OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Terra 3-9x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Terra 3-9x42
    Posted: August/18/2014 at 20:57
I need to get a new scope for a rifle that I have had sitting in the safe for a couple of years.  I know that most of the members on this forum are not that impressed with the Zeiss Terra line of scopes, but I am wondering if the fact that they come with a $50 instant rebate till the end of this month makes them anymore impressive?  In other words, if I take SWFA up on their offer to match any price, would a price of $308 for a Terra 3-9x42 Z-plex be a worthwhile deal or would my money be better spent on another brand of scope?  I already have a Conquest 3-9 on another rifle that I have been very impressed with, but since the Conquest line has been discontinued, how much quality will I loose when comparing the new Terra line to the previous Conquest line (i.e Terra 3-9x42 and Conquest 3-9x40)?  Thanks for any comments back.

Edited by bbush - August/19/2014 at 06:14
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2014 at 07:38
I'd suggest that you browse through the Sample List. There may be some better stuff there for comparable prices. Perhaps a Bushnell Elite or Sightron Big Sky. I'd keep looking.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2014 at 07:50
Crap is crap, doesn't matter how much it costs or whether or not you put a hat on it, you still have a pike of crap.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2014 at 08:06
+1.  As we used to say in the 10th Mountain, "what's a hundred pounds of lightweight sh!t?"  Answer: "a hundred pounds of sh!t!"  Bought my last two scopes from the sample list.  If you're going that 3-9 route, I'd do this one before a Zeiss Terra:

iflescopes

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Rifle Scope DEMO-B

Product Grading Information

DEMO A: Like New In Box
DEMO B: Shows Very Slight Wear From Use
DEMO C: Shows Obvious Signs of Use
  $499.95

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Rifle Scope DEMO-B

Stock # - SPL20882
Add to Wishlist
< name="ctl00$wpm$ShowProduct$ctl10$Quantity" value="1" maxlength="5" size="2" id="ctl00_wpm_ShowProduct_ctl10_Quantity" style="width:30px;" ="text">
MSRP: $1075.00
Manufacture part#: SS39X42
Reticle: FFP Mil Dot
Tube Diameter: 30mm
Finish: Matte
0.1 MRAD finger adjustable windage and elevation
DEMO-B

Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2014 at 22:15
Looks like the general consensus is that the Terra line is a piece of crap.  I am trying to figure out why Zeiss would stoop this low and put their name on a product like this.
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2014 at 17:46
Well, it certainly ain't Scottish!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic