FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

Short muzzle brake?

Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2018 at 11:07
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Anyone have a recommendation on one for the 308? I want to add one to my 700 AAC-SD to protect the muzzle, but want the shortest one possible. 

I have seen a few online, but... wanted to see if anyone had some real world experience with one. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2018 at 14:48
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

I have had good luck with short linear comps (JAL comps) from AR15 Performance.  They add very little length and work well.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2018 at 15:14
SEMO Shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

I really like my Area 419 Hellfire brake.  It reduces muzzle rise and recoil well.  It is self timing and easy to install. It will add 2" to your OAL barrel length.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2018 at 15:25
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

2 inches is to much. That takes my 20 in barrel and makes it a 22. 

Almost want to have barrel cut to 18 and rethreaded. This is my 700 AAC-SD. I want something that protects the crown on the muzzle, the current thread protector doesn't. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2018 at 15:27
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Maybe buy a .750 length thread protector?  Most threaded barrels are .625, so that will give you a bit of protection. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2018 at 15:58
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Originally posted by Lockjaw Lockjaw wrote:

2 inches is to much. That takes my 20 in barrel and makes it a 22. 

Almost want to have barrel cut to 18 and rethreaded. This is my 700 AAC-SD. I want something that protects the crown on the muzzle, the current thread protector doesn't. 

JAL comp extends the barrel by less than an inch.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2018 at 20:38
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Call up Macs Gunworks in Gillette Wy.  They make a NWP brake that I like.  If you sweet talk them, they made a half length prototype you can get ahold of.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2018 at 10:51
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Why get a brake - and deal with the issues it causes - when you can simply get a slightly longer thread protector?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2018 at 15:13
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

I may have to get a thread protector instead.

The crown was one of the things Remington redid when it was in there, so I'm just planning ahead before next hunting season.

Jal comp may work for me.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2018 at 15:35
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

I ended up getting a Rousch Rampage XS4 prong flash suppressor, its short, 1.58 inches long. I figure threaded on barrel it will add an inch of that. JAL was out of stock on their device. 

I just really wanted something to protect the crown since I hunt with it. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2018 at 17:43
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

I have had a few like that.  They do work well for the flash, but they ting like a tuning fork when you shoot.  Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2018 at 08:18
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Well if I don't like it, then I can always back up and punt. It was 30 bucks. 

Eventually I hope to suppress it, or maybe get a 300 blackout or something. I want to make my hunting a little more secretive. 

Gotta kill it in the afternoon to get out without people knowing. Kill it in the morning, they all figure it out. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2018 at 15:22
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

I got it, it added about an inch to the end of barrel. Looks good too. Hope it does its job.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2018 at 19:03
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

If its job is to make you deaf, it will do its job well:

Stay safe out there!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic