New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Long Range Target Rifle: Need Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

Long Range Target Rifle: Need Advice

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options Page  1 2 3 4>
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2010 at 20:55
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar
Shooting Sprout

Joined: June/12/2010
Location: PA
Status: Offline
Points: 4839
Hey everyone, i've been browsing the forums for a while and see there are some real knowledgeable people on here:

I'm looking to get into medium to long range target shooting (primary use). Also would like something that could handle some trips out west for big game (elk, mule deer, ram etc).

I've got a $1000 dollar budget, give or take a hundred dollars on the rifle itself (not including scope, upgrades etc). I already own a Savage .270, BCM AR-15 and Weatherby .243 but would  really like to get into shooting distances upwards of 800-1000 yards. 

Wondering what some of you would recommend for that price range, and purpose(s)? I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks for any input.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2010 at 21:08
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: February/07/2010
Location: Sweeny TX
Status: Offline
Points: 999

Welcome


Were it me. I'd look hard at getting one of these. Lots of options and you can also send them whatever optics you like "something bought from SWFA would be good" and have it done right.


http://www.snipercentral.com/rementrypack.phtml

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2010 at 21:19
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar
Shooting Sprout

Joined: June/12/2010
Location: PA
Status: Offline
Points: 4839
Wow, very nice. Without really looking into it (heading to bed shortly) that seems like a hellova deal for everything in the package.

Who is that outfit exactly? I'd like to gain some background info on them before seriously throwing big $$$ their way, if you know what i mean, lol.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2010 at 21:27
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: February/07/2010
Location: Sweeny TX
Status: Offline
Points: 999
Good group of guys. They have done reviews for some of the SWFA products. I lurk over there some and some of our regulars do as well. It's more of a niche market group than the well rounded thoughts here, but it's a good group of folks. "I've bought a lot of bullets from them and have never had any trouble"
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2010 at 21:32
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: September/01/2004
Status: Offline
Points: 734
1K budget for the rifle?
Take a look at  the Savage sight for the new F class rifle in 6.5-284.
This caliber is the current long range 1000 yard "F" class king of the hill so you won't be lacking.  It's on record as placing 20 consecutive shots into a group under 0.5 moa at point of aim. 
Then there's the old standby, the 308 winchester.  Think of it as the chevy of the long range calibers; readily available, parts(components) are laying about  everywhere and everyone knows how to make them run.  With heavy bullets they deliver good energy at distance and the caliber is a good one to learn wind and mirage with as it is cheap to shoot and lacks any appreciable recoil allowing you to concentrate on shooting and nor your wallet and shoulder. ( you can use your wallet as a shoulder pad with the 308)
 
You didn't give an idea of your level of experience so I'd resist the temptation to buy any of the Ultra Mag calibers.  You'll never master the game if you are a beginner due to the punishment you have to endure to get good at this game.  Seen about a 99% failure rate of new shooters who've chosen this route.
 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2010 at 09:20
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar
Shooting Sprout

Joined: June/12/2010
Location: PA
Status: Offline
Points: 4839
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

1K budget for the rifle?
Take a look at  the Savage sight for the new F class rifle in 6.5-284.
This caliber is the current long range 1000 yard "F" class king of the hill so you won't be lacking.  It's on record as placing 20 consecutive shots into a group under 0.5 moa at point of aim. 
Then there's the old standby, the 308 winchester.  Think of it as the chevy of the long range calibers; readily available, parts(components) are laying about  everywhere and everyone knows how to make them run.  With heavy bullets they deliver good energy at distance and the caliber is a good one to learn wind and mirage with as it is cheap to shoot and lacks any appreciable recoil allowing you to concentrate on shooting and nor your wallet and shoulder. ( you can use your wallet as a shoulder pad with the 308)
 
You didn't give an idea of your level of experience so I'd resist the temptation to buy any of the Ultra Mag calibers.  You'll never master the game if you are a beginner due to the punishment you have to endure to get good at this game.  Seen about a 99% failure rate of new shooters who've chosen this route.
 



In terms of long range shooting i dont have much experience in any aspect. I've done some "jug shoots" (yearly thing with friends of the family) where we put out targets out to 800 yards and have friendly wagers. I won it 2 years ago with a long hit of 622 yards with my Savage .270 so i know i have the ability to work myself into a good shot at longer distances. I was a qualfied expert marksman in the USAF (9mm and M4). Obviously a completely different platform but i'd consider myself a good shot with rifle or pistol. I've pretty much written off getting into the big magnum calibers right off the bat. Would like to ease into with something around the .308 caliber....

Long range shooting is something i haven't done much of though. Excited to get into it. 


Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 05:33
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar
Shooting Sprout

Joined: June/12/2010
Location: PA
Status: Offline
Points: 4839
bump.....anyone else have suggestions?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 06:05
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
OT TITAN

Joined: December/22/2006
Location: North Dakota
Status: Offline
Points: 22024
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

bump.....anyone else have suggestions?

i would listen to what mike has told you.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 07:39
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
Avatar

Joined: August/24/2009
Location: WTBY. CT.
Status: Offline
Points: 379
 
 You already have a Savage so how about just getting a new barrel and bolt head and switching to what ever you want, maybe a 260 or 280 rem both very capable of doing what you want and off the 308 case. For a small investment for an action wrench and a barrel nut wrench(can get both for under $100,a barrel for around$300 and a bolt head for about $20. head space guage and you are good to go. Use your action,your stock,and your current scope. Takes all of about 30 minutes to do.
 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 07:55
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight


Joined: July/04/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5087
any of the guns you have will shoot to 800 yds, and the 270 will do 1000 yds. You need to be more specific on your long range needs and also if you reload.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 08:09
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar
Shooting Sprout

Joined: June/12/2010
Location: PA
Status: Offline
Points: 4839
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

 
 You already have a Savage so how about just getting a new barrel and bolt head and switching to what ever you want, maybe a 260 or 280 rem both very capable of doing what you want and off the 308 case. For a small investment for an action wrench and a barrel nut wrench(can get both for under $100,a barrel for around$300 and a bolt head for about $20. head space guage and you are good to go. Use your action,your stock,and your current scope. Takes all of about 30 minutes to do.
 


I've actually thought about doing something along those lines. I'm really wanting to keep the Savage in its current form though as it's my only deer rifle at this point, and has been extremely good to me. This new project is more for a target punching role. The wife and i are moving into our first home this fall and it has an awesome basement with plenty of workspace for gunsmithing and reloading. She's letting get one more gun in before we try for our first kid next year and i know that i won't have the funds to get much in after that pont Wink. In the past year i've built a BCM AR-15 and picked up a Springfield XDM. This is my last big hoorah if you know what i mean.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 08:15
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
Chief Sackscratch

Joined: December/17/2009
Location: NorthCackalacky
Status: Offline
Points: 28753
If this is your last hoorah then i would go ahead and go custom or high end.  Push the upper limit on your budget.  I know you aren't crazy about the larger magnums but if you aren't gonna be upgrading or buying anything after this one I would consider some of them.  The 300 win mag is a personal favorite of mine and recoil can be managed with load development.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 08:21
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar
Shooting Sprout

Joined: June/12/2010
Location: PA
Status: Offline
Points: 4839
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

any of the guns you have will shoot to 800 yds, and the 270 will do 1000 yds. You need to be more specific on your long range needs and also if you reload.


Oh i know my .270 could reach out to 800-1000 yards and probably be a decent gun at that range with the right hand load. But again, it's my deer rifle and im usually shooting 130gr through it.

I actually just got into reloading last year with my dad. He's done it for years and i wanted to get the basics down and definitely see the cost and hobby aspects of doing it. It's been fun as well over the past year and i'm slowly getting better at "perfecting" it.

We have a lot of long range comp shooting around where i live (central pa) and i've always had an itch to get into it. I'm talking 500-1200 yard type shots. I'm looking to put together a package that will be reliable at those ranges on a variety of targets (non-hunting targets). A secondly role would be a western big game rifle. Obviously the ethics of a good hunter would require you get as close to your target to make a fast, clean kill. I wouldn't be some loon trying to throw a shot at a grand for the fun of it. Obviously i don't do much elk or ram hunting out here in PA Wink
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 08:24
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight


Joined: July/04/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5087
Before you get another baby to feed  (referring to the gun) cost per shot should be considered. 308 based rounds are cheaper to assemble than mags. When considering guns that will be shot a lot and carried little, the stock becomes more important than the actual action and gun. Also if you are really going to do 1000 yd. start with a combination thats really up to at the beginning, not trying to compromise a hunting rifle into a long range rig. McDonalds suggestion is at the top of the list.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 08:25
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
Chief Sackscratch

Joined: December/17/2009
Location: NorthCackalacky
Status: Offline
Points: 28753
you may wanna PM BudPerm, he lives near there and just bought a savage 300 win mag that would fit the bill of what your looking for. He may let you see it if you say please.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 09:22
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar
Shooting Sprout

Joined: June/12/2010
Location: PA
Status: Offline
Points: 4839
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Welcome


Were it me. I'd look hard at getting one of these. Lots of options and you can also send them whatever optics you like "something bought from SWFA would be good" and have it done right.


http://www.snipercentral.com/rementrypack.phtml




I'm definitely interested in what they have to offer as a package deal as i've had more time now to research them. I'm going to place a call on my lunch break here in a bit and dig up some more specific info.

I'm torn though as to the 20" vs 26" inch barrel choices. I'd be inclined to believe that the shorter barrel would have some tack driving accuracy at shorter to mid range distances.  Although im wondering how a .308 (good ammo) would do out to 1000 yards and past. Does anyone have good insight as to the drop off in terminal velocity for a barrel that short at long distances?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 09:29
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
Chief Sackscratch

Joined: December/17/2009
Location: NorthCackalacky
Status: Offline
Points: 28753
The longer barrel will give you more FPS (speed) which will be a good thing trying to reach out that far
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 11:27
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar
Shooting Sprout

Joined: June/12/2010
Location: PA
Status: Offline
Points: 4839
Yeah, i don't want to get off target. The longer barrel would be the better choice for what i'm doing. Getting to the longer targets with speed, to me is more important. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 11:46
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
Avatar

Joined: August/24/2009
Location: WTBY. CT.
Status: Offline
Points: 379
 Try  www.savageshooters.com  there are alot of Pa.guys on that forum. They are even having a Savage shoot in Pa. on the week end of 6/26-27. Good place to find out about the long range Savages and getting into the switch barrel thing.
 There will be pretty much every combo you could ever wish to see, from calibers to stocks off the shelf to custom, there will even be a custom stock maker or two there and I'm pretty sure that a Savage gun smith will be there showing his wares.
 Give it a look you may change your mind.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 11:53
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar
Shooting Sprout

Joined: June/12/2010
Location: PA
Status: Offline
Points: 4839
Originally posted by rjtfroggy rjtfroggy wrote:

 Try  www.savageshooters.com  there are alot of Pa.guys on that forum. They are even having a Savage shoot in Pa. on the week end of 6/26-27. Good place to find out about the long range Savages and getting into the switch barrel thing.
 There will be pretty much every combo you could ever wish to see, from calibers to stocks off the shelf to custom, there will even be a custom stock maker or two there and I'm pretty sure that a Savage gun smith will be there showing his wares.
 Give it a look you may change your mind.


Thanks for the info!    
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 12:11
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
show me your sheep!!

Joined: January/01/2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline
Points: 27630
Hey Foggy you coulda told me about this!!!  I have been a little preoccupied lately.  Welcome Shooter07!  I live in York County, southcentral PA just over the PA southern border from Baltimore.  I recently bought teh brand new Savage Long Range Hunter in 300WM.  It has teh Accu-stock, Accu-trigger, Kristen Checkpiece a heavy Sporter barrel and an adjustable break you can turn off and on.  She is a shooter strait out of the box and is currently under 0.75MOA and I am still developing loads!  SO far she likes 168 to 208gr pills.
 
I got her for $784 delivered NIB.  I have very quickly come to love Savages!!!!  Bought 3 in the last year. All very low cost and all shooters straight out of the box!!!  I have to admit the Remy package looks like a great deal but without getting a 5R the OOB accuracy might be suspect.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 12:12
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
show me your sheep!!

Joined: January/01/2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Status: Offline
Points: 27630
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention my gun weight 8.75 pounds without scope so it is fieldable and will be my bear, elk and Sasquatch gun.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 12:13
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
Chief Sackscratch

Joined: December/17/2009
Location: NorthCackalacky
Status: Offline
Points: 28753
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention my gun weight 8.75 pounds without scope so it is fieldable and will be my bear, elk and Sasquatch gun.
you'll need a bigger caliper for that kinda gameWink
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 13:42
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar
Shooting Sprout

Joined: June/12/2010
Location: PA
Status: Offline
Points: 4839
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Hey Foggy you coulda told me about this!!!  I have been a little preoccupied lately.  Welcome Shooter07!  I live in York County, southcentral PA just over the PA southern border from Baltimore.  I recently bought teh brand new Savage Long Range Hunter in 300WM.  It has teh Accu-stock, Accu-trigger, Kristen Checkpiece a heavy Sporter barrel and an adjustable break you can turn off and on.  She is a shooter strait out of the box and is currently under 0.75MOA and I am still developing loads!  SO far she likes 168 to 208gr pills.
 
I got her for $784 delivered NIB.  I have very quickly come to love Savages!!!!  Bought 3 in the last year. All very low cost and all shooters straight out of the box!!!  I have to admit the Remy package looks like a great deal but without getting a 5R the OOB accuracy might be suspect.


Savages are arguably the best bang for your buck on the market and have been for a # of years. I don't know if i've shot an "affordable" rifle out of the box and gotten better results. I own a .270 version myself.

The Remy package is very intriguing but as you said a few things to take into account. The barrel type (while very solid) isn't quite on a 5R level, imo. Not a huge deal because i don't think the gap is that big, but still something to think about.

I've also read that many .223 and a few .308 shooters are having problems with the extractor on the SPS tactical versions. That's about the only real concern i'd have at this point with the package, but i've got some good friends who are BIG remington shooters.

Still researching but i appreciate the info. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2010 at 18:48
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: February/07/2010
Location: Sweeny TX
Status: Offline
Points: 999

They have a Howa package deal as well, but I don't care for the creep in the triggers on the Howas. I've shot 2 of them and both triggers were poor. It's well within your budget to get one and have a better trigger dropped in. The rifles I shot ".204 Ruger and .308" both grouped well, but would have grouped better if the trigger pull had felt right. 


Savage makes some really good rifles, and the Sako A7 is also in your price ball park. 


I suggested the Remington package as it looks like a good deal and adds some individuality without breaking the bank. Thunbs Up


Keep us posted on whatever you get. I will at some point have a range only, .308 bolt gun.

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  1 2 3 4>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "Long Range Target Rifle: Need Advice"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
Ideal LONG RANGE RIFLE jonbravado Rifle Scopes 65 12/11/2006 3:02:27 PM
Building my first long range rifle modingus Tactical Scopes 5 2/20/2007 11:44:02 AM
Need Scope Advice for .338 Win Mag Elk Rifle Brazos_Jack Rifle Scopes 4
Range Finder Advice Needed! birdhunter Laser Rangefinders 0 11/29/2006 9:29:12 AM
Need Optics Advice Bought a New Rifle jmr1969 Rifle Scopes 30
ok need some advice on a rifle scope I am so confu bandk Rifle Scopes 13
First Rifle Need Advice On A Scope schoenjm Rifle Scopes 10 1/1/2007 12:44:03 AM
Varmint Rifle Project - need advice Scandar Varmint Scopes 12 7/5/2004 12:10:44 AM
Need Scope advice for new .22 Rifle Cuz-Pat Rimfire / Airgun 2
TARGET RIFLE, TARGET SCOPE hot30 Target 4 1/22/2007 9:33:51 AM


This page was generated in 0.250 seconds.