OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What's the poop with Vortex Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the poop with Vortex Scopes
    Posted: February/22/2008 at 11:29
Has anybody seen these........ how do they compare?
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:20
Koshkin reviewed one not too long ago.  If memory serves, I believe he said the optics were similar to the Elite 4200 quality level, but he felt that the Elite was a better value.  I would PM him for more info.  These scopes haven't been out very long, so you're not likely to find many user testimonials on them.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:22
i think mark was playing with one as well
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 11:57
I think I will give a 4-12X40 Diamondback a try.......... Hopefully they're in stock!  I like the $189.95 price.
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 11:58
yeah i think mark is playing with one, i believe duce is the owner of the scope
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 12:03
Considering what I've seen through a pair of Razor 8x42 binos, I was surprised to see where they were on the Scope Scale. The optical quality obviously didn't make up for some other issues. The binoculars are great optically and loaded with some mechanical features that are user friendly. I'm sure there is more to come from Vortex.

10 - Swarovski Z6, Zeiss Victory

9 - Kahles C - CL & CSX, Schmidt & Bender

8 - Kahles KX, U.S. Optics, Swarovski PH & American, X.O.T.I.C.,  Zeiss Classic

7 - Bushnell Elite 6500, Leupold VX-7, Nightforce, IOR Valdada

6 - Bushnell Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch & Monarch X, Zeiss Conquest

5 - Leupold Mark 4 VX III & VX-L, Nikon Monarch Gold & Titanium, Sightron SIII

4 - Burris Black Diamond Signature Select XTR & Euro Diamond, Meopta, Pentax Lightseeker, Super Sniper, Trijicon Accupoint, Weaver Grand Slam

3 - Bushnell Elite 3200, Leatherwood, Leupold VX-II, Millet, Nikon Buckmaster, Sightron SI & SII, Simmons Aetec, Vortex

2 -  Burris Fullfield II & Timberline, Leupold Rifleman & VX-I, Mueller, Nikon ProStaff, Simmons, Swift

1 - Barska, BSA, Tasco

0 - ATN, Leapers, NcStar

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 15:08
Vortex Viper scopes are, I think, identical to the previous generation Nikon Monarch scopes (the ones with 3x erector).  The cosmetics are a little different, but the glass looks the same.  They are also made in the same factory in the Phillipines.  Nice scopes all in all.

I have not really looked at lower end Vortex scopes.

Viper is Vortex' highest end scope.  However, comparatively speaking, it is not nearly as high end as Vortex Razor binoculars.

In the scale above, Vortex different product lines are not split up, hence the lower ranking.

ILya
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 15:51
I thought that the Vortex Viper should have been in the same category as the Nikon Monarch based upon Koshkin's quickie evaluation of them a few months ago. Although, I am not in the market for a new scope right at this minute, I wouldn't be hesitant about trying a Viper--even though it's new to the marketplace. ( But I have been known to be happy with OLD scopes, too! HA!) Wink          --Ed
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 08:58
This comment concerns me a lot, "They are also made in the same factory in the Phillipines".

Does that mean the Monarch are made in the Phillipines?  I thought they were made in Japan?  Overall, I'm not a fan of stuff made in the Phillipines!

Edited by Tip69 - February/24/2008 at 08:59
take em!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 09:34
How about pineapples!!    Bucky
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 10:30
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Does that mean the Monarch are made in the Phillipines?  I thought they were made in Japan?  Overall, I'm not a fan of stuff made in the Phillipines!

Yes, the Nikon Monarch is now made in the Phillipines.  They have been made in various places in the past.  My 6.5-20X44 Monarch was made in Thailand.  Origin of manufacture is not always a good indication of quality, because regardless of where an optic is made, it is made to a certain spec dictated by the customer -- the company whose brand is on the optic.

Speaking of Vortex, their products are made in a variety of places.  Their low end binos are made in China.  Their riflescopes are evidently made in the Phillipines.  Their high end binos like the Razor, Stokes series, and Viper are made in Japan.  Therefore, their riflescopes don't share the same glass and coatings as their high end binos.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 10:47
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

This comment concerns me a lot, "They are also made in the same factory in the Phillipines".

Both my 2-7 and 3-9 Monarchs are made in the Philippines. They have very good glass and are a top notch scope for the money. I also like the fact that they are physically proportioned to similar Leo scopes, some of the best looking on the market.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 10:48
all of my nikons are philippino as well, im sure doug will concure with me when i say that even if they are made there the monarch is almost a dead heat with the 4200 elite
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 17:07
ok...... I guess I'm not so concerned about made in Phili then.
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic