, how much pooping do they really expect to do?


-------------
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."


Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 10:46
From a Toronto Doctor:

I’m a doctor and an Infectious Diseases Specialist. I’ve been at this for more than 20 years seeing sick patients on a daily basis. I have worked in inner city hospitals and in the poorest slums of Africa. HIV-AIDS, Hepatitis,TB, SARS, Measles, Shingles, Whooping cough, Diphtheria…there is little I haven’t been exposed to in my profession. And with notable exception of SARS, very little has left me feeling vulnerable, overwhelmed or downright scared.

I am not scared of Covid-19. I am concerned about the implications of a novel infectious agent that has spread the world over and continues to find new footholds in different soil. I am rightly concerned for the welfare of those who are elderly, in frail health or disenfranchised who stand to suffer mostly, and disproportionately, at the hands of this new scourge. But I am not scared of Covid-19.

What I am scared about is the loss of reason and wave of fear that has induced the masses of society into a spellbinding spiral of panic, stockpiling obscene quantities of anything that could fill a bomb shelter adequately in a post-apocalyptic world. I am scared of the N95 masks that are stolen from hospitals and urgent care clinics where they are actually needed for front line healthcare providers and instead are being donned in airports, malls, and coffee lounges, perpetuating even more fear and suspicion of others. I am scared that our hospitals will be overwhelmed with anyone who thinks they ” probably don’t have it but may as well get checked out no matter what because you just never know…” and those with heart failure, emphysema, pneumonia and strokes will pay the price for overfilled ER waiting rooms with only so many doctors and nurses to assess.

I am scared that travel restrictions will become so far reaching that weddings will be canceled, graduations missed and family reunions will not materialize. And well, even that big party called the Olympic Games…that could be kiboshed too. Can you even imagine?

I’m scared those same epidemic fears will limit trade, harm partnerships in multiple sectors, business and otherwise and ultimately culminate in a global recession.

But mostly, I’m scared about what message we are telling our kids when faced with a threat. Instead of reason, rationality, open-mindedness and altruism, we are telling them to panic, be fearful, suspicious, reactionary and self-interested.

Covid-19 is nowhere near over. It will be coming to a city, a hospital, a friend, even a family member near you at some point. Expect it. Stop waiting to be surprised further. The fact is the virus itself will not likely do much harm when it arrives. But our own behaviors and “fight for yourself above all else” attitude could prove disastrous.

I implore you all. Temper fear with reason, panic with patience and uncertainty with education. We have an opportunity to learn a great deal about health hygiene and limiting the spread of innumerable transmissible diseases in our society. Let’s meet this challenge together in the best spirit of compassion for others, patience, and above all, an unfailing effort to seek truth, facts and knowledge as opposed to conjecture, speculation and catastrophizing.

Facts not fear. Clean hands. Open hearts.


Wish everyone would understand this!




-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 12:56
Craig, Have you completely lost your mind!!!!!!!!!! Posting such propaganda of reason and common sense!!! The very nerve!! This is the twenty first century man! Try to stop being so old fashioned and wise...........Keep on and someone is going to have you committed!!
 


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 13:36


-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 13:40
DON’T DO IT TED!!!

I know you’re always “up” for a challenge but not this time I’m begging you!


-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 14:04
( ....time to run down to the liquor store!! )    Bucky

-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 20:15
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

From a Toronto Doctor:

I’m a doctor and an Infectious Diseases Specialist. I’ve been at this for more than 20 years seeing sick patients on a daily basis. I have worked in inner city hospitals and in the poorest slums of Africa. HIV-AIDS, Hepatitis,TB, SARS, Measles, Shingles, Whooping cough, Diphtheria…there is little I haven’t been exposed to in my profession. And with notable exception of SARS, very little has left me feeling vulnerable, overwhelmed or downright scared.

I am not scared of Covid-19. I am concerned about the implications of a novel infectious agent that has spread the world over and continues to find new footholds in different soil. I am rightly concerned for the welfare of those who are elderly, in frail health or disenfranchised who stand to suffer mostly, and disproportionately, at the hands of this new scourge. But I am not scared of Covid-19.

What I am scared about is the loss of reason and wave of fear that has induced the masses of society into a spellbinding spiral of panic, stockpiling obscene quantities of anything that could fill a bomb shelter adequately in a post-apocalyptic world. I am scared of the N95 masks that are stolen from hospitals and urgent care clinics where they are actually needed for front line healthcare providers and instead are being donned in airports, malls, and coffee lounges, perpetuating even more fear and suspicion of others. I am scared that our hospitals will be overwhelmed with anyone who thinks they ” probably don’t have it but may as well get checked out no matter what because you just never know…” and those with heart failure, emphysema, pneumonia and strokes will pay the price for overfilled ER waiting rooms with only so many doctors and nurses to assess.

I am scared that travel restrictions will become so far reaching that weddings will be canceled, graduations missed and family reunions will not materialize. And well, even that big party called the Olympic Games…that could be kiboshed too. Can you even imagine?

I’m scared those same epidemic fears will limit trade, harm partnerships in multiple sectors, business and otherwise and ultimately culminate in a global recession.

But mostly, I’m scared about what message we are telling our kids when faced with a threat. Instead of reason, rationality, open-mindedness and altruism, we are telling them to panic, be fearful, suspicious, reactionary and self-interested.

Covid-19 is nowhere near over. It will be coming to a city, a hospital, a friend, even a family member near you at some point. Expect it. Stop waiting to be surprised further. The fact is the virus itself will not likely do much harm when it arrives. But our own behaviors and “fight for yourself above all else” attitude could prove disastrous.

I implore you all. Temper fear with reason, panic with patience and uncertainty with education. We have an opportunity to learn a great deal about health hygiene and limiting the spread of innumerable transmissible diseases in our society. Let’s meet this challenge together in the best spirit of compassion for others, patience, and above all, an unfailing effort to seek truth, facts and knowledge as opposed to conjecture, speculation and catastrophizing.

Facts not fear. Clean hands. Open hearts.


Wish everyone would understand this!



Craig, thank you for posting that.  Everyone should keep a copy in their pocket to show to the idiots running rampant in our streets.  
I'm not a "prepper", but I am prepared.  I have everything I need to keep my family safe for at least 6 months, at need.  However, I am not afraid of coronavirus, most flus, colds, etc.  Don't like 'em, don't want 'em, not afraid of 'em.  A chemical attack, biological attack... that's different... 
This is another disease that probably jumped from animals to humans in a very poor, unsanitary portion of the world.  Some highly susceptible people (older, already ill, weak immune systems for whatever reason) will not make it through and I'm sorry for that... but the world will go on.  
This current panic is fomented by democrats and their minions in the "press".  Sad.  I hope they end up as embarrassed and left behind as they should be.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 20:16
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

And hand sanitizer, also gone. And disinfectant wipes, also gone.

It's like a huge portion of our populace just discovered the health benefits of wiping their ass and washing their hands.

It is amazing, and it will get worse before it gets better.

And yea, I started that one too, it looks pretty good - at least the first few episodes.

Overall, I find it OK... will see what the outcome is, but the stupidity of most of the players is wearying.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: supertool73
Date Posted: March/12/2020 at 20:26
one of my buddies manages a walmart. He just sent me pics of their shelves. Milks almost gone. Cereal isle is empty, noodle isle is empty. Laundry soap isle is empty. Medicine isles are empty. Tp is empty, water, cleaners, bread. He says he has never seen anything like it. He has been with walmart for about 20 years.
 He did say this will help his bonus. Lol


-------------
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: March/13/2020 at 08:00
Mrs.BF went to Walmart yesterday for our weekly groceries. Pretty much the same thing here. She said there was only 3 packs of TP left. Fortunately they were our brand, so she got one.

Yesterday afternoon I was talking to some of the folks in the admin building who work the business side of the port. One of them showed me  pictures  of Atlanta's and our terminal at what should have been busy times of the day. There was hardly anybody in both terminals. There are flights going out with as few as 8 passengers.

I've never seen such a panic over such an insignificant disease in all of my life. The usual suspects have turned the population into morons with a herd mentality.
God help us, PLEASE.


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: tahqua
Date Posted: March/13/2020 at 09:31
Forget Costco, Walmart and big boxes up here......all gone. All Michigan schools shut until April 5th. 
I haven't seen anything like this since we did the bend over and kiss your ass goodbye nuclear attack drills in school halls almost 60 years ago.


-------------
Doug


Posted By: Bigdaddy0381
Date Posted: March/13/2020 at 09:33
Un educated youth and jacked up politics is to blame for this sh*t storm. 



-------------
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2


Posted By: Sparky
Date Posted: March/13/2020 at 10:21
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.


Posted By: Scrumbag
Date Posted: March/13/2020 at 11:19
Well, today I bought a lot of good Czech beer. Picked up a fair bit of ammo the week before...

We have various things in freezers, cans etc

Cars are gassed up with some spare jerry cans...




-------------
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/15/2020 at 07:57
I quit going to WalMart two years ago.....( the Parking Lot Wars....plus you have to hike 100 yards to the building...)  

....then you got to wait in line ( only four of the seventeen registers are working...) and those Do-It-Yourself stations make me crazy!!    

I just order online.....they can deliver! ( I'm only three miles away!! )  Bucky


-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/15/2020 at 07:59
( I'm going to hire some neighbor boy on a bike to run and get me liquor! )   








-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: March/16/2020 at 07:08
I was at KCR Saturday and Sunday. People were buying ammo by the case, and the place was busy. Guns were going too.


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: supertool73
Date Posted: March/16/2020 at 09:15
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I was at KCR Saturday and Sunday. People were buying ammo by the case, and the place was busy. Guns were going too.








To protect their TP I bet.  Bucky


-------------
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/16/2020 at 09:58
Image result for dog dragging ass

There may be a spike in carpet cleaning this summer!  










-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/16/2020 at 10:00
Heard a guy bought out Dollar General's supply of $1.00 hand sanitizer... was selling it online for S70.00/bottle and SOLD OUT.  So he went to Dollar General and bought the next shipment...

People are CRAZY...




-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/16/2020 at 11:29
( I wonder if I can get a refund...)   Wink

-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/16/2020 at 11:30
Crude Oil at $29 a bbl!!!  I just got gas for $1.89!   

-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/16/2020 at 11:46







https://newsthud.com/Oregon-police-wants-people-who-ran-out-of-toilet-paper-to-stop-calling-9-1-1!!!!

https://newsthud.com/oregon-police-wants-people-who-ran-out-of-toilet-paper-to-stop-calling-9-1-1/ - https://newsthud.com/oregon-police-wants-people-who-ran-out-of-toilet-paper-to-stop-calling-9-1-1/






Image result for oliver hardy











-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/16/2020 at 11:50
I just went to a couple stores and bought some canned Chunky Soups and some veggies and several frozen french fries....


you can always stock up on Instant Mashed Potatoes ( and they stay good after opening the box).....you can make a batch of instant mashed potatoes cheap and pour a can of chili or chunky soup on top and pig out.....

.....for emergencies.....










-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: March/16/2020 at 21:29
A box of minute rice and a can of cream of chicken goes a long way. Kept the belly from growling many a time when work was off.
 

-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: March/17/2020 at 07:34
Well they have postponed the Kentucky Derby til Sept. 5th. Loonyville is going to take a BIG economic hit.
Schools and restaurants are closed tooLoco


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: magshooter1
Date Posted: March/18/2020 at 07:12
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

Crude Oil at $29 a bbl!!!  I just got gas for $1.89!   

$1.85 on Friday and $1.87 on Monday in Little Rock!


-------------
It's not the size of the campfire; it's the quality of the company.


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/18/2020 at 14:17
It was just $54 a BBL last week!!  Say What   

-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/18/2020 at 14:17
( Cruzan Rum is still the same price......)             

-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/18/2020 at 14:42


Image result for laurel hardy sons of the desert










-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/18/2020 at 17:31
Image result for 1177 bc the year civilization collapsed pinterest


Well, now is a good time for me to start my new book......







Image result for johnny carson carnac memes







-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: March/18/2020 at 19:24
The Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot has been cancelled!!!
This schit is serious!


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/18/2020 at 20:11
Who needs a machine gun shoot anyway???

They closed my CHURCH... reopen unknown...


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: DPI
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 02:47
Clearly these are no fans of all the Apocalypse Movies. As during all of these Movies, People go after, Guns Booze and women. You never, ever see anyone going for toilet paper.

Or have I missed something?

What is it with Toilet paper, is going to be the new currency, dry rations, object of worship, What!


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 03:02
( If you live on the streets of LA you can just use a dead rat! )   









-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 07:18
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Who needs a machine gun shoot anyway???

They closed my CHURCH... reopen unknown...






 


I do!
I need parts, ammo, knowledge, and fellowship.


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: DPI
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 07:38
Over the pond, we prefer a freshly shot squirrel. Nothing feels better on your butt. Warm, furry and does not wriggle too much.

Although I offer this as education:

Gargantua and Pantagruel is a book that has to be read to be believed. Written in the 16th century by a French monk, it still somehow manages to be cruder than an entire season of South Park. Ostensibly the tale of two giants and their misadventures in a grotesque version of Europe, it’s also famous for its long passages giving advice on everything from managing debt to foretelling the future. But the passage everyone remembers is the one about the goose.

In Chapter 13 of the first book, the characters take time out to discuss the best method for wiping oneself without toilet paper. After a long and heated debate on the merits of using everything from old hats to attorney’s bags to a spare slipper, they finally settle on the feathers of a goose. But they don’t mean any old feathers; they specifically mean the feathers of a goose’s neck. And for best results, they should still be attached to the goose. According to the book:

“But, to conclude, I say and maintain, that of all torcheculs, arsewisps, bumfodders, tail-napkins, bunghole cleansers, and wipe-breeches, there is none in the world comparable to the neck of a goose, that is well downed, if you hold her head betwixt your legs. And believe me therein upon mine honour, for you will thereby feel in your nockhole a most wonderful pleasure, both in regard of the softness of the said down and of the temporate heat of the goose, which is easily communicated to the bum-gut and the rest the inwards, in so far as to come even to the regions of the heart and brains.”

Quite why Rabelais settled on a goose has long been a matter for critical debate. Some have seen the whole discussion as emblematic of the “new era” of the Renaissance, when old certainties were washed away and the purpose of everything had to be rediscovered afresh. Others think it’s simply the perfect way to crown a diabolically funny scene. One thing’s for sure: Next time you get caught short in the woods, you’ll know to keep an eye out for any wandering geese.



Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 08:39
Sounds good Don except I’m allergic to feathers.

-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 08:48
I'd like to know how they got toilet paper in the 16th century.


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 09:08
Rice parchment!! Not so user friendly!!
 


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: DPI
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 09:30
Allergic to Feathers you say! Well its back to the squirrel option then.

In the UK Military back in the 70's. The on issue toilet paper in all the office, wash areas and accommodation toilets was made by a company called IZAL.

Now this stuff was of the same consistency as tinfoil; thin, smooth, waterproof and if you got an unexpected fold or corner in it, very, very sharp. For its intended purpose, nothing could have been more poorly designed. That was not the most weird part about it. Every sheet, I mean every sheet had the words 'Government Property' printed on it.

I mean who would have been desperate enough to steal it? If they did, what where they using it for?

Believe me it was not something you would use by choice.

We figured it was possibly a pre-selection for the SAS, anyone who was hard enough to use this stuff was an automatic candidate.




Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 09:31
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Who needs a machine gun shoot anyway???

They closed my CHURCH... reopen unknown...






 


I do!
I need parts, ammo, knowledge, and fellowship.
I was kidding... any decent human needs to go to a machine gun shoot... shutting it down is sacrilegious.  However, sometimes we must be protected from our better selves...


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 09:53

When from our better selves we have too long been parted by the hurrying world, and droop. Sick of its business, of its pleasures tired, how gracious, how benign is solitude.

William Wordsworth



-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 10:50
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Who needs a machine gun shoot anyway???

They closed my CHURCH... reopen unknown...






 


I do!
I need parts, ammo, knowledge, and fellowship.
I was kidding... any decent human needs to go to a machine gun shoot... shutting it down is sacrilegious.  However, sometimes we must be protected from our better selves...
















I know that now.
I was just having a moment in all the hysteria.


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 14:30
I bought 2# of hamburger!!   

-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 16:42
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

I bought 2# of hamburger!!   

Be sure and check for e coli....


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: tahqua
Date Posted: March/19/2020 at 16:56


-------------
Doug


Posted By: DPI
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 01:22
Don't Panic! The Brits have come up with an answer to the problem.



Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 07:01
It's all fun and games until someone goes a week without toilet paper.


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: DPI
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 07:10
Been there, bought the T-shirt.
Lived 20 years in the middle east, quite often toilet paper was not available.

Ever tried a middle eastern toilet. It's psychology scarring. You're never the same again.

I think my PTSD is kicking in again now.


Posted By: tahqua
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 10:18
Never been to the middle east but toilets in China are not good for the soul...............and always keep tissue in the pocket.

-------------
Doug


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 11:12
Image result for ralph richardson dr zhivago

I'm watching Doctor Zhivago.....Yuri just came home from the war and discovered 13 families living in their big mansion in Moscow.....the Bolsheviks....and Ralph Richardson is about " to ignite the last half of the last cigar in Moscow! "  


Sounds like today's news.....








-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 11:13
....no mention of any toilet paper.....

-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 11:26
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Sounds good Don except I’m allergic to feathers.


I don't  see why your worried Craig, just use the usual snow collected from under the hard top crust.  Better cooling and soothing than menthol wipes....


-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: DPI
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 11:46
I suppose the old adage of 'Don't eat Yellow snow' would need to be modified to include brown snow?


Posted By: 3_tens
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 12:17
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Never been to the middle east but toilets in China are not good for the soul...............and always keep tissue in the pocket.

It does not hurt to use it in the nose before entering the toilet.


-------------
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.


Posted By: tahqua
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 13:36
Just great, snot and arse raisins in my fruit of the looms! Diarrhea is supposed to be an early sign, too.



-------------
Doug


Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 14:27
ewww, lends a whole new meaning to squat n thrust

-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: DPI
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 14:29
Ahhhh! That brings back memories, Not good  ones or anything, but memorable.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 15:06
Have you ever started something and then, like Bugs Bunny in "Falling Hare" (with the Gremlin), thought, "WHAT WAS I THINKING???"

To paraphrase, "OT sometimes gives the same feeling as when a toddler gets loose with a hammer..."


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: tahqua
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 17:44
At least that one is in the offices. The ones out in the plant are nasty

-------------
Doug


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 19:24
Don't eat frozen brown turds in the snow.........   Big Grin

-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/20/2020 at 19:26
Image result for people laughing at show










-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/21/2020 at 09:17
I haven't found any paper products but there are some canned goods still around.....

-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: DPI
Date Posted: March/21/2020 at 10:09
You're a harder man than me, I couldn't wipe my arse on a tin can for any amount of money.

'Disclaimer, depending on amount that may not be necessarily true'


Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: March/21/2020 at 12:08
Ed’s a tough guy, others may say a bubble off centre.

-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/21/2020 at 14:39
Use a green leaf......NO nettles!  







-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: DPI
Date Posted: March/21/2020 at 15:01
Dock leaves have always been the leaf of choice in my past, when on exercise and the bog paper had run out.

However I am given to understand that nettles do bring a certain buzz to the nether regions when used. I believe its specialist area of interest.


Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: March/21/2020 at 15:22
I finally found bread and it was on sale Loco.
I checked on paper goods and the only thing in the entire aisle was 250 cnt napkins.  I'm sure glad I gave a 20 roll pk of Scott's TP in the garage.  I was looking for my sister, her butt requires 2 ply as a minimum....  I tell her she has plenty ofn old newspapers... Cool


-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/22/2020 at 08:35
Remember the H1N1 "flu"???  No one really made a big deal about it(but they KNEW it was a pandemic from the very early stages)...in the United States about 61 MILLION cases, 250,000 people hospitalized, approximately 12,500 deaths
There were no business/State closures, no one was hoarding face masks and toilet paper... this is a MADE UP crisis in an attempt to hurt the Republicans in the upcoming election.  Fear mongering and hate is all the democrats know.  
Current US coronavirus stats:  about 27,000 cases, 350 deaths... it is now known that the virus was sent out to the world by China not sharing information on it (in an attempt to cover up its impact) beginning in November 2019.  
Where were the democrats when H1N1 hit??? Oh, right that was in 2009-2010 when obama was president and "quid pro Joe" was VP...

People are CRAZY...


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Sparky
Date Posted: March/22/2020 at 12:33
^^^^^^THIS!!!!

And the number of deaths at approximately 12,500 is very likely very low since most deaths were not tested for H1N1 and so not counted as such.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/22/2020 at 20:21
Roger that...

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/22/2020 at 20:25
Oh, I forgot to include... the origin of H1N1 Swine Flu (notice, no country associated) traced to a "pig farm" in MEXICO... if my info is correct, obama stated that we did not want to attach stigma to Mexico...

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: March/22/2020 at 20:39
Also not to be forgotten is the H2N2 (Asian flu) pandemic in 1958-59 that killed over a million worldwide and 116,000 in the U.S.

-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/22/2020 at 20:41
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Also not to be forgotten is the H2N2 (Asian flu) pandemic in 1958-59 that killed over a million worldwide and 116,000 in the U.S.

I remember that.....and the Hong Kong flu!  And the Bird flu!


-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/22/2020 at 21:06
Tell us about the one in 1580... the one that swept through Europe and Africa... did YOU start that???

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/22/2020 at 22:15
Oh! The Monkey flu!   

-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 07:16
Wouldn't the "Rattlesnake Flu" been a more appropriate name?

-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 09:30
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Remember the H1N1 "flu"???  No one really made a big deal about it(but they KNEW it was a pandemic from the very early stages)...in the United States about 61 MILLION cases, 250,000 people hospitalized, approximately 12,500 deaths
There were no business/State closures, no one was hoarding face masks and toilet paper... this is a MADE UP crisis in an attempt to hurt the Republicans in the upcoming election.  Fear mongering and hate is all the democrats know.  
Current US coronavirus stats:  about 27,000 cases, 350 deaths... it is now known that the virus was sent out to the world by China not sharing information on it (in an attempt to cover up its impact) beginning in November 2019.  
Where were the democrats when H1N1 hit??? Oh, right that was in 2009-2010 when obama was president and "quid pro Joe" was VP...

People are CRAZY...

Ok, I'm totally onboard with despising the democrats, but this isn't a "made up crisis."

H1N1 Swine Flu had an R0 of 1.4, whereas current data says COVID-19 has an R0 of 2.0-2.5. C-19 is much more contagious. A high % of the population had developed immunity to H1N1 because it's similar to other viruses that had spread through the population in the past. C-19 has little or no pre-existing immunity. H1N1 had a mortality rate of .02%, and so far C-19 has a mortality rate of 2%, 100X greater. One can say that the H1N1 mortality rate was understated due to a certain % of misdiagnoses at the earlier stages, but the same can also be said for C-19. C-19 has a much longer incubation period -- up to 14 days, compared to 2 days for H1N1. A person who has contracted C-19 can transmit it to others well before they begin showing symptoms. Further, the stats for H1N1 represents a year's worth of data, while we're only 2 months into this in the US since the first case of C-19 was confirmed here. We're still a very long way from determining the ultimate impact of C-19. C-19 may well prove to have lower cases and deaths in absolute numbers when all is said and done since much more drastic measures are being taken to limit its spread, but we don't know what the future will hold and won't know for at least a year. Regardless, C-19 is a much greater threat than H1N1 just comparing the severity of both viruses to human health. If all circumstances were the same, C-19 would likely have a higher tally of cases and deaths associated with it over the same time periods being compared. The two viruses aren't comparable.

Are democrats politicizing C-19 in an attempt to hurt Trump's reelection chances? Absolutely! The disinformation they are spewing is reprehensible...but also very predictable. This is nothing new; they've always done this. A prominent democrat once said "never let a crisis go to waste," and they live by this mantra. Fear and hatred is all they have to offer at the moment because they know they have no recent records of success in anything to sell, and they know their leading candidates suck. The democrat party is vile. BUT, multiple other countries are taking the same extreme measures being taken here and the hype outside the US is at similar intensity as here, and they certainly aren't motivated by US election results.

Is the constant media coverage and fear-mongering over C-19 fanning the flames on the "supplies-hoarding" hysteria? Absolutely! Does the media overwhelmingly "carry the water" for the democrat party? Absolutely +P!

Are the mandated closures of businesses and institutions and the widespread canceling of major events overreactions? It remains to be seen. Will a LOT of people be severely hurt financially, with many losing their jobs over business closures and retirement $ be lost? Absolutely! It sucks, big time! The jury is still out on whether it's the right call or not, however. History will be the judge, but "hindsight is always 20/20."

Regardless, removing politics and hype, the threat and potential impact of the virus itself is NOT a "made up crisis." Though the threat of death from C-19 is extremely low for the average healthy person, you could unknowingly spread it to someone else with compromised health who wouldn't be able to beat it, well before you know you have it yourself. This doesn't mean everyone should be fearful, but it still needs to be taken seriously.


-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 11:34
There are, on average, 56,000 U.S. deaths PER YEAR just from the "flu", based upon results from the CDC... but that is not a crisis.  H1N1, swine flu, was not a crisis... it killed about 12500 people in the U.S.  Ebola had a probable death of 50%, yet we BROUGHT Ebola cases to the United States... there were no shutdowns of businesses, mass orders to "stay in your house" (check the locations... mostly democrat-run states and cities) where they are actually using the police forces to FORCE people to stay in their homes.

This is a new flu... no one has an immunity to it.  Yes, there are some "high risk" people who will probably die if they get it... what is different from the "ordinary" flu??? There are people who will probably die from it if they get it (about 56000 times a year in the U.S.)... yet it is not a crisis.  Because COVID-19 is "new" and there are no immunities in the population, it is somewhat more deadly to "at risk" populations the the "ordinary" flu... are the populations "at risk" to the "ordinary" flu less valuable, more expendable???... an average of 56,000 deaths a year, but THAT'S OK, because it is the "ordinary" flu.  

Look at the massive mobilization of government and the rights granted in the Constitution that have been obliterated by that mobilization... so far.  The current "class" of democrats want to make it permanent and MUCH more aggressive.  

Personal responsibility is much more important than most of the governmental actions taken so far.  I'm not going to tell people what they should do, there are enough people, more than enough, doing that right now.  And, giving people information on what they SHOULD do is OK, forcing them to is much different.  
Perhaps that is easy for me to say, I don't consider myself in the "high risk" population... and I am responsible for myself.  I've had the flu a few times, not as many as many of the people i have associated with, for sure. I hate it... but one of my primary "goals" is to NOT spread it to others... unlike a majority of the population who think it is "heroic" to go to work, gyms, restaurants, etc while (the new popular term) "shedding virus".  It's not heroic, it's ass-inine, selfish and uncaring.  Even as bad as my parents were, they taught me from a very young age... if you are sick and have a fever STAY AWAY from people until you have been fever-free for at least 24 hours, bath and wash hands frequently... I've known that all my life.  When I've had instances where I had to fly when ill, I've always worn a mask and I have carried antibacterial wipes with me since they came on the market (I think I have some in every jacket I own)... not because it was doing anything for me, but because it was courteous and prevented others from acquiring my afflictions.

There are many thousands of jobs being lost right now.  In my current hometown, we ordered food yesterday from a local restaurant... almost the only... picking it up, my wife got into a conversation with the owners... the day before, they had 5 customers, yesterday, we were number 3.  We tipped them 3 times the cost of our food...1) because they have absolutely GREAT food, 2) they were depressed and scared and needed to know that someone cares, 3) they needed the money much more than we did.  I know that did not save them, but I hope it helps.  By the way, they are naturalized citizens from Mexico, very proud to be Americans, very proud to be "here" and not "there".

The CV-19 is new...it's effects really are not, but they are fairly predictable... the current reactions are new, some built by political lunacy, some by an inflamed media looking for the next crisis.  It is a created crisis.  The things that must be done to prevent the spread and death are mostly common sense and personal responsibility.  Certainly, there are instances where it can be passed along by those selfish, uncaring imbeciles who are being "sick and heroic" in their own minds, or just totally selfish activities... "powering through" the illnesses.  Limiting incoming air travel/sea travel/car travel from infected areas is certainly a very good idea... and things that government should rightly do.  Asking people to stay away from each other for a period of time (I actually believe that to be effective it would be more like 21 days rather than 14 or 15 as currently recommended), but that doesn't mean having the police outside your door telling you you can't leave.  Once again, personal responsibility would take care of most of the issues with this and most other diseases... Business owners should follow the Mark Cuban paradigm where they possibly can.  MANY can...
This is not the be all/end all killer of humanity.  It is NOT the Captain Trips virus from "The Stand" that eliminated 99.4% of the world's population.  It is a virulent disease that is already showing signs of containment and, due to the President releasing the medical/scientific communities, presenting significant evidence of being vulnerable to existing remedies.  
I don't believe it is a crisis... certainly does not warrant giving Cuomo an hour of news time every day.
When "the flu" becomes a crisis, maybe I'll think this is.
But carry on.


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 12:34
Well our flight home from Miami on Wed was cancelled. Next available one out is Apr 9th from Fort Lauderdale. I’ll be enjoying your hospitality for a couple more weeks. Supposed to self quarantine for two weeks when we do get home - fun times!

Prudent precautions to avoid contracting and/or spreading this strain makes sense. The irrational responses this has resulted in are not. The US is not alone in what I believe are unnecessary over reactions. I believe that ubitquitous social media and ratings hungry networks have greatly fanned the flames and expect more of the same in the future.


-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 12:38
I never said that I thought all the business closures are the right thing to do. I Thought I very clearly expressed my skepticism, but again, it’s still too early to say for certain if it’s the right call. Peoples’ health is ultimately more important, and the closures may be very temporary; we don’t know yet.

Your common flu comparison is an equivocation because the common flu is much less of a threat for several reasons. We have vaccines for the flu that are pretty effective. Not so for C-19. The common flu has an R0 of 1.3; C-19 possibly as high as 2.5, which makes it nearly twice as contagious. The common flu has an average incubation period of 48 hours; C-19 is 5 days and up to 14 days. With no action taken, C-19 would be way more deadly than the flu. The common flu has a mortality rate of .1%; C-19 is 20X that. 

Not a valid comparison.


-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: DPI
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 13:06
A bit concerned myself as my wife is a doctor in the NHS, so she is high risk for catching this. If she gets sick, I am in Belgium, so that leaves my 18 year old daughter on the hook for care.


Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 13:16
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Ebola had a probable death of 50%, yet we BROUGHT Ebola cases to the United States... there were no shutdowns of businesses,

Ebola, though far deadlier than just about any other contagion, was much easier to identify and isolate because affected people were easy to diagnose; they weren’t walking around among the public, oblivious to being infected. It was also much less widespread around the world. We knew exactly where one was at risk of contracting Ebola. It is also transmitted by direct contact with an infected person’s bodily fluids, so is less contagious than C-19 despite being much more serious. Again, not an equivalent comparison.

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

...mass orders to "stay in your house" (check the locations... mostly democrat-run states and cities) where they are actually using the police forces to FORCE people to stay in their homes.

....that doesn't mean having the police outside your door telling you you can't leave.  

Where exactly has that happened (police forces keeping people contained inside their homes)?


-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: supertool73
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 13:24
I got a letter today (pdf Doc) signed by Steven Mnuchin that is basically a pass that allows me to be outside my house and going to work.  It lists the industries that are critical and when shown to government workers and police they are supposed to leave me a lone and let me go to my job.

That makes me wonder what is coming.  If they are sending out letters to act as a pass for certain industries to go to work, what is going to happen next. 


-------------
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 14:44
What indeed!!  That is why gun and ammo sales has "once again" sky rocketed!! Most major distributors are out of stock or allocated. AGAIN!!!!!
 
 
 


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 14:54
They are watching you right NOW 

-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: tahqua
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 16:52
Crazy indeed
https://www.foxnews.com/world/what-are-the-wet-markets-coronavirus - https://www.foxnews.com/world/what-are-the-wet-markets-coronavirus


-------------
Doug


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 17:45
Welp, we're sheltering in place in Waco starting midnight tonight.  

-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: tahqua
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 17:56
Same here

-------------
Doug


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: March/23/2020 at 21:31
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I never said that I thought all the business closures are the right thing to do. I Thought I very clearly expressed my skepticism, but again, it’s still too early to say for certain if it’s the right call. Peoples’ health is ultimately more important, and the closures may be very temporary; we don’t know yet.

Your common flu comparison is an equivocation because the common flu is much less of a threat for several reasons. We have vaccines for the flu that are pretty effective. Not so for C-19. The common flu has an R0 of 1.3; C-19 possibly as high as 2.5, which makes it nearly twice as contagious. The common flu has an average incubation period of 48 hours; C-19 is 5 days and up to 14 days. With no action taken, C-19 would be way more deadly than the flu. The common flu has a mortality rate of .1%; C-19 is 20X that. 

Not a valid comparison.

Here's a look back on the 2009 swine flu pandemic with eight key facts from the  https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/cdcresponse.htm#a_2009_H1N1_Vaccination - CDC :

1. The flu strain responsible for the outbreak — influenza A (H1N1)pdm09 — was first  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html - detected  in America in April 2009.

2. The strain represented a unique combination of influenza viruses never before seen in humans or animals.

3. The virus quickly spread globally, primarily affecting children and adults under 65 who lacked immunity to H1N1.

4. The WHO declared the swine flu outbreak a pandemic on June 11, 2009.

5. Between April 12, 2009, and April 10, 2010, the CDC estimates swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations and 12,469 deaths in the U.S.

6. On Oct. 5, 2009, the U.S. began administering a newly approved H1N1 vaccine to select Americans, with vaccination coverage expanding nationwide by that December.

7. WHO declared an end to the pandemic on Aug. 10, 2010.

8. Globally, an estimated 151,700 to 575,400 people died from swine flu in the first year of the pandemic.

For reference, the COVID-19 pandemic has  https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/up-to-150m-americans-predicted-to-get-covid-19-and-8-other-pandemic-updates.html - sickened  1,323 Americans and killed 38, as of March 12. More than 127,00 cases and 4,700 deaths have been reported globally.


some of the numbers vary within a few percentage points according to which site is providing information.

IF the obama administration had implemented the travel bans and other protection methodologies the Trump Administration put in place, it is highly likely the deaths would have been far less... however, they did not want to offend the "world".

The Trump Administration banned incoming traffic from Iran on 29 Feb... however, NY joined a suit to shut down the ban... a LIBERAL judge declared the ban unconstitutional.  THOUSANDS of COVID-19 infected people transitioned from Iran to New York.  There are about 44,000 cases in the US, 20,000 in NYC... who won? 

As for the "normal" flu... I'm just saying that it kills about 56,000 people a year... and that is not considered a crisis.  CONSERVATIVE estimates (so there is no question in my meaning... a conservative estimate means that it is likely MORE will recover, but the "benefit of the doubt" is being awarded to the CRISIS-mongers) are that 98% to 99% of those who contract COVID-19 will recover... it is highly likely that many more will recover, especially due to the President's actions.  IF we had allowed the virus to "run it's course", the "estimates" are that 1% (about 1.6 million people) MIGHT have died.  That is highly unlikely, but it is a number to consider. It is a "bad" number, but not a devastating number. 

BTW, your "2.5" number is unsubstantiated by any data, yesterday the number was 3.4.  It is a WAG (not even a SWAG... for those who don't know, a WAG is a WILD-A$$3D GUESS, the S is SCIENTIFIC)

I have friends who have family in Kalifornia... both San Francisco and Los Angeles... they reported to me that their family members, upon trying to leave the house to go get groceries were told to "STAY INSIDE... DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LEAVE.  WE ARE ENFORCING "SHELTER IN PLACE" ORDERS. IF YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY, WE WILL TRY TO ACCOMMODATE YOUR NEEDS".  That is the force of "law" telling people they cannot leave their homes.  They were FORCED, by LE, to stay in the house and told that "FORCE" would be used if they attempted to leave.  

As for ebola... it was only a mention that a disease that has a KNOWN and VERIFIED 50% mortality rate did not cause the democrats or the "mainstream media" any great concerns and that rather than restricting entry of ANY ebola afflicted people, the liberalistas demanded that they be brought to the US.  Sorry, but in MY book, that is a BAD IDEA.  Any disease with a 50% mortality rate should NOT be introduced onto our shores in any fashion.  We, the United States of America, have hospital ships that contain and treat such things... obama chose not to use those assets, but brought the afflicted into mainstream hospitals... and one never knows when a virus will MUTATE... they do it all the time... it can become much more virulent in a matter of days... the perfect killers.

I read a book years ago... back when I was a teenager... don't remember the name of the book, but I remember a statement that has been with me all my life... "sometimes... people die".  

There is a lot of BS involved with this "crisis".  To me, even if the 1% number became true, it is not a crisis, because people not taking care of themselves and others creates the issue... once the transmission medium is known, if people ignore it and continue to infect themselves and others when it can be prevented ...sad, but... I refer to the paragraph above...



-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: March/24/2020 at 06:54
Must be pretty tough on apartment dwellers or for anyone who can’t escape to an open space for a while. One of the main reasons I’m not too upset about making it home just yet. Weather here has been great and still lousy at home.

Agree Dan.

Read a clinical study by the Annals of Internal Medicine from March on Covid incubation. Still a lot more testing to be done but they found that:

Less than 2.5% of people will show symptoms within 2.2 days
97.5% will show symptoms in 11.5 days
The mean incubation period is 5.1 days, similar to SARS

If the infection period after exposure follows most strains (24 hrs before onset of symptoms to 3.5 - 5 days following) then it should not necessarily put more at risk, only that You don’t know you have been exposed for a longer period.

As always way more research is needed but at this point most of what I have read indicates that it is not a more virulent strain.



-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: tahqua
Date Posted: March/24/2020 at 07:45
Latest for confirmed cases, Italy is 9.5% fatal. The numbers of cases are still going up but it looks to be at a decreasing rate.
U.S. is still really low, around 1.3% fatal, but cases are increasing rapidly.


-------------
Doug


Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: March/24/2020 at 08:21
Hey Dan, we disagree; that’s fine. But at least try to use current data and reasonable comparisons to buttress your points.

Why do you continually use a year’s worth of cumulative data for the previous outbreaks to compare against 2 months worth of data for C-19? Why are you using the March 12 US data for C-19, when it’s now March 24? We’re currently at 46,168 cases and 582 deaths, not 1,323 and 38.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The R0 value isn’t a static number. It changes as measures taken start to take effect and as a disease runs its course. The numbers I gave for the other diseases represent their peak numbers. It is a very fluent metric at the beginning stages of an epidemic because as more case data is obtained, the math becomes a better representation of reality. It is not at all a “swag.” In the absence of immunity and medications to combat it, the models and current case data show that C-19 would be one of the top 5 deadliest outbreaks in history.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1804098/ - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1804098/

Your “police state” point is unadulterated hyperbole, plain and simple. Nobody, nowhere is being forced to stay in their homes by threat of police action. Most of the business, events, and institution closure decisions are being made by the entities themselves based on gov’t recommendations (I’m sure a lot based on liability mitigation).

Different viruses sometimes call for differing strategies to combat them based on calculated R0 models, availability of medications, existing levels of herd immunity, transmission modes, ease of identifying cases, incubation periods, etc. 
The point being, despite the fear-mongering and desire of the media to hurt Trump, it’s not a “made up crisis.” It could be an over-reaction, but at least the measures taken are based on epidemiological scientific models.


-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: March/24/2020 at 08:55
Here in Waco we can go ahead and be normal.....take walks, ride bikes, drive around, etc. etc.....but we are only supposed to be going inside of the Essential services like groceries, pharmacies, and stuff...

.....so I guess that means No Haircuts.....No gun stores.....No Hobby Lobby....no YMCA.....


-------------
Visit the Ed Show



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net