OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

RONK needs handgun advice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 12:31
XDs, Glocks and M&Ps will all mount the standard light/lasers on the rail, they pop right on and off.  Accuracy on the 3 will be about 4 inches at 25 yards.  I believe that is the guarantee, maybe better if you are lucky.  Realistically you should not need or expect better than hand span sized groups with a production pistol.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 13:06
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

XDs, Glocks and M&Ps will all mount the standard light/lasers on the rail, they pop right on and off.  Accuracy on the 3 will be about 4 inches at 25 yards.  I believe that is the guarantee, maybe better if you are lucky.  Realistically you should not need or expect better than hand span sized groups with a production pistol.

Yeah, that's about what I was thinking to expect for accuracy, although I'd still hope to get a good one that might do a little better!
 Anybody know if the  XD, Glock and Mp rails are the same geometry/dimensions  as a Picatinny scope base? Not that it REALLY matters, but I am curious.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 13:10
I use my light on my glocks and on the XDs when I had them and it also fits the picatinny rail on my AR with no problems at all.  If that is what you was asking.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 13:45

Yes, that is what I wanted to know. I thought it might be so, but wasn't sure.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 14:04
two really good buys in 19ll's types are the new taurus and kimber pro tenll, in 45 ACP, If you, as posted, are going to reload the mod.38 glock GAP is one of the best shooting/carrying guns to come along.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 15:19
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

For the Glock I would go with a Glock 21SF in .45 or a Glock 20SF in 10mm. 

What does the SF suffix stand for?  Glock's website doesn't mention those models, I assume they are a newer variant that did not make the Glock website yet?

Same thing with the model 38 that Dale Clifford mentioned.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 15:39
small frame -- the mod 38 is on a 40 cal frame.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 15:43
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 16:02
Ron, do have a place close to you that will rent you handguns?

We have an indoor range down the road from me that offers this and while sort of expensive, it's nice to be able to select 4 or 5 handguns your interested in, buy some ammo, then take them out to shoot before you purchase.

Good luck!

ssf467 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssf467 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 17:43
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 18:04
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Ron, do have a place close to you that will rent you handguns?

We have an indoor range down the road from me that offers this and while sort of expensive, it's nice to be able to select 4 or 5 handguns your interested in, buy some ammo, then take them out to shoot before you purchase.

Good luck!

I really don't know of any place around here that does this, all are under "club" type ownership but you're right Mark, it would be a big advantage to be able to handle and shoot a bunch of them first.
 At least I'm not totally in the dark, having had some background with a fairly wide variety of handguns in the past.  I'm able to at least relate to what everybody's saying based on that.
 Maybe I should just buy about a dozen of them and return the eleven I like the least!
 I really appreciate all the great advice, Fellas.

It's kind of nice to be receiving advice instead of giving it all the time, too!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 18:07
Originally posted by ssf467 ssf467 wrote:

Yeah, I know that's never bad advice, but I really want something different this time around.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 17:04
Man... there is a ton of good info on this thread!  Regarding the SIG's and the SS, my friend said his cousin really liked the gun, he didn't mention that he didn't have a choice.   Cheap's idea of going to a range is a great idea, we have a place here called "The Bullet Hole" and they do that.  Actually, I don't think its expensive either.  My big handed buddy likes the Taurus as well, but I'm not sure about fit & finish. 

I recently bought a Ruger P95DC in 9mm.  It will hold 15 shells in the mag and I really wish it didn't hold that many as I have a smallish hand and the grip is a little big for me.  It's not in your price range as it only cost me about $300.  It shoots just fine.  I picked up a "Beamshot" laser at an auction (bought a box of crap for $5 and it was lying in there), but I haven't shot it since I got it mounted, but it seems to be right where the iron sights are pointing.  One thing I noticed with the laser is it won't fit into my holster any more.  So that's something the Crimson Trace grips would have been nice for........ although at a much greater cost!

What, if any, do you have it narrowed down to?
take em!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 19:49

As I half-expected it to, all the great advice I'm getting here is making it HARDER, not easier to make up my mind!  I'm trying not to lean any particular direction quite yet.  I think I need to stew over it for a couple more days.
Thanks for your thoughts on the Ruger, Tip69,  I would certainly have no problem going way BELOW budget if I really like something that's cheaper.  I'll look into the Ruger!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 20:00
my wifes uncle and his son own every ruger semi auto in the p series and they like all of them
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 20:02
Hell Ron, just get a Glock and end this maddening search.....Trust%20Me
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 20:04
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

my wifes uncle and his son own every ruger semi auto in the p series and they like all of them

Hmmm, I've got cousins, five brothers, who are all big into them too.  Maybe it's time to do more research!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 20:06
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Hell Ron, just get a Glock and end this maddening search.....Trust%20Me

But I'm ENJOYING my slow descent into madness, Mark!         Break%20Dance
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 20:06
Not to dog on your Ruger Tip, but I gotta post my experience on them.  My very first auto was a Ruger P89 and it had the worst trigger of any handgun I have ever owned.  The first trigger pull was so so long and the reset was horrible and long as well with a ton of slack after the reset.  Maybe they have fixed them some since then, but that is typical of a DA/SA.  Also the Rugers have the decocker which becomes a pain when doing chamber checks and it is one more step you always have to remember when you finish shooting.  On the Ruger you have to decock to drop the hammer and the set it back before you reholster it.  If you forget to set it back then when you go to draw your gun and pull the trigger nothing happens.  In a defensive type shooting this may prove disastrous.  It really all comes down to training, but I say why handicap your self with one, it is just one more thing to go wrong.  With a Glock, XD or M&P all you have to do is worry about pulling the trigger and they go boom.  The Berretta and some Smiths are the same way.  I think some Taurus' are that way as well. 

Ron you could always get a High Point, they only cost like $115 LOL

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 20:10
i really liked the p95 myself but i dont know sh*t about pistols, the xd would be my choice on a budget an h&k is what i would splurge on
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic