New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Guts or glass? You decide...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

Guts or glass? You decide...

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options Page  < 1 23
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 16:32
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: January/09/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 95

Hey everyone, I assure you that I am not mentally ill.  However, Rifledude just summed up all of my feelings in a nutshell.  I do not feel that Leupold always offers the best value.  However, I do feel that for me, and my specific application for the scope, that the Leupold VX-II 4-12x40AO with Fine Duplex reticle (I feel like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story") is the best choice in its class for me.  I enjoy benchrest shooting, it will look very nice on my rifle, it will carry very well, and all in all, it's gonna rock.

 

However, if I were to look for a scope for a different rifle, I would undoubtedly very strongly consider Nikons, Burrises (as I already have for this one), etc...I don't think that I would ever buy one of Leupold's "top notch" scopes, I would gravitate more toward the Swarovskis, Shepherds (random), and the like.

 

In fact, if I were to build a rifle purely for deer, I would grab one of those Monarchs with its Nikoplex reticle and .  I do enjoy aiming at very specific targets though, just for fun.  Have you ever tried shooting insects at 100 yards or more?

 

Haha I wish I could prove to you that I'm not deranged, but I am beginning to feel more inclined to play the part.  I must also remind you all that I'm not very old, and I have nowhere near as much experience as any of you.  Anyway...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 16:41
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: October/05/2006
Location: North Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 1795
Originally posted by guitarman guitarman wrote:

Hey everyone, I assure you that I am not mentally ill.  However, Rifledude just summed up all of my feelings in a nutshell.  I do not feel that Leupold always offers the best value.  However, I do feel that for me, and my specific application for the scope, that the Leupold VX-II 4-12x40AO with Fine Duplex reticle (I feel like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story") is the best choice in its class for me.  I enjoy benchrest shooting, it will look very nice on my rifle, it will carry very well, and all in all, it's gonna rock.

 

However, if I were to look for a scope for a different rifle, I would undoubtedly very strongly consider Nikons, Burrises (as I already have for this one), etc...I don't think that I would ever buy one of Leupold's "top notch" scopes, I would gravitate more toward the Swarovskis, Shepherds (random), and the like.

 

In fact, if I were to build a rifle purely for deer, I would grab one of those Monarchs with its Nikoplex reticle and .  I do enjoy aiming at very specific targets though, just for fun.  Have you ever tried shooting insects at 100 yards or more?

 

Haha I wish I could prove to you that I'm not deranged, but I am beginning to feel more inclined to play the part.  I must also remind you all that I'm not very old, and I have nowhere near as much experience as any of you.  Anyway...

 

Guitarman, nobody was talking about you being mentally deranged.  Read all the posts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 16:44
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: January/09/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 95
Thank you, Dolphin, I am aware.  I just thought I would clarify my mental disposition.  Lol thanx though, man.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 16:55
koshkin View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Dark Lord of Optics

Joined: June/15/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 11587
I just read through this thread and I am trying to understand what all the noise is about.  It sound like guitarman wants to by a Leupold, so let him buy a Leupy.  If he wanted to buy something representing the best bang for the buck in terms of performance (optical and mechanical quality), the recommendation would certainly be different.

There is nothing wrong with the fact that he likes a particular finish that Leupold uses or the appearance of the scope.  I generally do not care about those parts of the scope unless the shape/size of the scope interferes with mounting.  However, to each his own.

Besides, if guitarman want to use the VX-II for benchrest type shooting, there should not be much practical difference between different scope from the optical perspective. If I understand this correctly, this type of shooting is typically done in pretty good light.  From a mechanical standpoint, make sure you have a rubber mallet with you and you should be fine.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 17:21
tahqua View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Joined: March/27/2006
Location: Michigan, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 8192
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

From a mechanical standpoint, make sure you have a rubber mallet with you and you should be fine.

ILya


I'm eating as I read this and a good belly laugh was needed after the last 24 hours of OT. I'll go clean my shirt off now, thanks ILya.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 19:23
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: September/13/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 514

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I just read through this thread and I am trying to understand what all the noise is about.  It sound like guitarman wants to by a Leupold, so let him buy a Leupy.  If he wanted to buy something representing the best bang for the buck in terms of performance (optical and mechanical quality), the recommendation would certainly be different.

From a mechanical standpoint, make sure you have a rubber mallet with you and you should be fine.

ILya

 

I agree.  Part of my frustration was that we spent over 6 pages trying to persuade guitarman to make a choice when his decision had already been made.  All the rationalizations, reasoning, and experience doesn't mean squat to somebody who has already made up their mind.  Regardless, it's his bed & now he gets to sleep in it.  So long as he's happy with his decision then I'm happy for him.

 

I think brownells.com is having a sale on rubber mallets!  Maybe they'll throw one in with a set of Leupold Rifleman rings???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 19:34
Roy Finn View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Steiner Junkie

Joined: April/05/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4856
Will be needing a set of vise grips to turn the power ring adjustment on a VX2. That is probably the biggest complaint I hear, even among the most die hard of Leupold connoisseurs.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 20:32
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: January/09/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 95

I apologize to anyone if I wasted their time.  It surely was not my intent to do so!  I especially apologize to ceylonc.  I have not yet made up my mind, because it could be a couple of months before I make my purchase.  I have learned a lot from all of you, and I will keep this in mind when I make my purchase.  If the Monarch is still on sale when I decide to get the scope, then I have almost no doubt I'll get it, Nikon's are awesome (I loved my old Buckmaster).  I am also very excited to see what the "new Monarch" has to offer, and there is a very good chance I will get it, as Nikon has some nice offerings.  Without your help, I almost certainly wouldn't have considered Nikon.  Thanks, folks :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 20:40
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman


Joined: September/13/2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 514
Originally posted by guitarman guitarman wrote:

I apologize to anyone if I wasted their time.  It surely was not my intent to do so!  I especially apologize to ceylonc.  I have not yet made up my mind, because it could be a couple of months before I make my purchase.  I have learned a lot from all of you, and I will keep this in mind when I make my purchase.  If the Monarch is still on sale when I decide to get the scope, then I have almost no doubt I'll get it, Nikon's are awesome (I loved my old Buckmaster).  I am also very excited to see what the "new Monarch" has to offer, and there is a very good chance I will get it, as Nikon has some nice offerings.  Without your help, I almost certainly wouldn't have considered Nikon.  Thanks, folks :-)

 

It's good to have you here!  Keep in touch & let us know what you decide to buy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 21:43
tahqua View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Joined: March/27/2006
Location: Michigan, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 8192
Guitarman, those Monarchs are selling fast. I ordered a 2-7 mat finish and ended getting a gloss this past week. I am sure the mat finishes are selling faster. Just something to think about since this a great deal on some fine optics. Or just get the Leupy and be happy.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2007 at 22:26
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: January/09/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 95
Blast my meager earnings as a poor undergraduate student!  I hope Nikon comes out with a kicka$$ new Monarch...I am very very excited to see it!
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 22:49
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: January/09/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 95

Hey dudes, I have done a great deal of contemplation, and I now realize that the Nikon Monarch is better than the VX-II (and at 280 bucks, probably the best deal on the planet).  I must apologize, as I can be quite stubborn at times!  I only hope I can get my paws on one before they run out... 

 

BLAST MY MEAGER EARNINGS!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2007 at 22:54
guitarman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: January/09/2007
Status: Offline
Points: 95
I was fooled by the allure of a gold ring, which does mean quality, but I cannot deny that they are indeed overpriced.  I was going to pay 400 bucks for a 3-piece tube ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  < 1 23
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "Guts or glass? You decide..."
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
can u get disease from possum guts? meat head General Hunting 55
Glass Glass Quality- Zeiss Conquest VS Trijicon YakAk Rifle Scopes 10
cannot decide perch161 Rifle Scopes 5
Best glass on a $ 500 budget BOATBUM101 Rifle Scopes 8
Help me decide between 2 scopes monovik77 Rifle Scopes 1
Does anyone swap out their glasses and binoculars Canuck Bob Binoculars 13
Burris XTR II...help me decide on which model bbush Tactical Scopes 3
Not yet decided rustic Rifle Scopes 18
help deciding burris vs millet vs vortex LSGriff Rifle Scopes 8
finally decided 257nut Spotting Scopes 0


This page was generated in 0.406 seconds.