New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - leupold scope blurry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

leupold scope blurry

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2012 at 17:19
MasterX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: July/10/2012
Status: Offline
Points: 6
Hello everyone. I need some information on a situation that happened recently.

My brother-in-law and I were out shooting guns. He brought along his .44 mag ruger with a leupold scope. We both shot it and everything was fine. However, at one time I happened to be standing about 3 or 4 feet away from him when I took a shot with a 7mm mag. At this point, he went to take a shot with his ruger and noticed his scope was now blurry and could not see through it very well. I dont know much about leupold scopes but I couldnt find any way to focus it.

Could the concussive force of my shot have damaged his scope? Im being blamed for it but it wasnt like I had any idea that it would have caused any damage.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2012 at 17:28
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar

Joined: November/25/2007
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline
Points: 5389
Don't worry Leupold has a lifetime warranty and their customer service is excellent.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2012 at 22:39
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: July/15/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 2453
Did the diopter adjustment get moved? That is the ring on the end of the eye piece.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 08:30
MasterX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: July/10/2012
Status: Offline
Points: 6
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Don't worry Leupold has a lifetime warranty and their customer service is excellent.


Thanks, that is good to know. I was afraid the warranty had expired.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 08:31
MasterX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: July/10/2012
Status: Offline
Points: 6
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Did the diopter adjustment get moved? That is the ring on the end of the eye piece.


Thats what I had thought but I couldnt find any pieces that moved that would focus the lenses.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 09:02
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 12745
There's a threaded portion between the eyepiece and the power ring (if it's a variable power scope).  The whole eyepiece housing is screwed onto these threads.  This allows the eyepiece to move forward and backward to adjust the focal length of the eyepiece and focus the reticle (and in the process, the target image).  Just in front of the eyepiece housing is a lock ring.  This lock ring keeps the eyepiece from rotating once your diopter (focus) is set.  Unscrew this lock ring to free up the eyepiece.  Then slowly turn the eyepiece in either direction while looking at the sky or a light colored background such as a white wall and stop turning when the reticle appears most sharply focused.  If focus gets worse when you start rotating the eyepiece, you know you're going in the wrong direction, so reverse the rotation.  Rotate a little at a time, making certain to look away from the scope occasionally while doing this so your eye doesn't have time to try to adjust to an out of focus reticle.  Once the best focus is achieved, retighten the lock ring against the eyepiece again to lock that setting in place.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 10:43
MasterX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: July/10/2012
Status: Offline
Points: 6
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

There's a threaded portion between the eyepiece and the power ring (if it's a variable power scope).  The whole eyepiece housing is screwed onto these threads.  This allows the eyepiece to move forward and backward to adjust the focal length of the eyepiece and focus the reticle (and in the process, the target image).  Just in front of the eyepiece housing is a lock ring.  This lock ring keeps the eyepiece from rotating once your diopter (focus) is set.  Unscrew this lock ring to free up the eyepiece.  Then slowly turn the eyepiece in either direction while looking at the sky or a light colored background such as a white wall and stop turning when the reticle appears most sharply focused.  If focus gets worse when you start rotating the eyepiece, you know you're going in the wrong direction, so reverse the rotation.  Rotate a little at a time, making certain to look away from the scope occasionally while doing this so your eye doesn't have time to try to adjust to an out of focus reticle.  Once the best focus is achieved, retighten the lock ring against the eyepiece again to lock that setting in place.


Thanks for the info, its very helpful. I will have to check for a lock ring. I have no idea what the model is but does leupold make any scopes that are fixed in focus?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 11:07
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 12745
Originally posted by MasterX MasterX wrote:

I have no idea what the model is but does leupold make any scopes that are fixed in focus?


No.  All rifle scopes of any brand I'm aware of have a means of diopter focusing, either using the traditional threaded eyepiece housing as used on the Leupold, or a fixed eyepiece housing with separate fast focus adjustment on the end of the eyepiece.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 12:18
MasterX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: July/10/2012
Status: Offline
Points: 6
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by MasterX MasterX wrote:

I have no idea what the model is but does leupold make any scopes that are fixed in focus?


No.  All rifle scopes of any brand I'm aware of have a means of diopter focusing, either using the traditional threaded eyepiece housing as used on the Leupold, or a fixed eyepiece housing with separate fast focus adjustment on the end of the eyepiece.


Thanks again. I will take another look and follow up with a post on my findings.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 14:49
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: May/20/2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1132
The concussive force may have had some effect.  That force is perhaps greater than one might imagine.  Logic would seem to indicate that the thrust forces of recoil would indicate that the scope should have not been affected by the blast.  Actually I think your BIL might have been more affected, I might have had something to say to a 7mm Mag shooter touching off a 3-4 feet away from me.  But maybe the scope's time was up that day anyway. 
 
Take Rifle Dude's advice on the focus ring.  I'd loosen the ring and back the ocular out on the threads a ways and start moving inward.  That is a painfully slow focus process and it may take some movement before focus is noted.  Maybe the focus ring was loose and had been loose and finally backed off enough thgrough repeated recoil forces.  You will need to balance the fine focus of the reticle against fine focus of the image.  Getting the two to focus together is the trick.
 
If that does not work then send it to Leupold for and inspect and repair as needed checkup.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "leupold scope blurry"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
NEW Leupold 1.5-5x33 VX-R Scout Scope Brady Rifle Scopes 37
super sniper 16x scope w/blurry reticle omak Rifle Scopes 2 10/30/2006 8:20:42 PM
Burris/Leupold Scope Rings and Bases lefty7 Rings and bases 2
leupold scope reticle countryboy Rifle Scopes 8
Leupold tactical scope hydra7 Optics For Sale 5
old leupold scope and help on scopes nj123 Rifle Scopes 12
Leupold VX-R, 4-14x50 Scope midwesterner Rifle Scopes 2
Blurry site picture with SS 10x42m crashnrondo Tactical Scopes 2 6/10/2004 1:15:12 PM
blurry kahles??? mlv2k5 Rifle Scopes 8
Leupold 1.5-5X33 Scout Scope JJD Rifle Scopes 0


This page was generated in 0.422 seconds.