OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

RONK needs handgun advice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 17:04
thats correct the prices i gave you were for cci blazer fmj
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 17:10
I've been paying about $9 for a box of 9mm S&B fmj.  Not sure about grains.  Had to pay more for the defence ammo of course!  Just something to consider.
take em!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 18:21

Yeah, it would be kind of stupid to limit my budget on the gun, which I really need to do, and then get one in a chambering that would cost me twice as much to feed! I imagine that reloading most of my ammo will close the gap, but I'd better check out component prices to be sure.  I was thinking once-fired .45 or 9mm brass should be pretty easy to find, not sure about 10mm...or should I stick with new brass with these guns?

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 18:33
Ron,
I was able to find a comparison pic I keep around. You mentioned the 9mm might not be enough. I don't know if you are familiar with Dr. Martin Fackler or the FBI test protocols, I believe them to be a good baseline for comparison. So here you are, jello tests....

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2008 at 18:40
 Yeah, Doug, I happened across that photo yesterday on some other site, and it seems that I've grossly underestimated the 9x19 cartridge. I am reconsidering it for all it's advantages.  I appreciate it's abilities much more now than I did a few days ago!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 20:40

UPDATE! I went to a local retail store, (Gander Mountain), thinking it would be the best place for me to compare a few different models within a reasonable driving distance. I wasn't able to fire any of them, of course, but was allowed to handle them fairly extensively. etc.

They didn't have any H&Ks but did have M&Ps, several XDs, and most of the Glocks, which are the ones in which I was most interested.
 I didn't really plan on buying from them initially, but was very impressed with the guy at the counter who, to my surprise, took the time to answer my questions, and didn't try to bluff or B.S. his way through a question. If he didn't know answer, he told me he didn't know, and then proceeded to find out the answer for me.
 That REALLY impressed me, compared to most of my gunshop experiences. No sales pressure either.
 In summary, I once again fell in love with the Springfield XD.
 To my hand, there was no comparison to any of the Glocks. They simply did not feel as good to hold. The M&P was very nice, too, but the XD was the hands-down winner.
 I went ahead and ordered the black XD, 5-inch in 9mm. I'll get the promotional goody package with it.
 I know I probably paid a little more than I might have somewhere else, but I really don't care! I really felt like I was  treated as a customer should be, and it feels GOOD!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 20:48
Congrats on the new purchase.  I think you are really going to like the SD.  Plus in 9mm, the ammo is cheap.  A trigger job is always nice on a factory gun, but the XD shouldn't be too bad.  Let us know how it shoots.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 21:00
Cool Ron, that gun will serve you well.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 22:25
Congrats!  I'm sure you'll have years of service and fun from your new XD.
take em!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 02:57

BUT I WANTED YOU TO GET A GLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 05:48
Congratulations, Ron. It's good to hear of gun shop visits like yours.
CT, you are a funny guy................

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 12:52

RONK, best of luck with your weaponry and please excuse my sophomoric attempt at humor earlier.  

Theres a lot to be said about "feel" when it comes to pistols. You can't shoot well if you aren't comfortable with the gun.

Have you considered a holster yet?  
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 13:05
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Have you considered a holster yet?  

Blackhawk serpa all the way
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 13:39
Hey tool, you SURE you didn't mean Comp-Tac??
Wink
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 13:41
Alessi CQC
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 14:03
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Hey tool, you SURE you didn't mean Comp-Tac??
Wink

Na, I really like the blackhawk holsters, they are super fast ans I love all the adjustments that can be done to them.  Plus they come with a paddle and a belt attachment and they are in the  $30 to $40 price range depending on what one you get.

The comp tac looks a lot like bladetech holsters, I have tried those and did not like them as well as the blackhawk. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 14:15

Your holster have a lock on it??

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 14:32
I have both actually level 2 and 1 retention, for my left and right side.  I like the locked one when I am out hiking and riding my wheeler.   In advanced classes I take they are good to cause you don't have to worry about your pistol falling out when you are crawling around and rolling in the dirt.  Down side is they are a bit slower coming out of the holder until you get at lot a presentations practiced.  But they are easy to learn and pretty natural to push the button.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 14:42
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I have both actually level 2 and 1 retention, for my left and right side.  I like the locked one when I am out hiking and riding my wheeler.   In advanced classes I take they are good to cause you don't have to worry about your pistol falling out when you are crawling around and rolling in the dirt.  Down side is they are a bit slower coming out of the holder until you get at lot a presentations practiced.  But they are easy to learn and pretty natural to push the button.

Gotcha! 

After owning several different holsters, Comp-Tac is my all time favorite for daily carry, drills or a gun class (no low crawls).Wink

It's lightening fast on the draw, but it also has 2 retention screws to make it snugger, if you wish.
I have had this holster for daily carry for close to 3 years and have never adjusted the tension screws. It was perfect out of the box.  

TOTAL 100% satisfied Comp-Tac paddle user here.    
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 15:20
I may have to check one out.  I am sure someone at Front Sight uses them, I will have to see if I can get some hands on with one of them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic