OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Photography > Cameras, Equipment and Settings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Compass camera

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compass camera
    Posted: July/17/2017 at 13:07
How about a point shoot that records the direction your were pointing the camera when you took the picture? Need one for work!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2017 at 13:14
Looks like there are some apps that may do that for phones.  Do a search in the play or apple app stores.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2017 at 13:26
Time and the sun, it's all I need. Or stars.  Or landmarks. Or a compass in the bottom corner of each picture.

On an actual camera, not that I've seen.  

Out of curiosity: what is the circumstance where you would want/need this?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2017 at 15:14
The pictures are used in reports on field work. The end customer is a government agency. There are constraints on what and why to get that do not relate well to people who live in the real world. 

Thanks.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2017 at 16:32
The Cool pics Nikon's that have the built in GPS can provide the bearing. In is in the recording information. I am not sure if it will automatically print on the recorded picture. Using the software the direction and GPS numbers can be printed with the picture. You are finding that government requirements exceed the market availability many times. Loco
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2017 at 10:26
Thanks I will check them out.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2017 at 07:20
Screen shot the compass on your phone and edit/insert it into the pic?
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2017 at 23:36
Google "Ranger -GPS by Novagrade."
-Matt
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2017 at 14:07
Depending on how accurate the direction needs to be, e.g. generally north is "good enough" or ± 1°, you might need to verify the direction an app or device is giving you. Apple supposedly uses a correction within iOS for the compass but we've found that to not really be true. Our apps use declination tables to correct for this. (Now if you live in near the Mississippi River you can just disregard declination).

Even if declination is corrected, magnetic anomalies nearby (your car, refrigerator, laptop) can skew readings. Pictures taken out in the open, away from interference, would tend to be okay.

GPS readings like course tend to be accurate because they are determining direction between points traveled (generally using atan2). But I don't know of any way GPS positional data is going to tell you which way you're facing if you aren't moving.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2017 at 14:35
There's some neat stuff out there; especially for "tactical" applications. I never have any luck getting the good stuff through purchasing even when I need it. I need a GIS appropriate GPS sensor. I was able to get something suitable for hiking. Did y'all know you can pretty much get coordinates as accurate as a top of the line Magellan just zooming in on Google Earth? Nevermind.

Of the usual consumer grade offerings, Olympus and Nikon have the higher end TG and Coolpix models with associated functions. 

According to the manual on the Nikon web, the W300 will overlay the information on the picture. The others might, but it was not clear in the manuals. So, I requested the W300. Thanks, y'all.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2017 at 18:34
Good luck.
I had a similar problem finding the camera that met the HUD guidelines we work under. This is why I am using the Nikon. My information page shows 326,752 pictures taken on this camera alone. This is my 3rd Nikon. Will admit it is starting to make strange noises when you turn it on. Loco
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic