New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Minox ZA-3, Meopta MeoPro and Zeiss Conquest
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

Minox ZA-3, Meopta MeoPro and Zeiss Conquest

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2010 at 22:21
koshkin View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Dark Lord of Optics

Joined: June/15/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9618
Short version:

  • I liked all three scopes enough to recommend them. With Minox and Meopta, my recommendation is conditional on how they hold up. These are new product lines, and there is no way of knowing how they fare long term until there are enough of them out in the field. Personally, I suspect they will do just fine. 
  • For the time being, I think Conquest is still the most well-rounded hunting scope in this price range. However, any reticle other than Z-Plex carries a considerable price premium. If you are comfortable with the Z-Plex, Conquest is still the way to go. 
  • Minox offers the most eye relief of the bunch with the most eye position flexibility. It is also smaller and lighter than the other two. If you are looking for a scope to put on a light rifle that has appreciable kick even with moderate calibers, consider the ZA-3. It is a good fit for a mountain rifle. It also has the best centerfield resolution of the bunch. Reticle selection will expand through the year. 
  • If you are comfortable with a large eyepiece and a slightly heavier scope, and you expect to spend a lot of time in low light, consider the Meopta MeoPro with the #4 reticle. It offers a very comfortable view in challenging light and there is no price premium for choosing #4 reticle. Reticle selection is a big deal for me, since there are not all that many reasonably affordable scopes with good low light reticles out there.
Long version:

Let me know what you think.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2010 at 06:42
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar

Joined: November/25/2007
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline
Points: 5389
"And thats how the fight started".  Thanks always for your time and professional advise.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2010 at 16:11
BobinNH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Avatar

Joined: February/14/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 18
That was A great read, Thank you for posting!
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 16:12
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: March/29/2010
Location: SW Lower Mich
Status: Offline
Points: 129
I just finished the read on this review during one of my insomnia moments last night.

Another excellent review.

Thanks' Ilya for doing these reviews for us. Very, informative.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2010 at 18:01
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 12270
Excellent review, Ilya!  Thanks for your time and effort!
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 14:58
koshkin View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Dark Lord of Optics

Joined: June/15/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9618
I just heard back from Minox and the scope I was looking at is indeed an early prototype hence some quirks that I saw with the assembly.

Still, they are ripping it apart to do more detailed FA based on my comments.  Can't ask for more than that.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2010 at 14:59
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
Chief Sackscratch

Joined: December/17/2009
Location: NorthCackalacky
Status: Offline
Points: 27401
The Dark Lord's power once again displayed
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2010 at 09:06
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: January/07/2009
Location: Benton, Pa
Status: Offline
Points: 4303
Thanks for very good review.I've already purchased a Z5 4-20x50 & am looking forward to your opion on this scope,
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2010 at 04:20
amandak695 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Avatar

Joined: August/30/2010
Location: sretre
Status: Offline
Points: 1
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Short version:

  • I liked all three scopes enough to recommend them. With Minox and Meopta, my recommendation is conditional on how they hold up. These are new product lines, and there is no way of knowing how they fare long term until there are enough of them out in the field. Personally, I suspect they will do just fine. 
  • For the time being, I think Conquest is still the most well-rounded hunting scope in this price range. However, any reticle other than Z-Plex carries a considerable price premium. If you are comfortable with the Z-Plex, Conquest is still the way to go. 
  • Minox offers the most eye relief of the bunch with the most eye position flexibility. It is also smaller and lighter than the other two. If you are looking for a scope to put on a light rifle that has appreciable kick even with moderate calibers, consider the ZA-3. It is a good fit for a mountain rifle. It also has the best centerfield resolution of the bunch. Reticle selection will expand through the year. 
  • If you are comfortable with a large eyepiece and a slightly heavier scope, and you expect to spend a lot of time in low light, consider the Meopta MeoPro with the #4 reticle. It offers a very comfortable view in challenging light and there is no price premium for choosing #4 reticle. Reticle selection is a big deal for me, since there are not all that many reasonably affordable scopes with good low light reticles out there.
Long version:

Let me know what you think.

ILya


Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.




Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 21:53
tidmarshsmiths5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: October/16/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 39
WOW! Perfect read! Exactly what I was looking for!

More for me to compare...that was a great writeup.

Thank you.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2010 at 15:09
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
God of no Chihuahua

Joined: December/16/2007
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 24215
............and they are not expensive!!      [ well, not relatively.....400 bucks is still $400...]  
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 15:54
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: July/03/2006
Location: Knoxville, TN
Status: Offline
Points: 294
I must have missed something here. How would the Minox and Conquest compare as far as color, etc. is concerned? I.e. picking out a coyote at a longer distance against a similar background in lower light?

Thanks!

(shut up EdSmile )
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2011 at 23:42
koshkin View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Dark Lord of Optics

Joined: June/15/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9618
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

I must have missed something here. How would the Minox and Conquest compare as far as color, etc. is concerned? I.e. picking out a coyote at a longer distance against a similar background in lower light?

Thanks!

(shut up EdSmile )

As far as color goes, Minox and Conquest are pretty similar.  Picking out a target at a distance will be a little easier with the Minox in the center of the FOV and a little easier with the Conquest closer to the edges.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2011 at 15:59
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: March/31/2009
Location: Washington
Status: Offline
Points: 2717

Ilya,

 

Thank you so much for the great write up. I just ordered 2 of the ZA5 Minox scopes with the help of Chris F. II    Thanks Chris!!Smile  One scope for a AR is a 3x15x50 XR-BDC, the other for a New 17 HMR Savage is a 3x15x42 4A Reticle...... I think these are gonna be Great scopes for these rifles and the price and service sure was great...I may be getting a Vortex PST soon also and Im curious as to what you have to say about them as well Ilya. Please keep up the great work..

Also you asked me to up date you sometime on lil Butch I got from your area in CA. Actually Delano, Butch is doing very very well, he has turned out to be the best dog Ive ever had. I just love Pitts!!
 
Jules......
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 12:11
JAG980 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: July/06/2011
Location: California
Status: Offline
Points: 60
Ya know ... I realize that through the lens camera shots are NOT at all the truth. However when I look at all three of the photos of the American flag, I see the Meopta to be much higher in clarity and resolution. Maybe it is just me though.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 10:56
koshkin View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Dark Lord of Optics

Joined: June/15/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9618
Originally posted by JAG980 JAG980 wrote:

Ya know ... I realize that through the lens camera shots are NOT at all the truth. However when I look at all three of the photos of the American flag, I see the Meopta to be much higher in clarity and resolution. Maybe it is just me though.

"Through the scope" photographs, unless very carefully set up, have exactly zero bearing on the optical quality of the scope.

I do not go through the effort of setting it up and any pictures I take are not designed to demonstrate the optical quality of the photos.

For years, I refused to take any through the scope photos specifically because there would always be someone inclined to make image quality conclusions based on that.  I have started take some of the pictures to show the FOV and the reticles, but despite the disclaimers people still tend to read too much into ti.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2012 at 08:35
153 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: January/02/2010
Location: NC
Status: Offline
Points: 6
Just purchased a Conquest off the Sample List for 329 with at 4a reticle. I already have a Conquest with the Z-plex that to my eye was as good as a Kahles I have,that was 5-6 years old, in low light. I will report back after I mount and compare to the Swarvoski I just purchased last fall.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "Minox ZA-3, Meopta MeoPro and Zeiss Conquest"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
Zeiss HD5 vs Meopta MeoPro Roy Finn Rifle Scopes 3
Meopta Meopro vs Zeiss Conquest dezmick Rifle Scopes 1
Meopta vs zeiss conquest shoot4fun Rifle Scopes 15 2/14/2007 8:15:30 AM
MINOX ZA 3 3-9X40 (PLEX) FOR SALE DAVE44 Optics For Sale 6
Minox za 3 reticle Bighorn75 Rifle Scopes 1
Minox ZA-5 review jetwrnch Rifle Scopes 37
Minox ZA-3 3-9x40: First Look koshkin Rifle Scopes 6
Minox ZA scopes skywalker Rifle Scopes 1
Meopta Meopro 6.5x32 binos Cat Power Binoculars 10
Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 m1bandit Rifle Scopes 6


This page was generated in 0.125 seconds.