New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Minox Bino's, Made in Germany or Japan?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

Minox Bino's, Made in Germany or Japan?

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 16:03
ebow86 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/19/2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline
Points: 72
When I bought my Minox BP 8X44's years ago I remember the most stocking thing was looking underneath and seeing the "Made in Japan" sticker. This was no doubt shocking to someone with very limited experience with Minox Optics. It was also disappointing, as every optic I owned up to that point was Made in Japan, and I wanted that mystique of having a European designed and manufactured glass. Now Minox is obviously a German company, so I never understood why these were made in Japan. I have asked on another forum before but never got an adequate answer.
 
So is there any way of telling what Minox products are manufactured in Germany or Japan other than actually purchasing the product and having first hand experience?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 16:14
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: August/30/2006
Status: Offline
Points: 1424
Originally posted by ebow86 ebow86 wrote:

So is there any way of telling what Minox products are manufactured in Germany or Japan other than actually purchasing the product and having first hand experience?
 
You can contact Minox at www.minox.com or info@minox.com
 
The new APO HIGH GRADE (HG) is now being made in Germany.
Don't be too disappointed regarding their "made in Japan" binoculars. Minox's top-of-the-line binos were being manufactured in Japan and their other models are being manufactured in China.


Edited by Bird Watcher - September/23/2011 at 15:51
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 20:11
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: May/20/2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1125
A few years ago when Minox was under the Leica umbrella, Minox was a Japanese company.  That changed and Minox moved its address to Germany.  In the process, do not forget that Minox was then, and still is a major player in the Japanese optics industry, in spite of the German symbolism they now sport.  As with any other major player in the Japanese optics industry, they have substantial interests in China.  So some stuff is made in Germany...so the label says, but we'll never know how much of what is under the hood is actually all German, and what parts come from wherever else.  One thing for sure if it does not say "Made in Germany" specifically someplace on the glass, then it's not.  If they're doing things legit here, then the label should say either "Made in Japan" or "Made in China".  I know a couple of different people whop went to the last SHOT show.  One of them picked up a catalog from a major Chinese Optics concern, mostly just to see what Chinese optics might offer.  He showed me the catalog a while back and trust me here, a whole ton load of the stuff in that Chinese optics catalog is out there under the Minox label.  And no...I'm not going to get any further into that can of worms.   Just don't think that because the Minox corporate headquarters is in Germany that you are going to get German in anything other than the very expensive upper end Minox stuff.  Most anything (with exceptions to be sure) much less than $500 these days is likely Chinese
 
But the short answer is there is really no way to know if Minox won't tell you.  You can pose the question here and maybe somebody here will know.  However, the important thing is not who made them or where, but how solid the design and manufacturer's tolerances specifed in the production contract are.  Most Minox stuff I've seen seems pretty decent.


Edited by Klamath - September/21/2011 at 20:39
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 01:57
ebow86 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/19/2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline
Points: 72
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

A few years ago when Minox was under the Leica umbrella, Minox was a Japanese company.  That changed and Minox moved its address to Germany.  In the process, do not forget that Minox was then, and still is a major player in the Japanese optics industry, in spite of the German symbolism they now sport.  As with any other major player in the Japanese optics industry, they have substantial interests in China.  So some stuff is made in Germany...so the label says, but we'll never know how much of what is under the hood is actually all German, and what parts come from wherever else.  One thing for sure if it does not say "Made in Germany" specifically someplace on the glass, then it's not.  If they're doing things legit here, then the label should say either "Made in Japan" or "Made in China".  I know a couple of different people whop went to the last SHOT show.  One of them picked up a catalog from a major Chinese Optics concern, mostly just to see what Chinese optics might offer.  He showed me the catalog a while back and trust me here, a whole ton load of the stuff in that Chinese optics catalog is out there under the Minox label.  And no...I'm not going to get any further into that can of worms.   Just don't think that because the Minox corporate headquarters is in Germany that you are going to get German in anything other than the very expensive upper end Minox stuff.  Most anything (with exceptions to be sure) much less than $500 these days is likely Chinese
 
But the short answer is there is really no way to know if Minox won't tell you.  You can pose the question here and maybe somebody here will know.  However, the important thing is not who made them or where, but how solid the design and manufacturer's tolerances specifed in the production contract are.  Most Minox stuff I've seen seems pretty decent.
 
 
Excellent answer, thanks for the explanation.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 11:48
koshkin View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Dark Lord of Optics

Joined: June/15/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9760
I do not think Minox has ever been particularly coy about where they make their products.  Most of them have been made in Pacific Rim countries (either Japan or China depending on the model) until recently when they introduced HG APOs which are made in Germany and moved the production of regular HG binoculars to Germany as well.  The rest of their binoculars are not made in Germany.

Either way, not sure how much it matters.

If the binocular is good, why do you care where it is made?  If you insist on a particular country of manufacture for whatever reason, then you may have to pay the premium for it.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 13:05
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
Avatar

Joined: January/24/2009
Location: michigan
Status: Offline
Points: 814
http://www.minox.org/minoxencyclopedia/z/zapp.html amazing what you can find just searching. i recently got chance to look at a friends hg.  german glass put together in japan, liked them so much i ordered a pair.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 13:58
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: February/06/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 1237
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I do not think Minox has ever been particularly coy about where they make their products.  Most of them have been made in Pacific Rim countries (either Japan or China depending on the model) until recently when they introduced HG APOs which are made in Germany and moved the production of regular HG binoculars to Germany as well.  The rest of their binoculars are not made in Germany.

Either way, not sure how much it matters.

If the binocular is good, why do you care where it is made?  If you insist on a particular country of manufacture for whatever reason, then you may have to pay the premium for it.

ILya

Some people may have a personal bias against giving communist countries like China their hard earned money.  Just a hunch.  
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 14:05
koshkin View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Dark Lord of Optics

Joined: June/15/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9760
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I do not think Minox has ever been particularly coy about where they make their products.  Most of them have been made in Pacific Rim countries (either Japan or China depending on the model) until recently when they introduced HG APOs which are made in Germany and moved the production of regular HG binoculars to Germany as well.  The rest of their binoculars are not made in Germany.

Either way, not sure how much it matters.

If the binocular is good, why do you care where it is made?  If you insist on a particular country of manufacture for whatever reason, then you may have to pay the premium for it.

ILya

Some people may have a personal bias against giving communist countries like China their hard earned money.  Just a hunch.  

There is nothing wrong with that, it is simply personal preference.  However, deep personal convictions usually result in willingness to pay higher price so this should be a win-win: you are willing to pay a premium for something not made in China, while manufacturers are certainly willing to sell you a product made in a country with higher manufacturing costs.  That leaves everyone happy.

Where this breaks down is when people want a German-made product, for Chinese-made prices.  Either way, if country of origin is a big deal for you, it is worth your while to do some research before buying a product.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 20:28
ebow86 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/19/2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline
Points: 72
Although the country of origin shouldn't matter when judging an optical device, the German made optics do indeed carry a certain mystique about them IMHO.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 20:58
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: February/06/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 1237
Koshkin, you asked  "why"? and I gave you a legitimate answer.  I'd personally buy a Zen Ray ( I did).
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 14:39
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
Avatar

Joined: January/24/2009
Location: michigan
Status: Offline
Points: 814
My HG10x43's are made in Germany. I can't really see a difference vs my friends HG's that are German glass manufactured in Japan imo. Minox did improve f.o.v with the one's made in Germany.These binoculars have a life time no fault warranty. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 18:48
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: August/30/2006
Status: Offline
Points: 1424
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

My HG10x43's are made in Germany. I can't really see a difference vs my friends HG's that are German glass manufactured in Japan imo. Minox did improve f.o.v with the one's made in Germany.These binoculars have a life time no fault warranty. 
Thunbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "Minox Bino's, Made in Germany or Japan?"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
Minox HG 8x43 BR binos mcseal2 Binoculars 2
Minox Bino Specs Rusty Binoculars 2 8/6/2005 5:54:32 PM
Minox HG 10x52 BR Binos recppd Binoculars 3 5/1/2007 7:45:53 AM
minox binos pacfan Binoculars 2 11/17/2007 12:43:05 PM
Minox BF 10x42 BR binos Dolphin Binoculars 2
Minox HG Binos? And Other Thoughts cats9 Binoculars 34
bino question, variable binos? feklar Binoculars 11
Sending a red dot sight to Germany david.38spec Rifle Scopes 2
Zeiss Davari 3X9 T made in Germany tuna921 Rifle Scopes 16
Steiner w. germany 7x50 military/marine niles coyote Optics For Sale 1


This page was generated in 0.250 seconds.