OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger No. 1 International Scope Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buffaloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger No. 1 International Scope Recommendation
    Posted: August/20/2016 at 10:56
Just purchased a Ruger No. 1 International in 7x57. Always loved this caliber. Have shoot moose, caribio and Dall sheep with this round.

I am looking for suggestions on a scope to use. I'll be shooting in the lower 48 mostly for deer either in open sage brush and fields for antelope and deer. 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2016 at 12:09
Love the Ruger #1's... but scoping them can be challenging to say the least. You need a scope with a long tube (available mounting length) and good eye relief to get it back far enough (without resorting to extension rings). Mine currently wears a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x 40. I've also used a Leupy fixed 6 x 36 and 6 x 42 and a Sightron BS 3-9 x 42.  
BTW, welcome to the OT forums. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2016 at 17:28
My Ruger #1 in .458 Lott has a 4x Zeiss Conquest, which is fantastic.  My Ruger #1 in .458 Winchester Magnum has a Pentax Gameseeker 4x… which is also excellent.  Swift makes a 1.5-4.5 that would be a very good choice for your caliber.  Leupold 2.5-8 might be acceptable.
Your 7x57 was virtually the military deathknell of the 30-40 Krag.  A very nice round that should "fit" the Ruger #1 well.  My #1's are very accurate, a joy to shoot.  I would go for good glass, low magnification range… on the high end… Schmidt and Bender 1.5-6 would be a dream.  
You have a lot of options… have fun with it.  Great rifle.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2016 at 21:39
i absolutely love the Monarch 3 1-4x20 scope with no 4 reticle. It would fit on that rifle and caliber like a glove
there are others inthat size and type. I think that a large scope with a huge objective would be useful, but would look odd on that rifle. 
Weaver Kaspa series has a scope like that as well, 30 mm i think.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic