Print Page | Close Window

What is an extra 10mm worth anyway?

Printed From: OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc.
Category: Scopes
Forum Name: Rifle Scopes
Forum Description: Centerfire long gun scopes
URL: http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=28388
Printed Date: November/21/2017 at 07:37


Topic: What is an extra 10mm worth anyway?
Posted By: REP
Subject: What is an extra 10mm worth anyway?
Date Posted: March/26/2011 at 18:59


-------------
Enough is to much.



Replies:
Posted By: tejas
Date Posted: March/26/2011 at 21:01
    I haven't looked through one of these so I can't help with your question. I will offer You this advice though, as an avid hog hunter myself. Look hard at the Trijicon Accupoints if you intend to do a lot of night hunting. If the folks at Trijicon told me they built the Accupoints specifically for hog hunters I'd believe them.


Posted By: REP
Date Posted: March/26/2011 at 22:20
Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

    I haven't looked through one of these so I can't help with your question. I will offer You this advice though, as an avid hog hunter myself. Look hard at the Trijicon Accupoints if you intend to do a lot of night hunting. If the folks at Trijicon told me they built the Accupoints specifically for hog hunters I'd believe them.


Thanks for the reply I have looked at the Trijicons and do think they have a lot to offer. But the thing is I have also looked at the VX-R's side by side in the field and I could not really tell one from the other as to clarity except the Trijicon was a good bit heaver than the Leupold.

Would this make the Trijicon more durable ? I don't know. But what I do know the Leupold is considerably less expensive and even more so with Trijicons recent price increase. If your going with one of the VX-R's lower power offerings they are near half the price of the like models from Trijicon.

Not knocking them though I really like the ones that I have its just that Leupold has something here that we all have been asking for from them for some time.

They now are offering a scope that approaches or rivals other manufactures offering that is competitive or better; price vs. quality and feature to price wise.


-------------
Enough is to much.


Posted By: ccoker
Date Posted: March/27/2011 at 16:37
The VXRs are getting good press for a good reason

I have Trijicon scopes and like them a lot too..
The 50 will get you a tad brighter image at the highest magnifications

Judging from my experience with the 2-7 firedot vs an Accupoint 3-9, I would say the 40mm objective will be fine with the Firedot if you must have the CDS

If it's only 50-60 bucks for the CDS and you really want that feature and knowing that you have a slightly brighter scope at the highest power settings, then go ahead

Personally, I don't think the CDS is needed for most hog hunting if you run a +1.5-2" at 100 yard zero because with most calibers you can shoot point blank out to 250 yards or so





-------------
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com



Posted By: Urimaginaryfrnd
Date Posted: March/27/2011 at 17:08
Time to re-think this - If you want a scope that Leupold makes in a special configuration that is not shown on SWFA website it will still probably be available but it would be a special order. You could call SWFA and ask them about placing a special order for the scope you want with the CDS dial.  If they are not able to help you then you may have to deal direct with Leupold Custom Shop. I would suggest that you select not only to have the CDS but ask about adding a balistic reticle calibrated to your rifle cartridge Leupold can make a custom reticle that matches your balistics if given the info also the CDS dial can be engraved to match your balistics.  That way you have a choice if its day you can max out the power and use the balistic reticle and when its night and you have to work at lower powers to brighten the image you can dial in correction but I doubt you will do much dialing in at night as your shots should be under 200 yds and likely would have a 100 or 200 yd zero and there is not much difference you are still in the kill zone with either.  For hunting at night I would definately want the 50 mm objective possibly a 56mm objective.  It doesnt make any sense to me to buy one and retrofit it because you can have them build it to specs to begin with.   One question I would certainly want to know before buying the CDS is if it is 1/4 moa clicks or 1/2moa clicks.

-------------

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger


Posted By: stickbow46
Date Posted: March/27/2011 at 19:00
+1 on the 50mm because you will be hunting at night.

-------------
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken


Posted By: REP
Date Posted: March/27/2011 at 20:18
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

The VXRs are getting good press for a good reason

I have Trijicon scopes and like them a lot too..
The 50 will get you a tad brighter image at the highest magnifications

Judging from my experience with the 2-7 firedot vs an Accupoint 3-9, I would say the 40mm objective will be fine with the Firedot if you must have the CDS

If it's only 50-60 bucks for the CDS and you really want that feature and knowing that you have a slightly brighter scope at the highest power settings, then go ahead

Personally, I don't think the CDS is needed for most hog hunting if you run a +1.5-2" at 100 yard zero because with most calibers you can shoot point blank out to 250 yards or so

Good points, The CDS is not a deal breaker its just that I would love to have the ability to dial in my shots when I am playing on Iron in my back yard. Being red necks we sit on top of my house with our bi-pods the roof pitch it perfect for a rock solid lean in.

You see I am slowly giving most all my guns to my oldest son and with the exception of maybe two rifles and a couple of shot guns he will soon have them all. Hoping this will make you understand the need for a do all.

Anyway thanks for getting to me with your much valued reply.
I may just have the CDS dials added to the 50 as you have made me realize with my word to you that if I'm only going to have one or two they should be without reasonable compromise.





-------------
Enough is to much.


Posted By: REP
Date Posted: March/27/2011 at 20:24
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Time to re-think this - If you want a scope that Leupold makes in a special configuration that is not shown on SWFA website it will still probably be available but it would be a special order. You could call SWFA and ask them about placing a special order for the scope you want with the CDS dial.  If they are not able to help you then you may have to deal direct with Leupold Custom Shop. I would suggest that you select not only to have the CDS but ask about adding a balistic reticle calibrated to your rifle cartridge Leupold can make a custom reticle that matches your balistics if given the info also the CDS dial can be engraved to match your balistics.  That way you have a choice if its day you can max out the power and use the balistic reticle and when its night and you have to work at lower powers to brighten the image you can dial in correction but I doubt you will do much dialing in at night as your shots should be under 200 yds and likely would have a 100 or 200 yd zero and there is not much difference you are still in the kill zone with either.  For hunting at night I would definately want the 50 mm objective possibly a 56mm objective.  It doesnt make any sense to me to buy one and retrofit it because you can have them build it to specs to begin with.   One question I would certainly want to know before buying the CDS is if it is 1/4 moa clicks or 1/2moa clicks.


I like the way you think; the ballistic reticle idea would go a long way with a 308 win with the limitations of the CDS dials. They are 1/4 MOA by the way.


-------------
Enough is to much.


Posted By: ccoker
Date Posted: March/27/2011 at 20:24
sounds reasonable to me
life's short, if you can have exactly what you want without it killing you financially, might as well


-------------
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com



Posted By: REP
Date Posted: March/27/2011 at 20:56
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Time to re-think this - If you want a scope that Leupold makes in a special configuration that is not shown on SWFA website it will still probably be available but it would be a special order. You could call SWFA and ask them about placing a special order for the scope you want with the CDS dial.  If they are not able to help you then you may have to deal direct with Leupold Custom Shop. I would suggest that you select not only to have the CDS but ask about adding a balistic reticle calibrated to your rifle cartridge Leupold can make a custom reticle that matches your balistics if given the info also the CDS dial can be engraved to match your balistics.  That way you have a choice if its day you can max out the power and use the balistic reticle and when its night and you have to work at lower powers to brighten the image you can dial in correction but I doubt you will do much dialing in at night as your shots should be under 200 yds and likely would have a 100 or 200 yd zero and there is not much difference you are still in the kill zone with either.  For hunting at night I would definitely want the 50 mm objective possibly a 56mm objective.  It doesn't make any sense to me to buy one and retrofit it because you can have them build it to specs to begin with.   One question I would certainly want to know before buying the CDS is if it is 1/4 moa clicks or 1/2moa clicks.


I should add that I will call the guys at the shop and see if they can handle the CDS Dial add on to the scope when I am ready to order. They are only 1.5 hours from my place here in Texas. This may be a good excuse to pay them a visit.
Thanks again friend.


-------------
Enough is to much.



Print Page | Close Window