OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

eye relief

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eye relief
    Posted: February/22/2008 at 21:12
What is the minimum eye relief you guys have on your hard kickers?  I mounted a millet buck silver 3x9x40 on my 338 win mag.  Not my scope, but since I have no scope, thought I would borrow one.  Don't know the eye relief of this scope, but SWFA site says 3.5.  Not sure if this is the minimum, but that is the only number listed.  Needless to say, I will probably have a bruised eyebrow tomorrow.  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 21:14
4" like the zeiss conquest will give you, is a very nice figure although a buddy of mine had a leupold varixII 3x9 on his m700 .338 and never had a problem, but he was an ox too
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 21:15
The first time I shot it hit me pretty hard.  I thought I might have been too close, but the next time after being as far away as I could, but still seeing the whole sight picture,  I still got hit.  Should have stopped after the first time.  
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 21:17
Are you saying that I am not an ox, pyro?  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 21:22
no im just saying he was damn lucky he didnt get drilled, course i shot that rifle once too and it didnt bite me either so maybe that scope had decent eye relief, what grain bullet were you shooting 225gr?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 21:51
250 grain and 72 grains of RL19.  
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 21:59
after you got hit the 2nd time....... I was thinking of a different animal Loco
all in fun!
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 07:25
thats a pretty beefy load with the 250gr so im not surprised it kicked pretty good, i would say maybe play with the placement of the scope in the rings maybe move it towards the muzzle if can and see if that helps, if it doesnt you know you will have to get a scope with more than 3.5" of eye relief
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 09:21
no scope really has optimal eye relief for a heavy, thats why most of the pictures you see of them have the scopes mounted as far forward in the mounts as possible. Then the shooter can bring the head forward, until the safe distance runs out (sometimes requires some trial and error). some scopes certainly work better than others, low range variables in the higher cost bracket.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:02
Have a 3200, 3x9 on a Savage 116 in 338.  Specs says 3.3" of eye relief and have never been bitten yet.  Could be a function of how I hold the rifle but works for me.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:04
what do you have on your .375 rum dogger?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:05
                                 Good on the low range variables!  Been looking over the specs on a bunch of them lately,11 of them to be exact ,and none were under 3.5" on the low end. Most were in the 3.75" range. On the high end none were under 4" with 4 of them ranging from 4.75" to 5.3".  I decided to get a VXlll 1.75-6x32(hopefully from SWFA,waiting for a price match confirmation) with an eye relief range of 3.7"-4.7".  Didn't really need a low range variable due to a recoil problem,just didn't need the high magnification and weight of my Vari-X lll 3.5-10x40AO at 1 1/4 lbs any more!

til later
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:07
Iron sights my friend on the RUM.  It is essentially a DGR so if anything might change to peep sights.
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:10

well that doesnt help, i dont blame you though

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 11:26
i've only been bit by a scope once, and that was because i was holding the gun wrong.  I would think that 3.5" to 4" should be fine for a 338.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 12:11
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

What is the minimum eye relief you guys have on your hard kickers?  I mounted a millet buck silver 3x9x40 on my 338 win mag.  Not my scope, but since I have no scope, thought I would borrow one.  Don't know the eye relief of this scope, but SWFA site says 3.5.  Not sure if this is the minimum, but that is the only number listed.  Needless to say, I will probably have a bruised eyebrow tomorrow.  
...........................................For now, I have my 3x9 Elite 4200 with its 3.3" of eye relief sitting on my 375 Ruger! Not been whacked yet!..............Shooting style at the bench is very important. Some are stock crawlers and need more eye relief. Others like me, use a free hand to put downward pressure on the rifle either by pulling the fore-end of the stock down or applying pressure from atop the barrel. That eliminates a some percentage of backward jump and of course is easier on the shoulder!..............It`s all in the technique!!.............Or another alternative? Get a (pu**y) sled, oooops;....a lead sled!! Coffee Coffee time!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 12:14
if you apply down pressure your accuracy will suffer
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 12:22
When I shoot off the bench the forearm is left free floating on a padded rest.  My left hand rests just below the butt at my shoulder.  Have never hand an issue with eye relief 
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 12:26
i place my off hand under the forearm in case the rifle bucks funny, would hate to see the front half of the rifle eat the bench top.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 12:28
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

if you apply down pressure your accuracy will suffer
.............................................WANNA BET!!!!!?????????? NOT MINE!..... Technique and practice man!!!!Big%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20GrinBig%20Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic