New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New HICT 7-minute workout app for Windows Phone
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

New HICT 7-minute workout app for Windows Phone

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 12:43
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: November/13/2008
Location: Montana
Status: Online
Points: 4617
Windows Phone users, you know who you are...the few and (mostly) proud, eh?

I got inspired by an article in the New York Times magazine (faithfully read by almost all y'all) on a 7-minute(ish) HICT workout and built an app to make it easy to run through the exercises and memorize the sequence. While I'd rather be out adrenalizing on my mountain bike, I've been enjoying going through the routine 3X a day. It's a much better break than hitting the coffee pot and can be done almost anywhere. All you need is a chair and a section of blank wall big enough to fit your big butt against.

Check out the sped-up demo video:



And head on over to the Windows Phone Apps+Games Store where you can download a trial version for free.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 13:47
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
show me your sheep!!

Joined: January/01/2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline
Points: 27633
I took a nap after pushing the play button.... Sleep
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 14:51
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 12712
I would say it's a good workout if your traveling or even camping where you might not have a gym, be able to run, etc. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 14:54
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 12712
How is Windows 8 by the way? I've heard mixed reviews where they're comparing it to the release of Vista? I've played with it a few times but can't say either way, it seems to have the look and feel of a tablet.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 15:53
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: November/13/2008
Location: Montana
Status: Online
Points: 4617
While it's not much like Vista, there are similarities in the way it made too abrupt a transition from the previous version of Windows.  Version 8.1 will make some much-needed UI/UX (user experience) improvements. In fact, I just watched a video demo of the "new" Start button and some other changes they made to make the transition between the Metro and desktop UIs. It seems to fix those.

From a technical standpoint (and to some degree, from the user perspective) there is much to like. A newer machine with UEFI instead of BIOs, especially one with an SSD boot drive is ready to go in under 8 seconds. Security is much better. Performance overall is quite good. While 8.1 may not get people to upgrade like Windows 7 did post-Vista, it won't be but a year or two before they'll have it right.

Of course Microsoft still needs to figure out how to address the tablet and phone markets. I have an ARM-based Surface RT and you have to really be Windows-focused to prefer it to an iPad. Since I have little use for either other than for testing, I don't really care about its shortcomings. I sold an iPad 3 right before getting the Surface at Microsoft's 2012 BUILD conference so I've certainly used one. The thing is far more developers have embraced iOS and provided at least some quality apps and some highly innovative. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 16:31
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 12712
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

While it's not much like Vista, there are similarities in the way it made too abrupt a transition from the previous version of Windows.  Version 8.1 will make some much-needed UI/UX (user experience) improvements. In fact, I just watched a video demo of the "new" Start button and some other changes they made to make the transition between the Metro and desktop UIs. It seems to fix those.

From a technical standpoint (and to some degree, from the user perspective) there is much to like. A newer machine with UEFI instead of BIOs, especially one with an SSD boot drive is ready to go in under 8 seconds. Security is much better. Performance overall is quite good. While 8.1 may not get people to upgrade like Windows 7 did post-Vista, it won't be but a year or two before they'll have it right.

Of course Microsoft still needs to figure out how to address the tablet and phone markets. I have an ARM-based Surface RT and you have to really be Windows-focused to prefer it to an iPad. Since I have little use for either other than for testing, I don't really care about its shortcomings. I sold an iPad 3 right before getting the Surface at Microsoft's 2012 BUILD conference so I've certainly used one. The thing is far more developers have embraced iOS and provided at least some quality apps and some highly innovative. 


That's what I meant when I said like Vista, MS pushed a half baked OS out the door. Thunbs Up I've read people are already anticipating the next OS and bypassing 8 all together but if 8.1 is an improvement it'll may make those like my mom happier. Big Smile
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 16:54
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master
Avatar

Joined: July/04/2012
Location: Oswego,NY
Status: Offline
Points: 9051
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I took a nap after pushing the play button.... Sleep


Bud, I thought about it and took a nap! What is Mike talking about gym and run? I would not even think about abusing my body like that. Oh I just poured the first Vodka of the evening also. If we don't hear from you before safe travels to Florida.
.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 18:43
koshkin View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Dark Lord of Optics

Joined: June/15/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 10975
Since I am likely to be the only Windows Phone user here, I downloaded the app and have been using for a couple of days.

With this workout, I have worked up such an appetite that I already gained a few pounds.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2013 at 21:13
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: November/13/2008
Location: Montana
Status: Online
Points: 4617
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

With this workout, I have worked up such an appetite that I already gained a few pounds.


That's a ringing endorsement...as in ring around the middle!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "New HICT 7-minute workout app for Windows Phone"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
Windows 7.5 Ballistics App jonoMT Reloading & Ballistics 18
Before you buy make a phone call BOATBUM101 Rifle Scopes 2 11/8/2004 4:29:20 PM
New member new scope questions P&Y Rifle Scopes 9
Anyone buy the new Weaver RF 3-9 R7 Shooter Rimfire / Airgun 2 10/19/2004 11:01:47 AM
ten more minutes rjtfroggy Rifle Scopes 2
1/2 Minute elevation scopes? shootureyeout Tactical Scopes 5
internal minutes Old Fart Tactical Scopes 4
Apple iTines/iPhone app for snipers !!! Chris Farris Firearms 13
iPad scope, cartridge and bullet selection app cornhuskid Firearms 0
iPad scope, cartridge and bullet selection app cornhuskid Rifle Scopes 22


This page was generated in 0.344 seconds.