OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope/Mount/Base Selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem700P308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope/Mount/Base Selection
    Posted: May/23/2016 at 15:32

I have a Remington 700P .308 that has been sitting in my safe unfired for about 15 years.  I have finally decided to get off my lazy butt and scope it and start shooting it.  I am probably going to choose some variety of Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm scope. 

First...base height...20 moa or zero moa.  I initially thought that I would probably get a 20 moa base, but after a conversation I had today with someone in customer service at SWFA, I will probably get a zero MOA.  I was told that my scope choice had plenty of elevation to get me to 1,000 yards with a zero base, and that the 20 moa base might not enable me to get a 100 yard zero.  He said that it also raises the scope in the back which effects cheek weld and lowers it in the front which effects objective clearance off the barrel.  If your opinion varies, please let me know.

Next...rings and base brand.  I know that the Badger rings and base are probably better, but I will probably get the Leupold Mark 4 rings and base for cost savings and the fact that they are probably good enough for my level of ability.  If your opinion varies, please let me know.  I know that the rings are available in steel and aluminum, and I would probably opt for steel.  Does anybody know what the Mark 4 bases are made of?

Finally...ring height.  If I were to go with the Leupold zero MOA base using a Leupold 4.5-14x50MM, what ring height would I need to get the scope as low as possible, but still clear the barrel in the front and the bolt in the back? My options are Medium, High, and Super High.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for the amateurish newbie type questions.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 15:45
Where is Raider when you need him?
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Rem700P308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem700P308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 16:02

I just hung up with Leupold Technical Support where I learned that what I thought was a Mark 4 zero MOA base is actually a 15 MOA.  So my options are 15 and 20 moa, with no zero MOA available in the Mark 4 line. 

The Leupold guy said that either would enable me to get a 100 yard zero and either would get me to 1,000 yards with that scope choice.  He said that the 15 moa would help a little on the short range stuff and the 20 moa would help a little on the long range, but either would work.  He said the difference is not very dramatic at all.

So take that into account when answering my questions please.

Thanks.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 16:04
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Canted rails do mess with cheek weld a little, but I'd call it "negligible" at best. I use a stock pack on my Remington VS and never really noticed when I switched from a 20 MOA Badger rail, to Tally LW's. 

Before going on much further, let me ask this. How far do you see yourself shooting "most" of the time? 
I assume this isn't a dedicated "1000 yard rifle", right? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 16:07
You should have no problems obtaining a 100 zero with most any scopes and a 20 MOA rail. I never have. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 16:10
You will need no more than medium tactical style rings on any Pic rail, canted or not. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem700P308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 16:20

cheaptrick,

You are correct.  This is not a dedicated 1,000 yard gun by any stretch of the imagination.  I am a veteran shooter, but I am a newbie when it comes to anything long range.

I can shoot 300 yards at my local range where I shoot most.  I can get 500 at another range I have access to.  I doubt I'll ever shoot 1,000 but hate to limit myself in the long run.

The Leupold guy said that I would need the high rings and that there was no way I could clear a 700P barrel with the 50mm objective with the medium rings.  This of course is contradictory to what you said.  I'm not saying I believe him, I'm just saying it is what he said.

I will probably be running Butler Creek style caps if that matters.

Again, I am here to learn not argue, so please don't take my continued questions as the latter.

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 16:29
Originally posted by Rem700P308 Rem700P308 wrote:

The Leupold guy said that I would need the high rings and that there was no way I could clear a 700P barrel with the 50mm objective with the medium rings.  This of course is contradictory to what you said.  I'm not saying I believe him, I'm just saying it is what he said.

I will probably be running Butler Creek style caps if that matters.

Again, I am here to learn not argue, so please don't take my continued questions as the latter.

Thanks!

He said medium rings won't clear the barrel with a 50mm objective and a 20 MOA rail?? 
I run a 20 MOA rail, Badger LOW rings on a 42mm objective and BC caps and I have room to spare. 

I respectfully submit to you the Gent @ Leupold is mistaken.     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 16:38
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem700P308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 16:54
That's why I'm here...to get the facts. Appreciate the info. Keep it coming.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 17:01
Picatinny rails look cool and allow for more precise fore and aft scope positioning, but unless you are running a detachable magazine, they do obstruct the loading/ejection port and the price for quality bases and rings can be pricey. Don't get me wrong, I like them. 

Another option would be to pop $40 for a set of Talley LW's and call it a day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 17:02
Originally posted by Rem700P308 Rem700P308 wrote:

That's why I'm here...to get the facts. Appreciate the info. Keep it coming.

Who word are you gonna take?!?! A tech at Leupold or a dude on the internet? Wink 
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 17:03
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Where's the bolt?????

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 17:05
All kidding aside, once I went with Talley Lightweights, I really don't miss the Pic rails. 

IF...I had a dedicated long range rifle, I might opt to go back to Pic rails to steal some MOA, but not until then.    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 17:09
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Where's the bolt?????

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem700P308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 17:14
I am considering dropping it in a Magpul 700 Hunter stock so I can use their PMAG AICS compatible mags.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 17:23
I like DM's. I converted my .223 SPS Tactical and HS stock with a PT&G unit because I was having feeding issues and I couldn't be happier. 100% perfect with AI mags.   
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 18:28
Just a comment. There are alot of scopes that are better than an mk4 for the money u spend. An SWFA 3-15x would be an excellet choice and save u some money. I wouldnt be set on leupold rings and bases either. Lots of other excellent options out there

I like leupold and have several of them. But the mk4 line is a rip off IMO vs the competition.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 18:45
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I like leupold and have several of them. But the mk4 line is a rip off IMO vs the competition.

No wonder this forum gets ripped for Leupold hatin......sheeesh. Big Grin 
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 18:47
Where's JGR?????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic