Print Page | Close Window

My first of the year...

Printed From: OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc.
Category: Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors
Forum Name: General Hunting
Forum Description: Techniques, tips, stories, general discussion, etc.
URL: http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=46023
Printed Date: June/03/2020 at 07:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: My first of the year...
Posted By: Kickboxer
Subject: My first of the year...
Date Posted: November/26/2019 at 19:34
This called for a small smackeral of Michter's Bourbon (good stuff).  I was hunting a bigger deer, but he showed up first... couldn't resist.
It was getting dark when I got him up to my house, couldn't find my lanterns, couldn't find my knives, couldn't find my hoist... and it's been about six years since I field dressed a deer.  Boy was it fun.  I looked like a ghoul when I got finished... took a LOOOONG shower.  




-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living



Replies:
Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: November/26/2019 at 19:37
Nice buck! Congratulations!

Give us some details of the hunt!


-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: November/26/2019 at 19:55
Ted, it was pretty mundane.  I sat in a stand for about 35 minutes.  He showed up... walked around (full circle around where I was sitting in a pop-up ground blind... HUGE rub on a pine tree about 10 feet from where I set up) then walked right in about 35 yards from me... seriously, I considered yelling before I shot just so he had a chance.  I "blooded" the Voere Shikar .300 WinMag (Meopta Meostar R1 3-12 set on 4x).
He flipped over on his back, legs kicked twice... tiny entry hole, 3 inch exit hole... destroyed heart and lungs.  
I apologized to him for being so unprepared to field dress... I seldom lose things, but when I do it is because my wife moved it (and she did, but I should have so my fault).   I actually was not expecting to see deer today because of all the shooting around my property.  I was blood covered from head to toe when I finally got finished.  Ashamed of myself.


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: November/27/2019 at 07:26
Nice deer Dan. You and Ted have had some great hunts this season, congrats to you both. One of the few things I am good at is field dressing deer, as chief dogger I often do this for the guys usually less then10 minutes if I don’t stab myself on bone splinters!

-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: November/27/2019 at 16:19
The processor I took it to called me today and said it is the "prettiest" deer he has had come in so far this year.  He also said "you really should have that one mounted".  Lori said "NO".

I measured shot distance today... I was off... it was 35.3 yards...


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Son of Ed
Date Posted: November/27/2019 at 17:04
I'm glad to know that 300 Winchester reached that far!   Big Grin






-------------
Visit the Ed Show


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: November/27/2019 at 19:27
It was touch and go...

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: November/27/2019 at 22:04
Did you have to hold full value wind on that shot Dan?

-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: November/28/2019 at 06:38


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: November/28/2019 at 08:54
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Did you have to hold full value wind on that shot Dan?

Did you mean as in not breaking wind Ted?


-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: Scrumbag
Date Posted: November/28/2019 at 09:07
Great stuff buddy! Still  not managed to get out, going stir crazy in London!


-------------
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: November/28/2019 at 14:47
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Did you have to hold full value wind on that shot Dan?

Probably the best wind call I've ever made without assistance... I must say, it was "a t'ing'a beauty".  I've mentioned a number of times how lucky I am... don't know that I'll ever be this lucky again.  I know you won't believe this, but I don't think wind had ANY impact on the shot at all...


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: November/28/2019 at 14:50
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Nice deer Dan. You and Ted have had some great hunts this season, congrats to you both. One of the few things I am good at is field dressing deer, as chief dogger I often do this for the guys usually less then10 minutes if I don’t stab myself on bone splinters!
Yeah, well... get your airplane warmed up, 'cause I'm going to need some help real soon...
(at one time I was pretty fair at field dressing... )



-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: November/28/2019 at 17:15
Man if I could square it with the queen bee I’d book my flight tonight!

-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: November/29/2019 at 13:40
Damn nice deer Dan, Say that 3 times real fast.

-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: coyote95
Date Posted: November/30/2019 at 11:05
Congratulation , Dan !    Nice buck   Thunbs Up

-------------
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: November/30/2019 at 17:44
Thank you.  Prettiest face of any deer I ever shot.  

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: bugsNbows
Date Posted: December/01/2019 at 14:52
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Damn nice deer Dan, Say that 3 times real fast.


THAT, THAT, THAT. Big Grin


-------------
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: December/01/2019 at 20:34


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: December/02/2019 at 07:21
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Damn nice deer Dan, Say that 3 times real fast.


THAT, THAT, THAT. Big Grin

Damn, he figured it out.


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: December/02/2019 at 08:19
I saw something yesterday so odd I passed on hunting and just observed for over an hour and well past shooting time.  I have a buck coming to my property that I've only seen very near dark all season (and in previous seasons)... however, until yesterday I thought he was a doe.  He came up earlier than he normally does and very close and I saw that he had "equipment" a doe does not possess.  However, there is no indication of antlers, no nubs (and he is at least 3 years old and weighs in the 110-120lb range), no sign he has ever had antlers.  I watched him with binoculars (Canon 8x IS) for nearly an hour... I hate to admit it, but I do SOMETIMES use binoculars...  I've never seen a buck of that age that just had NO SIGN of antlers... his head was as smooth and clean as the doe standing next to him.  
Weird to me...


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: December/02/2019 at 08:25
Maybe he's a transgendeer.


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: December/02/2019 at 08:29
Maybe...

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: December/02/2019 at 11:38
It's all it's mother's fault!  She wanted a doe...

-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: December/03/2019 at 17:08
Spent today setting up some new stand sites... got tired of the ELR stuff.  I can now easily get shots at 20-25 yards.  Really makes my ballistic calculations easy... I can ALMOST ignore wind.  

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Urimaginaryfrnd
Date Posted: December/03/2019 at 22:37
Iva had bucks come up and rub their antlers on the ladder stand i was sitting in.


-------------

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger


Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: December/04/2019 at 05:26
Be careful Dan, might need to compensate for coriolis effect at that range.

-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: December/04/2019 at 08:38
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Iva had bucks come up and rub their antlers on the ladder stand i was sitting in.

I've heard of that happening, seen a couple of videos of similar things... never had a deer do that.  I once, EARLY in the morning... before daylight, headed to a stand... encountered a herd of deer.  I ducked into a bush and the herd passed me by without knowing I was there until I reached out and touched one... it got exciting for a few seconds... no one stomped me.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: December/04/2019 at 08:39
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Be careful Dan, might need to compensate for coriolis effect at that range.
I think at that range it is only on the equator...


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: December/04/2019 at 09:39
You mean at knife range or you could have bludgeoned it to death...

-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: cbm
Date Posted: December/31/2019 at 08:13
Nice buck man!! I haven't heard much from any of my family and friends in AL. Nice to see a good one down!
 
 


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: December/31/2019 at 08:30
Originally posted by cbm cbm wrote:

Nice buck man!! I haven't heard much from any of my family and friends in AL. Nice to see a good one down!
 
 
Thank you.  There are a couple of nice ones that are fully nocturnal... it's like they knew exactly when gun season opened because I've only seen them at 2200 or later and disappear by around 0300 since.  I guess that is why they are so much bigger... smarter.  One is a 10 point, one an 8 point... much bigger than the one I got.  I guess at least they are spreading their genes into the pool.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: December/31/2019 at 08:44
I've held off on taking another deer this year... 3 does have babies that just went out of spots... two that look pregnant.  North Alabama breeding seasons still weird.  The only bucks I've seen in shooting hours are young... a couple of very young spikes, a 4-point, a 7-point.  Way young.  

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/19/2020 at 17:51
Front yard about 30 minutes ago...




-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: tahqua
Date Posted: January/19/2020 at 18:52
You have some nice deer in your area Dan!

-------------
Doug


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: January/20/2020 at 17:53
Looks to be young, 2 1/2 not more than 3 1/2. Great genetics!! If you can keep him alive for 2 or 3 more yrs you should have some nice trophies for several yrs to come. Have you found any sheds from him or similar deer? Next 20 days is prime for shed hunting. Find a stretch of dog wire about 6 or 8 ft long 4 ft high and staple it to some post or trees and put corn right at the bottom line. It works good for hanging up and pulling loose antlers.
Salute!
 


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/20/2020 at 21:04
That deer is at least 3 years old... I've been watching him grow.  I doubt he will make through this year.  The illegal hunters are out in force.  
If you don't get sheds in the first couple of days, squirrels, rats, nutria and woodchucks chew them up.  Antlers have only been "nicer" in the last couple of years, anyway, and, due to work and family, I have not hunted on my property since about 2009...until the buck I shot this year.  I've had to pass on several really nice ones due to a limitation I have right now.  I had to cancel my Africa trip for this year... trying to get it set up for next year.  Going to be devoting some time to hand loading.

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: January/21/2020 at 09:34
Did he just say that out loud?!?!?!?  Roll on Floor Laughing

-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/21/2020 at 16:12
He did... 

Some more bucks... the big one is "atypical", very odd rack.  Nice, though:



-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/22/2020 at 17:25
New buck showed up today, he is a 10 point...




-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Scrumbag
Date Posted: January/23/2020 at 00:20
Pretty deer, Kickboxer!


-------------
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: January/23/2020 at 07:30
Needs to do some culling!! And give them some mineral licks to help with diet deficiencies. That one may have 10 points by count but his genetic map is beyond repair.

-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: January/23/2020 at 07:45
The racks on the deer around me aren't very thick, even when the buck is large with a big for the area rack. I think it's because there is so much sandstone around here that the deer can't get to limestone to help build strong antlers.
The deer down in S/W Ky. have better racks where there the limestone is close to the surface of the soil.


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: January/23/2020 at 09:00
One of the things that hurt habitat health in NC is when AG started mandating no-till planting practices. No-till certainly has its benefits but when it is primarily the main planting practice the soil suffers. Deep cut rotation prevents fallowed ground and better distributes decomposition minerals. That practice provides better soil conditions and better crop or yield quality. The minerals are more abundant in the crop so all that consume reap the benefit. Us included.
 
Back in the early 90's I started my own habitat management and studied with universities in SC and GA because they were 20yrs ahead of NC standards or understanding. In a couple yrs I had developed my own diet supplements to help the deer population realize their best potential written in their genetics. I had about 1600 acres I was managing and saw over about a 3 yr period a population of 3,5 and 7 point bucks start growing symmetrical  4,6 and 8 points. And the doe were throwing double and triple fawns. It did have a down side though. The deer were hard to kill. Except for a head shot you were going to track a deer atleast 60 to 100 yds. The guys that I let hunt said I had "devil deer" cause they would't' die. I don't manage near as much land anymore. There is a lot of hours, leg work and money to keep up with large tracks. But I still like to manage what I can.
 
 


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/23/2020 at 11:23
I feed year round, throw out minerals constantly (which they don't seem to pay much attention to... most just melt into the ground).  "Deer management" is just a buzz-phrase if the "community" is not invested.  Mostly, around this area, hunting is year round and nothing is safe.  Even business professionals and LE are not above "poaching" if they just want to.  A couple of weeks ago, I chased two trucks out of my driveway... one of the drivers was about to shoot a doe... nobody cares.

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: January/23/2020 at 12:03
A nightmare I know. A lot of the hunters and landowners have the mentality "if I let him go he'll get shot across the line. Sad, and a lot of times true. But, those that I have been able to convenes to try have to admit that they do have more trophy class deer on their property. It does still happen though. Where those pics above were taken I had 3, 8 point coming every evening right up until the last week of season. I was hunting south of there a couple hundred yds and heard 3 shots that evening. Checked the camera a few days later and two of the 8's haven't returned. I hope they were "trophies to the kid that shot them but who knows. In two more yrs they would have been real trophies. Such is the hunting world. And in your case with no real help from law it can seem hopeless. I had that for yrs when I first started. But I gained respect and trust from local wildlife officers by working with them in Hunter safety education and other programs they were invested in. Then I discovered the indisputable power of a camera. When you have a pic of someone in front of a posted sign even his brother or dad who is a officer can't deny the evidence. And getting to know the sheriff is a big help too. Then when you have a issue atleast he knows who you are and won't blow you off as a nobody. It is a pain to have to go to such lengths and shouldn't be necessary. But it is worth it in the long run. Don't give up, you can control your property and possibly pick up some lease on some that borders yours.
 
Salute!


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: Urimaginaryfrnd
Date Posted: January/23/2020 at 17:12
Iowa they hunt your land for you also, I understand the frustration.  When I am butchering deer I use motorcycle tie down straps so I can secure the deer two directions and I use a tool  https://www.swfa.com/hme-deer-skinning-claw.html - https://www.swfa.com/hme-deer-skinning-claw.html

-------------

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/23/2020 at 17:19
Early today... the "rut" is getting close:



-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: mike650
Date Posted: January/23/2020 at 17:52
Big neck on buck in green grass area, upper right. Tic-tic-tic

-------------
Fish to Live, Live to Hunt


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: January/23/2020 at 22:52
Dan, if they are ignoring you mineral licks it usually one of two reasons. Either there is an established source somewhere near by or what you are using is bitter or bland. Either way you can make your source more appealing. My mix has no appeal to deer at all by its self. And it does have 40 to 50% salt. But with that it is still too bitter to get them started on it. Anytime you start a new lick it needs to be a granular type so you can add a cup per lb. of table salt. If the lick you buy is red it will be more pink with the salt added. In most cases a 1 or 2 lb. lick will last best part of a yr. Either dig a hole big enough to hold the amount you have level with the ground or a pine or oak stump and pour on and around it. Don't be concerned if it ends up a hole, that's normal. After your convinced they are using it regular the next mix should be 1/2 cup per lb. To keep them preferring your lick point you will probably need to keep adding 1/2 cup per lb. From what I've seen of your deer a good mineral mix will give you some really good results. The whole population will benefit. Its not just about better racks. Healthy doe drop healthy fawns and healthy fawns give you true insight into how good herd genetics are. You've got some good lookin deer but you also have several that are eating and breeding that need to go. Also mature doe decide who stays and who goes. The ideal buck doe ratio is 2 or 3 doe to 1 buck. That is near impossible to achieve with limited tags most of the time. Always take the oldest most mature doe. That disrupts the hierarchy and you will start seeing bucks you haven't seen before.
Until recently our district offered bonus doe tags for $5 each unlimited. We had actually achieved a 2 to 1 ratio for the past 4 yrs. Unfortunately they stopped offering last yr and we have had to watch our yrs of discipline and work start to slip away.
 
Stay with it and use your trail cams to get faces and plate #'s. When you give the law little option to look away they suddenly start to take you serious and the atmosphere in your area mysteriously seems to change. I got convictions on a couple bullies in the area yrs ago and next thing I know land owners in the area started callin to see if I would manage their land.
 
Salute!


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/24/2020 at 11:01
I have mineral "holes" in several areas on my property, blocks I break up and mix.  They just don't get much use, some use, not much... I've maintained them for years and they just wash away.  I've used every mineral mix from the Co-Op, Walmart, Ace, Tractor Supply, etc... pretty much the same results for all.  
Most of the bigger bucks in this area are nocturnal... there are some that I've never seen in daylight hours.  Last year, some started coming around at different times, more this year.  Yes, there are a number that need to be removed from the gene pool... I'm not in a position to make that happen right now... I've got one "spike", probably 5-6 years old that has been nocturnal since his first year... big buck, still a spike.  In that last picture, one of his "brothers" (maybe son) is visible close to the buck hiding in the trees.  I've got a few does that pretty much live on my land... they feel safe here... and they take good care of their babies... have produced some of the better bucks.  But nice bucks don't last very long around here.  Very few reach full maturity... and the "culls" get left behind.  We have different thoughts on does.  Mature does raise their babies better... 


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/24/2020 at 17:07


Put a new block out today... speak of the devil, the two ugliest bucks ever showed up...
bigger one, I believe this is his fifth season, might be four, but I believe five, smaller one second season... probably son of the older one






-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: January/24/2020 at 19:36
"Mature does raise their babies better... "
 
Absolutely!! It comes down to what your goals are.
 
Our season dates allow us to wait until the fawns are weaned and typically any fawns survive fine staying with the other doe. A few yrs ago when the yotes were thick the fawns were usually gone by end of September regardless of doe maturity. Now that the yotes are much thinner our fawn survival is excellent. We take special care for fawn survival. Back when we were running 10 members there was $50 donation collected for anyone who shot one. We're only running 5 members now and shooting a fawn/yearling rarely ever happens anymore. My understanding of buck, doe herd structure is from almost 30 yrs of time in the field. The SC universities I studied with back in the 90's had a pretty good understanding of herd structure and gave me a good foundation to build on. Mature doe are selective on which bucks the will stand for (depending of buck/doe ratio). They have learned that if a younger buck is hounding them they can go to the buck they prefer and the younger buck will be highly motivated to find somewhere else to be. That is also a problem for finding a trophy buck during the rut because she goes to him in his safe place. But if most of what he can find is younger doe that is when you get a chance of catching him in the daytime. She is inexperienced and will usually take him round and round until she finally stands for him. If the ratio is bad (4+ doe to 1 buck then you end up with way too many mature doe and more opportunity for young and cull bucks to breed.
 
Salute!


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/25/2020 at 09:52
I don't disagree with anything you said... no need to be defensive.  I've merely been telling you what it is like HERE.  
In the '20's and '30's, the deer herds in Alabama were virtually completely eliminated...  Alabama set upon a massive replenishment program, importing deer from all areas of the US to have a varied and hardy "breeder stock".  In process, Alabama, at least northern Alabama (and that is mainly where I am talking about), created a unique herd.  There is no legitimate rut in this area... it basically lasts from Sept/Oct to around March...concentrating in Jan-Mar (I've seen some spotted fawns in Mar/Apr and Nov/Dec.  Had two, still spotted, just before Christmas (they have now "browned out".  With a gestation around 200 days, that means mating in May/Jun.).  Our hunting season was just last year extended to 10 Feb in order to more accurately reflect the rut.  Now runs from mid-Oct to 10 Feb.  Big bucks are still hanging out in groups, though there is evidence of some fighting.  
There is only, very recently (last 4-5 years), what appears to be interest in "improving" the herds.  Hunting seasons have changed, new laws governing hunting more in line with states that have large hunting incomes have been passed and it appears to be having an impact.  Alabama is no longer a "two deer a day" state.  When I first moved here, the law was "two deer a day... one antlered, one un-antlered or two un-antlered.  Some areas where there are hunting clubs have had more success and have worked for much longer times on improving the deer populations.  Some of the older clubs produce some really nice deer.  I used to belong to one, but the land was sold to a paper company who clear cut it and destroyed much of the good hunting.  That, however, improved the populations in the wildlife management area nearby... but I've never hunted there.  There are some nice bucks taken there, occasionally... the wildlife areas appear to be moderately controlled.  The club had 11000 acres, managed by a family for many years... until sold to the paper company.  
I am only describing the deer in the county and adjacent counties, where I live and the areas I have/have had direct access to.  There are photos of some really big deer, but they are not large in number.  The "Alabama Blackbelt" is known far and wide for its production of high quality deer... I've never really hunted there.  Brandon went on a hunting trip with me to the "edge" of the Blackbelt... he got a baby pig.  But Alabama has a lot of different hunting areas...some have fared better than others.  
There is still a strong population of moonshiners, methheads and poachers around here that severely impact hunting.  But that's another, longer story.  



-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: January/25/2020 at 13:10
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I don't disagree with anything you said... no need to be defensive.  I've merely been telling you what it is like HERE.  
There is no legitimate rut in this area... it basically lasts from Sept/Oct to around March...concentrating in Jan-Mar (I've seen some spotted fawns in Mar/Apr and Nov/Dec.  Had two, still spotted, just before Christmas (they have now "browned out".  With a gestation around 200 days, that means mating in May/Jun.).  


You do indeed have a weird rut in Bama, later than most anywhere else. It lasts into February.

There is no WT deer breeding taking place in May & June however. At least, not in North America. The days are too long, and the rut is triggered by hormonal changes from photoperiodism, keying on the days being shorter in fall and winter. 
A fawn can retain its spots for up to 4, sometimes 5 months. The spotted fawns you saw were likely conceived in Jan/Feb.


-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/25/2020 at 14:24
I disagree... far too small, still nursing.  In December watched both fawns nursing their mother in my driveway. Not the first time and I don't expect it will be the last.  Does not happen every year, but a lot of the years since I've been here.  Generally spots last, even here, around two to max three months. 



-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: January/25/2020 at 15:46
A WT fawn will often nurse for up to 4 months.

-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: January/25/2020 at 15:52
I’ve seen nursing fawns with spots here in TX while bow hunting in October. It’s not the norm, but does occasionally occur. Our rut occurs in Nov, usually peaking in mid Nov. Rut in Bama occurs 2 months later, hence you seeing nursing fawns in Dec.

-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/25/2020 at 16:08
They do sometimes nurse up to 4 months... sometimes only 10 weeks.  Average right around 3 months, here.  Just talking to Lori about this she reminded me that a couple of years ago we saw a spotted fawn in March just after I got back from a test series.  The two fawns just went out of spots this month... right about the time my daughter came in to visit... so maybe March/April if you max everything. 
The deer around here don't much adhere to schedules.  It will be interesting to see if they are aware of the last day of season this year.  In the past, they've had a party at sundown on the last day...
Very undependable...


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/25/2020 at 17:02



-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: January/25/2020 at 20:17
No defensive, agreeing with you, manage depending on your goals.
A doe fawn can breed at 6 months if she has reached about 70lbs by that age. Further south where Dan is they may only need be 60lbs. And though WT deer breeding is triggered mainly by photoperiod it is not exclusive. Fawn health and weight can trigger a cycle. Once the "rut" is typically triggered by photoperiod a doe will cycle every 28 +/- days until she conceives. Here in NC the rut typically starts mid October. and I have seen rut activity repeat into late January. That causes a wide spread of fawn drops. In Dan's area with the population density and as long or longer period of repeat estrus cycles there is no doubt that he is seeing spotted fawns just about yr round. It also suggest that the buck doe ratio is way off. When you have 5+ doe per buck some doe are not getting bred until late season. And she is going to drop about 200 days after conception when ever that is.
 
Dan if you have hunters for the hungry or some other organization that process deer for feeding the homeless and poor you have a perfect means of getting the population that you have better in check. Over the past 10+ yrs we have donated 100's of deer to our local processor. We are helping feed people, making landowners happy and providing ourselves a healthy fairly well managed deer population.
 
Salute!
 
 


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/26/2020 at 11:44
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

No defensive, agreeing with you, manage depending on your goals.
A doe fawn can breed at 6 months if she has reached about 70lbs by that age. Further south where Dan is they may only need be 60lbs. And though WT deer breeding is triggered mainly by photoperiod it is not exclusive. Fawn health and weight can trigger a cycle. Once the "rut" is typically triggered by photoperiod a doe will cycle every 28 +/- days until she conceives. Here in NC the rut typically starts mid October. and I have seen rut activity repeat into late January. That causes a wide spread of fawn drops. In Dan's area with the population density and as long or longer period of repeat estrus cycles there is no doubt that he is seeing spotted fawns just about yr round. It also suggest that the buck doe ratio is way off. When you have 5+ doe per buck some doe are not getting bred until late season. And she is going to drop about 200 days after conception when ever that is.
 
Dan if you have hunters for the hungry or some other organization that process deer for feeding the homeless and poor you have a perfect means of getting the population that you have better in check. Over the past 10+ yrs we have donated 100's of deer to our local processor. We are helping feed people, making landowners happy and providing ourselves a healthy fairly well managed deer population.
 
Salute!

No "Hunters for the Hungry" in this area.  Years ago, I tried to get some interest and no one wanted to deal with it.  Fully agree with your approach, methods... very difficult to implement single-handedly.  
It is interesting to note that the wildlife management group has established three hunting zones...A, B, C.  I am in C... the ever-changing rules this year made it so that deer season started 15 Oct for bow hunting (either sex), 23 Nov (gun) - 1 Dec "either sex", then bucks only until 21-31Dec (either sex), then bucks only until 10 Feb.  Only 3 bucks are allowed for the entire season (gun) and 1 must have at least 4 points on one side.  I don't know who comes up with this idiocy, but it has been this way for the last 4 or 5 years.  Zone C is probably the most heavily overpopulated with does.  5 does to 1 buck is a very conservative estimate around here.  A couple of years, before my test schedule got outrageously busy, i hunted only does which was kind of like shooting squirrels.  That was tough for me... I grew up in Texas in a time and place where shooting a doe was a mortal sin... if you got a doe tag and used it, you were a pariah.  I still have initial reservations, but have overcome the idea that it will send me straight to hell.  
 
 


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: January/26/2020 at 14:33
"That was tough for me... I grew up in Texas in a time and place where shooting a doe was a mortal sin..."
 
My dad's generation was that way and have had to wrestle with a good portion of my own generation to get them to see the facts.
 
"I don't know who comes up with this idiocy, but it has been this way for the last 4 or 5 years."
 
We have the same stubborn know it all biologist here. This is offensive but true. They hire biologist from up north and let them run things like the north. It simply doesn't fly!! We recently had a public forum with our wildlife biologist and though they were respectful and open to discussion. When all was said and done they assured us that nothing was going to change any time soon. And they admittedly relied on scued and faulty statistics.
Bottom line it is just as politically operated as every other gov agency. They implement cookie cutter tactics and what doesn't fit is ignored.
 
" very difficult to implement single-handedly."
 
Yes it is but, Don't let that discourage you from starting. I put off getting started for two yrs for the same reason. And when I did start it seemed like a waste of time. But when the first three yrs had passed and I saw the result it was clearly worth it. And the more I could show people in the area photo results the more people wanted to get on board. At some point the state may get it's act together, or it may never. But you can make some change in your area. Find a few guys you know you can trust to take only what you say they can and let them use their tags to help you adjust your population. They get to hunt and you get faster results.
 
Salute!


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 08:35
Alabama, thank goodness, does not have "tags", per se.  Recently the state has implemented "game check" which requires you to notify within 48 hours what you took...  It is just a bureaucratic impediment.  Kind of like when an illegal alien asked Obama what would happen if he tried to vote.  Obama said "if you want to vote, vote... nobody's watching."

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 09:29
Soon as they figure out that there is $ to be made you can kiss that system good bye!!
Our WL commission is all about revenue. Constantly thinkin up ways to stick it to hunters for more. They cut our antlered deer harvest to only 2 a season. Chatter is they are looking at offering two extra for $. In the bear season they asked for a molar so they could monitor age and health. It was voluntary but now they want to make it mandatory and fine anyone who doesn't. They no longer "serve" the public. they have made themselves "lords" over the public. They aren't interested in quality management. They are interested in funding their retirement. Politics and greed. Sickening..................
 
Salute!


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 10:21
I HATE Demigods!!!!!

Sounds just like your typical Public School System Administrators and their GOD pro-tem the School Board Superintendent.


-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 10:22
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Soon as they figure out that there is $ to be made you can kiss that system good bye!!
Our WL commission is all about revenue. Constantly thinkin up ways to stick it to hunters for more. They cut our antlered deer harvest to only 2 a season. Chatter is they are looking at offering two extra for $. In the bear season they asked for a molar so they could monitor age and health. It was voluntary but now they want to make it mandatory and fine anyone who doesn't. They no longer "serve" the public. they have made themselves "lords" over the public. They aren't interested in quality management. They are interested in funding their retirement. Politics and greed. Sickening..................
 
Salute!
Exactly... and it is getting worse.  We need to take our lands back.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 10:22
Don't be foolish enough to think your allowed to question their actions or edicts....  Hammer Hit

-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 10:23
Definitely time for a "Changing of The Guards"

-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 10:39
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 11:37
They've appointed themselves to do that!!
 
 


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 15:18
Unfortunately it’s damn near impossible to implement a quality deer management program on small acreage, free-range properties when you’re surrounded by multiple other small acreage properties that are also hunted. The effort you expend is for naught if “your” deer just wander onto the neighbor’s property and said neighbor takes the “if it’s brown, it’s down” approach and doesn’t manage the habitat. 

The only way you can really do it is if you can get a large block of contiguous landowners to form a co-op where all share the same goals and agree to the same harvest standards and habitat enhancement.


-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 15:48
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Unfortunately it’s damn near impossible to implement a quality deer management program on small acreage, free-range properties when you’re surrounded by multiple other small acreage properties that are also hunted. The effort you expend is for naught if “your” deer just wander onto the neighbor’s property and said neighbor takes the “if it’s brown, it’s down” approach and doesn’t manage the habitat. 

The only way you can really do it is if you can get a large block of contiguous landowners to form a co-op where all share the same goals and agree to the same harvest standards and habitat enhancement.
Right on... EXACTLY what I am up against...


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Scrumbag
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 16:05
Same issues here. Small patches of land and disjointed / non-existent management plans

-------------
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 17:21
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Unfortunately it’s damn near impossible to implement a quality deer management program on small acreage, free-range properties when you’re surrounded by multiple other small acreage properties that are also hunted. The effort you expend is for naught if “your” deer just wander onto the neighbor’s property and said neighbor takes the “if it’s brown, it’s down” approach and doesn’t manage the habitat. 

The only way you can really do it is if you can get a large block of contiguous landowners to form a co-op where all share the same goals and agree to the same harvest standards and habitat enhancement.
Just one point here... I don't consider any deer "mine", unless and while they are on my property.  When they leave, anyone can take a shot.  I don't mind feeding them so that they are well nourished and prime when they go somewhere else.  I just hate that people have so little respect for the wildlife and others that they will shoot anything, anywhere, any time with no consideration for what they are doing to the "herds" overall.  Kind of like the "heroic" buffalo hunters... in the 1500's there were about 30 million buffalo in the US, in the late 1800's, around 1880-1890, there were only about 100 left.  In the early 1900's, deer were virtually completely eliminated from Alabama and if left to their own devices there are those who really would not care if it occurred again... they'd just find something else to kill off.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: January/28/2020 at 19:37
Oh sure...agreed. By “your,” I just meant bucks of interest that you’ve been watching, that you deem have genetic potential, and that you hope will live long enough to give you a shot opportunity when they reach their potential.

-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: January/29/2020 at 09:27
It is frustrating for sure. But the fact that you have those deer show that they prefer (to some extent) your property. You can make a given location more appealing to a deer population. If you can provide a sanctuary area (10 to 40 acres that no one bothers) a constant clean water source and a food source that they can't resist. Then selective harvest without too much human presents. The population density in your area looks to be your bigger challenge right now. Try to get the doe population down to 3 to 1 if possible. then your buck and doe quality management will be more effective.
 
Salute!


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: January/29/2020 at 10:20
I have a cousin that makes trail cameras and has 300 plus acres. He manages his land, has food plots, etc. for the deer, cameras everywhere, and lets no one hunt there except himself and business interest.
He had a huge buck he had been watching for a couple of years. The year he decided to hunt it, it wandered onto a neighbors 7 acre property and a 12 year old kid killed it.
Nothing he could do but be heart broke.

Had another cousin in the same area that was killing deer like groundhogs, in the summer time because they were tearing his bean fields up.


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/29/2020 at 18:49
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

It is frustrating for sure. But the fact that you have those deer show that they prefer (to some extent) your property. You can make a given location more appealing to a deer population. If you can provide a sanctuary area (10 to 40 acres that no one bothers) a constant clean water source and a food source that they can't resist. Then selective harvest without too much human presents. The population density in your area looks to be your bigger challenge right now. Try to get the doe population down to 3 to 1 if possible. then your buck and doe quality management will be more effective.
 
Salute!

I intended to take several does this year, the rules got changed and I was unable to follow through.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: January/29/2020 at 18:51
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I have a cousin that makes trail cameras and has 300 plus acres. He manages his land, has food plots, etc. for the deer, cameras everywhere, and lets no one hunt there except himself and business interest.
He had a huge buck he had been watching for a couple of years. The year he decided to hunt it, it wandered onto a neighbors 7 acre property and a 12 year old kid killed it.
Nothing he could do but be heart broke.

Had another cousin in the same area that was killing deer like groundhogs, in the summer time because they were tearing his bean fields up.
yep, those things happen... all the time.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: February/01/2020 at 16:05
Definitely poor mineral conditions around this area... I have 4 bucks coming in, 2 pretty big ones, with broken antlers.  The rut is definitely kicking in, lots of scrape marks on their hides, and the broken antlers means there has been some "contesting" for females.  I don't think I can afford to "mineralize" all the deer in this county.  

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: RifleDude
Date Posted: February/02/2020 at 19:17
Broken antlers isn't necessarily a sign of poor mineral content in your soil and forage. Bucks can get pretty violent with their fighting, and it's pretty common to see a lot of broken antlered bucks during late season, pretty much everywhere WT deer are found.

-------------
Ted


Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: February/04/2020 at 08:28
However, the antlers, of even the bigger bucks, are thin.  The really big buck that seems to have fared well in the fighting, has no breaks.  One big buck, with a thin, weak looking set of antlers, has most of one side broken off.  He is at least as old as the other big buck, antlers are about 1/2 the thickness... genetics, nutrition... just not producing much mass.  
Fully aware that bucks fight and fight hard and that antlers break, but these guys just don't really have much of a rack.  One out of about 6 bucks that seems to have a "normal" set of antlers.  Some of the younger bucks coming up seem to be faring better.  If they make it through the next 6 days, will see how they do next year.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: February/05/2020 at 18:32
Sitting in a stand last night, 3 minutes before shooting time ended... the "king of the forest" walked out and stood right in front of me.  He was so beautiful, I could not bring myself to shoot.  I was amazed...10 pointer, perfect shaped rack, sleek, looked like a sculpture... powerful and majestic.  May he make many babies.

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: February/06/2020 at 10:54
And some bubba will shoot him a week after the season ends.


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: February/06/2020 at 11:47
It is a good feeling to let a trophy walk. I do it often but, the best of the best I usually won't. Partly for the reason BF said. I have a deer mounted out of love and respect of the animal. A true top end trophy I will take. As I appreciate the life and cunning of the animal that makes it to that level. And in respect of the amount of time and effort I invest in finding true trophies. If I can't succeed on occasion I think I would loose interest. I have 10+ mounts covering the 40+ yrs I have hunted. I could have 3X's that if had wanted to. Part of my joy of hunting these last 10 yrs has been watching bucks mature into true trophies. That does come with risk of poachers stealing some before they make 3yrs. But enough make it to be worth the discipline.
 
Salute!


-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: February/07/2020 at 07:21
Someone has discovered the gift of patience.....  Good for you Sgt!  It's a hard lesson to learn but the effort is well worth it!!!  

I'm growing my patience in my garden currently.  It is excruciating and painfully slow trying to develop cross bred plants....  No wonder Millennials are so enthralled with instant gratification... 


-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: February/07/2020 at 07:38
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

And some bubba will shoot him a week after the season ends.

There is always that.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: February/07/2020 at 07:43
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

It is a good feeling to let a trophy walk. I do it often but, the best of the best I usually won't. Partly for the reason BF said. I have a deer mounted out of love and respect of the animal. A true top end trophy I will take. As I appreciate the life and cunning of the animal that makes it to that level. And in respect of the amount of time and effort I invest in finding true trophies. If I can't succeed on occasion I think I would loose interest. I have 10+ mounts covering the 40+ yrs I have hunted. I could have 3X's that if had wanted to. Part of my joy of hunting these last 10 yrs has been watching bucks mature into true trophies. That does come with risk of poachers stealing some before they make 3yrs. But enough make it to be worth the discipline.
 
Salute!
It is good to have a number of trophy deer to choose from.  Not so much around here. 
Last night, I saw one of the largest deer I've seen in this area... he is a spike, 4 or 5 years old... Looks like a cow.  No branch tines at all.  He's been around before, never this close.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: BeltFed
Date Posted: February/07/2020 at 07:51
I let a big 12 pointer go once because I was afraid he would wind up in an extremely difficult place to recover him from if he didn't drop in his tracks.
My neighbor killed him 2 days later. In season of course.


-------------
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: February/07/2020 at 08:30
A friend of mine and I were both hunting the same deer back in Texas, years ago.  He mailed me a picture and said "thought you needed a trophy".  I just said.."thank you".  

-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: budperm
Date Posted: February/07/2020 at 08:40
Now there is restraint!!!!  Weren't tempted to file an erroneous report with the local GW?!?! Wink

-------------
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson





Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: February/07/2020 at 18:51
Wasn't my land, Bud.  Hunting club... no game wardens ever came in there.  Had a "pasture rider" who was a former Texas Ranger... went to work there after being asked to leave the largest hunting club in East Texas, after being acquitted for shooting the flashlight out of a poachers hand, poacher didn't make it... 20 yards, 12 gauge 00-Buck... rider said he was just trying to shoot the light out... jury bought it.  You know you're in Texas when...
Overall, I prefer Texas, but their property taxes are 4.36 times Alabama property taxes.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: February/08/2020 at 14:09
This guy came up in my yard today... didn't even get a chance to go to the stand.  He is in a place that I promised my wife, girls, and the deer that I would never shoot them.  As long as he is here, he is safe.



-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Dogger
Date Posted: February/08/2020 at 15:13
Jeez Dan you have some nice looking deer, and so close to home too. I am envious.

-------------
God save the Empire!


Posted By: Sgt. D
Date Posted: February/08/2020 at 15:28
Is his left front injured?? Looks to be turned in or twisted. And seems to have most of his weight on the right.

-------------
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: February/09/2020 at 16:46
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Jeez Dan you have some nice looking deer, and so close to home too. I am envious.
You are invited.  Season ends tomorrow, but should have some nice ones next year.  


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: February/09/2020 at 16:51
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Is his left front injured?? Looks to be turned in or twisted. And seems to have most of his weight on the right.

He was wounded right before gun season started.  He went completely nocturnal until I got that last photo of him.  He was out there at about midnight last night.  He healed up pretty nicely...still has a bit of a limp when just walking, but can move like lightening. 


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living


Posted By: JGRaider
Date Posted: February/09/2020 at 19:01
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

However, the antlers, of even the bigger bucks, are thin.  The really big buck that seems to have fared well in the fighting, has no breaks.  One big buck, with a thin, weak looking set of antlers, has most of one side broken off.  He is at least as old as the other big buck, antlers are about 1/2 the thickness... genetics, nutrition... just not producing much mass.  
Fully aware that bucks fight and fight hard and that antlers break, but these guys just don't really have much of a rack.  One out of about 6 bucks that seems to have a "normal" set of antlers.  Some of the younger bucks coming up seem to be faring better.  If they make it through the next 6 days, will see how they do next year.  


Could be a genetic trait, or the result of what they are eating, age, or a combo of such.    Not sure where you're hunting, but I've never seen a free range whitetail in the  TX Hill Country that was very massive.   By contrast, the whitetails in the TX Panhandle where I've been hunting for over 20 yrs have good mass given they are mature bucks, usually 34" worth or so, often times more, and long tined.    There is no substitute for age and groceries.   I also have seen from experience that where there are lots of deer, they are generally smaller than areas where they aren't so plentiful.    Same goes for mule deer.   We have killed mule deer bucks that are 7.5 yrs old + that have had 48+" of mass.  Same thing.....it has got to be a combo of genetics, groceries, and age. 


Posted By: Kickboxer
Date Posted: February/09/2020 at 22:54
I hunted East Texas growing up.  Deer there were generally bigger than around here.  A buddy of mine, in East Texas, killed a 168 Boone and Crockett a few years ago and it was considered top of the medium range for the club he was hunting.  I've only hunted Axis in the Hill Country though I understand it produces the highest volume of white tailed deer taken in the state, never in the Pan Handle.  Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of East Texas deer that are around the same size as the medium sized deer here, but the racks are generally thicker, more substantial... at least where I've hunted.  I've got a few really nice bucks coming in, but they are mostly young.  
In this area, they've reduced the doe numbers for the last few years... which I think is a huge detriment.  There are WAY too many does in this area.  
"Deer management" is a joke in this area.  When you have a "local breakfast cafe" where most of the diners are openly talking about how many deer they shoot at night or out of season, you know no one is paying attention.  
I had one of the local processors recently tell me "I'm not a game warden and I'm not callin' any". 
All that said, the deer population does seem to be improving...SLOWLY.  

It has always been interesting to me and my wife that the cattle in Texas really are bigger than the cattle here.  Probably better grazing.


-------------
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net