OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver or Nikon rimfire optics?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver or Nikon rimfire optics?
    Posted: February/22/2008 at 10:31

I am planning on using a fixed 4 power scope on my 22 autoloader and have to decide between a Nikon Prostaff a the Weaver rimfire scopes. What say you? Thanks…

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 11:21
What gun do you have? They both offer good value and pretty good optics. We had a discussion going on this a short while back and optically it came out a toss up. The size is about the biggest difference.
On a 10/22 carbine I like the Weaver. It is an inch shorter and a 1/4 lb lighter than the Nikon.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 13:09
had both, while I like Nikon scopes in general, the prostaff isn't great to my eyes (or my son's)
think the Weaver rimfire classic line is good stuff, great, clear glass
we have the 2-7 and 3-9x33

in fact, just earlier this morning I was checking out the Weaver 3-9x33
I had taken it off my CZ 452 to test a gun with a few months ago and was thinking of putting it on a bolt action 223, I was just comparing my Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 and the Swaroski 3-10 I got in yesterday off the samplelist...  I was looking down my street at a street sign 250 yards away (verified with lazer RF) and could easily read the small letters with all 3 scopes, nice and clear
there's a house at the end of the street where our street T bones into and it's 294 yards.
with all 3 scopes I would have no problem putting a bullet in the center of one of the house number signs on their porch, usually those are about 4" high

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 05:34

Both are good I've had both and probably would give the edge to Nikon with my eyes.....

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
ssf467 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssf467 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 23:18
Weaver
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 06:04
WEAVER.          Oh%20Yea%20Baby
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 20:12
I have decided to scope my beloved little Marlin .22 Mod. 60 and saw this thread.
(I have about shot the barrel out of the damn thing using open sights. Might be a little late to scope it now.)  Bandito 

I was considering this unit and the fixed 4x that GaryO was inquiring about.

Any thoughts on the 2.5-7x versus the fixed 4x for just a plinking set up?
Thanks in advance!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 20:38

I currently am using a B&L 4x Balfor, 2-7 Nikon Monarch and a 3.5-10 Leupold on .22's. My favorite is my Ruger auto with the 4x. It is all the scope I need for head shots on anything the size of squirrels out to fifty yards.

What I do like about the Weaver you mention, and my Monarch, is if you want to be very precise for head shots on small targets, the 7x really helps. I feed birds out of multiple set ups including a black oiler feeder for Cardinals and nuthatches. Mice come in and feed on the ground droppings. At 10 paces that is fun shooting!

Edited by tahqua - March/08/2008 at 05:32
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 21:15
I like the Weaver 4x rimfire.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2008 at 11:07
Thanks for the help, Gents.

Going to go with the silver (matches my stainless barrel/action) 4x Nikon Prostaff on The Sample List.
It's $89 and includes silver rimfire rings to boot. Sounds like a good deal to me!!  Yippee
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2008 at 11:18
That is a very good deal and will compliment that plinker perfectly. Now you can buy some more bricks of .22 and have some fun.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2008 at 19:27
Silver 4x Prostaff w rings inbound!!

Thanks CF II @ SWFA!!!! Thunbs%20Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2008 at 18:49
Got the Prostaff mounted on my old Marlin.
Not a bad scope at all.

Just what that .22 needed to slay some more "terrorist" squirrels that raid The Wardens bird feeders.....Devil  
Thanks for the good intel guys!!
And thanks again to SWFA for a killer deal and terrific service.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic