OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best scope for an AR-15?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best scope for an AR-15?
    Posted: February/23/2008 at 08:59
All,
I would like some input on what the best scope and mounting system would be for an AR-15.  This rifle has a non-removeable carry handle, so it would have to be a carry handle mount.  I am not sure how well that would work though, it seems like that would put the scope in an awkwardly high mount...
I will be using this rifle for longer shots (hopefully), and plan on taking it on a prairie dog hunt this summer as an 'extra' gun.
As always, any and all input is appreciated!
Thanks,
Sal

Breath, Relax, Aim, Stop, Squeeze...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 09:13
My friend, it grieves me to say this, but my advise would be to switch the carry handle upper for an A3 upper.
So much easier to mount a scope on versus the A2's. Tons more options.

Have never seen, nor used a carry handle mounted scope that I liked.

All the best and good luck to you!  
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 09:31
at the least you will need a cheek riser, a Delta type, or screw on saddle, and the size of the scope will need to be minimal is a larger one hangs out over both ends of the handle. Since the mounting assemble only uses one screw the rigidity in the mount will never be there to give the degree of accuracy necessary in dog hunting.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:01

Swap upper receivers for an A3.  Only practical solution.  Not hard or terribly expensive, either.
Chem-man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:51
I am glad I posted this question,  I was getting ready to do something (carry handle mount) that wasn't going to work very well...

I will check into swapping for an A3 upper, then  I will just have to convince my wife that this is "not really like buying another gun". 

That could be a good topic for another forum- "How to convince wives that you need more guns and scopes".  Or maybe "Why new guns/scopes are more practical than new furniture".  I tried the old 'buy one and tell her it's for her' trick...don't even go there for an anniversary present.

Thanks!
Breath, Relax, Aim, Stop, Squeeze...
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 11:13
 Tell her you bought it for YOUR anniversary present, to save her the trouble of having to shop for your present.  Pretty sweet of you, I'd say...       Naughty
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 11:38
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=279

You can send just the upper and ship any way you like since the lower reciever is the firearm. Have Rock River install your other parts on one of the upper recievers of you choice. or  here is another guy who is competent http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 11:40
Tell her you need to have your rifle  Bow REPAIRED - you are shipping it to the Repair Facility.

I can see plainly that I must have been married longer than most of you youngsters.

P.S.  do not forget to include the bolt assembly - the WHOLE UPPER WITH BOLT. Keep the Lower assembly at home you are shipping only  "METAL MACHINE PARTS"   say nothing of what the parts go to when you ship them as the ignorant have a way of creating laws that do not exist to regulate the behavior of others.  What that means is if you walk into UPS and say I want to ship a rifle upper to X they will tell you the only way you can ship a firearm is overnight which cost a small fortune if they allow you to do it at all. There is nothing in the law that says you can not send parts through the mail or UPS etc so long as they are not inherently hazardous ( NO Ammo).

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/23/2008 at 11:53

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 13:03

I just noticed that the Rock River link posted by Urimaginaryfriend refers to their Flattops as A4s instead of A3s as Cheaptrick and I both noted in this thread. Are we both wrong about the current designation of what constitutes a Flattop receiver?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 13:21
From where else:
A3 - in commercial circles has very little to do with what the military refers to as the M16A3, which is nothing more than a fully automatic M16A2, usually seen in use by the SeeBees. Commercially, however, it refers to the same thing as A4.

A4 - is a forged flattop receiver with a 1913 rail section on top, rather than a carry handle. It too has the forward assist and case deflector, though there are a couple of groups looking at offering slickside A4 uppers. Any forward assist can, as usual, be installed, however, they are almost uniformly provided with small button forward assists unless changed by the end user.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=364533

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 13:30
 I've had mine for 9 years now, but I could've sworn my Bushmaster flattop was referred to as an A3 when I bought it. I may be mistaken, though.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 13:45
Commercially the A3 is the same as the A4. Colt's Law Enforcement shows the A3 as flat top, so I believe you are correct.
Also, flat top is by far the best way to go for optics. I don't like chicken necking to look through anything, let alone a scope.

Edited by tahqua - February/23/2008 at 13:47
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 15:16
I should have used the correct term "flat top" instead of A3.
My bad....Shoot%20Self
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 16:17
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I should have used the correct term "flat top" instead of A3.
My bad....Shoot%20Self

No, you were right, and I was too!
 ( I think,.... sort of...)      Stare

( Doug's last post works for me!)

Edited by RONK - February/23/2008 at 16:18
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 22:47
I have one of the first AR-15's, a Colt sp1, before the A2 with the improved adjustable sights came out. Living in California, I'm stuck with my pre-ban rifle but that's OK, it makes a great coyote rifle!! If I had a choice, the A3 or M4 is mucho versatile and the way to go!! My Colt is about 25 years old and I hope some day to pick up an updated carbine model, darn Cali gun laws!! Roll%20Eyes

It's true, with the molded handle your limited to your choices.

Currently I have two scopes for mine and they work great.  Sharp%20Shooter

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=139&back_row=4&categoryID=3

http://www.aimpoint.com/o.o.i.s?id=47&prev_id=47&product_id=19

The Aimpoint needs the following mount:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6518-507-arms-16a-aimpoint-m16-aa2-comp-mount.aspx

or

http://www.swfa.com/pc-2513-510-aimpoint-works-568059-10174-10566.aspx

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 22:50
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Tell her you bought it for YOUR anniversary present, to save her the trouble of having to shop for your present.  Pretty sweet of you, I'd say...       Naughty

You dog!!  Big%20Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 22:52
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Tell her you need to have your rifle  Bow REPAIRED - you are shipping it to the Repair Facility.

I can see plainly that I must have been married longer than most of you youngsters.

Cheers
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 23:19
I've been married a long time and I'm a liar. I sneak new guns in. When I have to buy another safe the gig is up, though.
What's so nice about an M4 is that it can be hidden under a long coat Wink
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 23:29
PS - we used to shoot quarters at 75 yards with our AR's and older AIMPOINT MARK III's with 4x adapters, before the improvement of optics and purchasing the COMPM2. Though the flat top is the way to go, you can still do the job with a scope on a carry handle upper receiver.  Wink

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 23:33
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I've been married a long time and I'm a liar. I sneak new guns in. When I have to buy another safe the gig is up, though.
What's so nice about an M4 is that it can be hidden under a long coat Wink

I love it, I think we all went to the same school!!!!  Whistling

Good Night!!

Evil%20Black%20Rifle

Edited by mike650 - February/23/2008 at 23:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic