OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting binos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting binos
    Posted: September/24/2016 at 14:58
Like so recommendation on some binoculars, around 500ish.. could go a little more but trying to keep it under that. Looking for a nice 8x 42 or 32 for hunting. Binocular wise I just own some Zen ray zrs HD 10x42 and a Leupold Yosemite 6x30. My razor ii rifle scope and pentax Ed spotter has spoiled my eyes. Would like something more alpaish but that's my price range   Need something long eye relief since i do not always were contacts.

Right now my top choices are:
Pentax 8x43 zd wp
Vortex talon 8x42
Hawkeye sapphire 8x42
Bushnell elite 8x42

Edited by stork23raz - September/24/2016 at 17:15
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2016 at 19:06
stork, spend $550 and get a Tract Toric 8x42.   My side by side comparisons put it on par with the Meopta Meostar HD, SLC HD, and Vortex Razor.  It is superior to the Conquest HD as well.  It is head and shoulders better than anything you listed.  I had mine in Namibia recently for 10 days and it is very well built, clear, and sharp.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2016 at 19:49
Never heard of that brand, are they new?
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2016 at 20:08

Yes.  competitor is their site.  

JGRaider, read, and comply with, the rules you are required to acknowledge when you sign up to be a member of OT.

Edited by Kickboxer - September/26/2016 at 16:52
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2016 at 23:21

+1 to JGRaider's post.  None of the ones you mentioned will come close to the Tract Toric.  The Toric is the best sub-$700 bino I've ever seen, so at their current sale price of $565, the choice is a no-brainer.  Do whatever you can to come up with another $65.  Sell a kidney if you have to.

Good people to deal with too.......

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2016 at 03:32
The guys running Tract are ex Nikon folks.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2016 at 06:20
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Image result

Visit the Ed Show
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2016 at 12:10
Son of Ed -- that's a very, ummm..... interesting haircut you have there......
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2016 at 12:13
Bucky
Visit the Ed Show
erinis0112 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinis0112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2016 at 15:19
http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/hunting-binoculars.php
There's a God somewhere.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2016 at 16:59
Yea I've checked out best binos website. Got some good info. Toric sounds to go to be true, is not that I don't trust your opinion on them it's really that is a new company, ya know will they still be around in 5 years to back their product? If I'm gonna spend 500+ i think I'd prefer to go with a brand that has stood the test of time. I'll read some more on toric though, not ruled then out. Sounds like a great bang for buck

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2016 at 11:09
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Forgot to say I knew Jon Allen from our days repping Nikon. He was the sales manager at the time.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2016 at 13:02
Stork,

I ahve not tested Toric, so I do not have any opinions on them.  Frankly, if you want a quality binocular for around $1k or so, my nearly default recommendations are Meopta Meostar either in 8x32 or 8x42 or Leica Trinovid 8x42.

The new Kahles looks promising, but I need to test it.

If you are trying to get that wow-factor you get from your high end riflescopes, that is the way I would go.

ILya
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2016 at 15:45
I think your right,if I cheap out I will end up regretting it and still end up having to buy something nicer.
I'll just have to save my pennys a while longer.

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2016 at 16:19
stork,   I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  

I will guarantee you one thing though, if you think you'll be getting a better binocular than the Toric, even though you plan to save up to spend more $$$, you'll be sadly mistaken.  I compared them directly to my SLC HD, Meopta Meostar HD, the Razor HD, all costing well over $1000, and a Conquest HD at about $900.  The Toric held it's own with the SLC HD (couldn't tell any difference), was slightly sharper,  better resolution than my Meopta HD, and slightly sharper and better resolution than my buddy's Razor HD and Conquest HD.  We had them on tripod's just to eliminate shake.  I also compared them to a Swarovision 8x32, as I bought it anticipating taking it to Namibia for 10 days.   While I do think the SV's are the finest glass on the planet, the Toric was easier to use, less finicky eye placement, had much better glare control, and had a smoother focus than the SV.  I sent the SV back to competitor and took the Toric to Africa.  While in camp, there were the following binoculars on hand.....SLC WB 8x42, SLC WB 8x30, Conquest HD, Mojave Pro Guide ED, and an SLCneu in 8x42.  The Torics were the best of the bunch, passed around to everyone including the PH's, and the best binocular in that bunch was obvious.  

Just food for thought, as I do think a guy should buy whatever he wants at whatever price he wants.  I do understand the thought of Tract being the new kid on the block as well.  If you want more user comments on the Toric, go to the birdforum and look there.   They came to the same conclusions as I did.  

Good luck, and have some fun with it.  

That's twice

Edited by Kickboxer - September/26/2016 at 16:54
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic