OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mark AR 3-9 vs VX-R Patrol 3-9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mark AR 3-9 vs VX-R Patrol 3-9
    Posted: August/28/2016 at 21:36
The the *only* difference 1" vs 30mm tube and the associated (theoretical) additional elevation range?  I have the Mod 1 and the reticle is too... compressed.  Some of the pics on Leupold's site seem to show a slightly different reticle in the VX-R Patrol, while pics under google images show it to be essentially the same.

Thanks.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2016 at 21:54
Thats not true. The vx-r has a step up in lens coatings. Mark ar has vx1 glass vxr has vx2 glass. 30mm tube all else being equal is a stronger tube. The modified TMR reticle is different in the vxr. And the on the inside we have no idea whats the real differences are. Vx2 are generally considered more durable than vx1.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tucansam View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucansam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2016 at 22:27
Thank you.

I must say that the glass in the Mark AR (VX1 glass?) is stunning, given the weight of the scope (lack thereof) and the price.

Can you comment on the details in the differences in the reticle?

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2016 at 23:53
Take it out in low light against a good low light scope and it wont be so stunning. The patrol looks outstanding in daylight. But in low light its just good is all. But the firedot makes it seem alot better than others because u can see the reticle so well.

After lookng more i see they do have a modified tmr in the ar scope. I didnt see that a first look. I just saw the duplex and mildot. I also dont own the ar scope but i do the patrol. So my opinion on it is just specs i have read. The patrols are excellent scopes IMO.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Ghostman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2016 at 05:42
The glass coatings and erector springs are completely different between the two models.....The VX-R is a much better scope. Better glass coatings and has the twin bias springs like the VX-3 and VX-6 scopes have.

The VX-R IMO is closer to a VX-3 than a VX-2.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic