OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FXIII Luey ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FXIII Luey ?
    Posted: February/22/2008 at 20:57
I am looking at getting a Leuy fixed 6 power scope. The FXIII 6X42.

I kinda liked the long range reticle that had somewhat of a BDC in it. They also make it with Duplex and heavy duplex and wide duplex I think. Can you give me some Pro's and Con's of each. And does anyone have experince with this scope and have an opinion?

I am putting it on a Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA 7mm rem mag for Elk and Mule Deer in the west. If that helps.

Thanks guys.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 21:01
I am not sure I would limit myself to a fixed 6 out there.  It is fine out in the open.  Could be a problem in the woods for target aquisition.  Just a thought.  I would look at a variable if it was me.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 21:01
my dad hunted with an old m8-6x36mm on his 30-06 for years in wyoming the only time it was a burden was when you were walking in the trees, i myself prefer a variable for hunting out west as i would just as soon not have to take another gun with open sights for pushing timber with
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 09:28
the 6x fixed leos are good scopes, and their newer one fx3 is even better. the reticles are personal though and depends on the shooter's preference. 6x has never been a problem in the timbered areas of the west I have used them, but again each shooter is different. Since the six is not high in the magnification I would get the thinner reticle for "finer" long range shooting.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:13
 Have you thought about say one of the IOR 6x or other Euro scopes and a 4a reticle?   They are normally brighter and have a better field of view. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:21
an elk is a big critter even at 500yds and you have a 500yd rifle, i would tell you to buy at least a 3x9 for long shots thats just me, im sure 6x wont be that much of a difference but i prefer to have things as close and as big looking as i can
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:37
There is one fixed 6x42 scope that I REALLY like that is the IOR tactical 6x42 with it's MP8 reticle and short covered tactical knobs it is the true pick of the litter.  The MP8 reticlec works perfectly for known hold over marks at known distances and combined with a good rangfinder should be far better as much as I hate to say it because I am one of the few die  hard leupold fans here.  I do think that if I was going to scope that rifle I would also have to give strong consideration to the  Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 with its tritium / fiber optic illuminated reticle - it might be the best choice available.  The only down side of the IOR is the scope is a blued steel tube and while very strong costruction it needs to be wiped down and taken care of where aluminum body scopes dont require the same care.  I do think that the fixed power combined with the MP8 reticle allowing you to zero the  x and use the mil marks below as known hold over points far outweighs the rest of the competition as far as the fixed 6x scopes go.
604230 IOR%206x42%20Tactical%2030mm%20Rifle%20Scope%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
  • Free 2.5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
SWFA: $534.95
More%20Info... Buy%20Now

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/23/2008 at 10:42

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 11:47
I have the older 6x42 and it is one of my favorite scopes. I love the purity of a top quality fixed power.
I think 6x will give you all the magnification you need for reasonable shots on big game. Like already said, reticle choice is a personal preference. Where I hunt in heavily forested areas a heavy plex is an advantage because the cross hairs are easy to see in low light. The standard are better for long range precision, though. The B&C option looks very simple to use and I think I would consider that if I were buying another Leo.
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 17:41
Thanks guys.  My hot button on this scope was the 4.5 eye relief and I heard it was very easy to see through.  Very easy to aquire a good picture.  I think that is due to the fixed power are simpler in design?  All my scopes are zeiss conquest but leuy has me going on this one.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 10:43
The FXIII 6X42 is a great scope.  I've used mine for a couple of years, and have shot hogs at 25 yds with no problem.  I haven't shot anything past 200 yds with it.  You'll find it's brighter than a 50mm variable, a lot lighter, and a pleasure to use.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
dimecovers3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimecovers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 11:03
I have heard nothing but great reviews on this scope.  I do seem to remember a lot of guys wanted Leupy to extend the tube length some to make it easier to mount on long actions which you have. I could be remembering this wrong or maybe they have already corrected this issue, but I would verify monting issues and getting it mounted close enough to take advantage of the generous eye relief quickly.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 11:24
Mine's on a short action rifle, but I think the spacing is about the same as most 3-9 variables.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 15:42
                            According to Leupolds web the tube length(max ring spacing)is 5.4" on the 6x42 VXlll. On my long action S&W(HOWA) it would fit with vertical split rings but would be damn close with horizontal split rings,this is using nonextended bases.Hope this helps.

til later
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 22:01
I had a gift card to Bass Pro and could get them to order me the Luey FXIII that I wanted, so I get the Conquest 3-9X40. I really like my other Conquest so I am sure it will be great. Now on to Mounts.

I have some 1 inch Warne maxima (202M) Scope Mounts for my conquest 3-9X40 for my Sub-Moa. They say they are suggested for 42 to 52 scopes. Would you try to get the smaller / lower version of these or use the generous lift they offer.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 06:53
                          I would go with which ever setup lets you keep a proper cheek weld to the stock. If you go to high,such as see thru rings, you can actually have to lift your face off the stock to see through the scope. Some people find that with  the lowest possible setup,they have to press their face hard into the stock to get a proper sight picture. Hope you get my point on this!

til later
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 06:57
300S&W,

thanks, I may need to look at both.  The ones I have are considered "high", and the Mediums will probably be fine.   Bought these a while ago and was thinking much bigger scope at the time.  thanks for the thoughts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic