OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS10x optics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Usmc_S/S91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS10x optics
    Posted: February/20/2008 at 22:45
I hear great things about this scope being a great buy for the price, but with the rifle I am building being my first I wanna be positive on my purchases. Anyway, could someone possibly post pictures of the clarity and/or light transmission of the 10x. I know for the money its not gonna be as good as say a Us Optics or S&B scope but this fits my price range/needs perfectly and I just wanna be sure.Big%20Smile  Thanks in advance!
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 22:59
It's fantastic.  Buy with confidence.  Clarity is important, which the SS is but the other features, repeatability and ruggedness is more important.  It's one of the few scopes out there that has true 1/4MOA adjustments, and to think it's only 300 bucks.
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 00:31
It's about as tough as a tank, and the optics are a bargain for the dollars spent. ALOT of bang for your dollar. You will not be disappointed................
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 05:33

What is the total MOA adjustment for windage/elevation on the SS 16X? Also, I notice that there is no side focus or AO on the SS pictures posted, so how is paralax adjusted?

Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 05:41
Sorry, I just realized that it has a rear paralax adjustment. I have never used this type of focus before, how does it differ from the AO, or SF? Optically, what would the glass on the SS compare to? (other manufacturer) 
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 11:52
Originally posted by Blackbird Blackbird wrote:

What is the total MOA adjustment for windage/elevation on the SS 16X? Also, I notice that there is no side focus or AO on the SS pictures posted, so how is paralax adjusted?

They are all different. I would say somewhere between 95 and 120 Total MOA adjustment.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 11:58
Originally posted by Blackbird Blackbird wrote:

Sorry, I just realized that it has a rear paralax adjustment. I have never used this type of focus before, how does it differ from the AO, or SF? Optically, what would the glass on the SS compare to? (other manufacturer) 
The Side focus and the rear focus serve the same purpose and function relatively the same. It is just located in a different spot on the scope. I would compare it to a high end Burris and a Mid range Leupold Optically.

One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 12:36
the scope is pretty impressive, the internals, as far as durability could just possibly rank with some of the best. use the rear focus on an m1a and kinda like it. mil- ranging works as good as any other brand at this power,
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 13:42
I've got the rear focus SS 10x42 on my 308 and it works like a charm.  The tracking is spot on and the glass has been improved a couple of years ago.  Curent production Super Snipers are an awesome bang for the buck.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 16:19
Originally posted by Mithran Mithran wrote:

It's fantastic.  Buy with confidence.  Clarity is important, which the SS is but the other features, repeatability and ruggedness is more important.  It's one of the few scopes out there that has true 1/4MOA adjustments, and to think it's only 300 bucks.

Amen!!

daigneau34 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daigneau34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 17:13
hi has anybody tryed the millet tactical scope? its about the same money as the SS 10 x42 im torn between the two i need some opinions . thanks
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 17:16
The TRS is also a good scope, not great but certainly a good scope. I have one and it serves well. Decent glass for the price as well. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daigneau34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 18:08
thats cool  im mostly going to hunt with this gun so the variable power makes me lean to it .but everybody talks about how good the super snipers are . so not sure
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 18:12
i sure love my 10x ss on my m1a, and ive messed w 3 others on everything from a savage 308 bolt rifle to a 338 lapua. every one has performed flawlessly.

funny story w mine, once i thought i had a tracking problem w it after a long shooting day. had cheked my 100 yd zero, and confirmed my dope to 1k. shot back and forth at all varying ranges, and fired my last couple rounds back at 100 to make sure everything was GTG. to my horror the last shots were 3 inches low. egads...

mind ya this is the rifle

i call her ole rattletrap, but she shoots well. she now sports a duct tape and foam cheekpiece, and a vortex, and draws some funny looks at the various ranges, till she shows her stuff...anyways....

imagine my horror when she didnt return to zero. im thinkin...mount,scope, bedding? lord knows shes finicky. so...i grab a 4x8 sheet of drywall, and make a ladder test target that makes the lil 10 moa each way ones most folks use look like a postage stamp. grab a bunch of rounds and off to the range again. at 100yds we ran her up and down in 10 moa increments over a total of 100 moa in elevation. windage we only ran her 20 moa each way. amazing, the freakin super sniper came back dead freakin on. ended up my bedding shifted, i kinda knew it was coming, but i wanted to eliminate the ez fixes before rebedding her. anyways, after a new bedding job shes back up and runnin, and that super sniper hasnt missed a beat.

ive used it for derr hunting in low light at ranges of less than 50yd, and ive zapped groundhogs out aways, as well as ringin the gongs to 1 k w my budd playin spooter and callin the wind.

u wont be disappointed in the super sniper. the only potential problem is the fixed magnification, for certain applications. for me itsa not a problem, but some deer hunting buddys keep buyin cheap junk, or way expensive scopes just for the adjustable mag. they cant imagine huntin whitetails here at 10x,

but...they dont shoot their rifles all year long either

8*)

lear

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 18:43

Good post, lear. Nice rig, too. Did you do the pistol grip yourself?
 Tell me, though, if you fire that rifle with the scabbard on the bayonet, would the bullet hit the top "ear" of the scabbard?  Sure looks like it would...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daigneau34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 19:05
my rig is a TC encore with a 257 wby mag barrel just recieved in the mail from match grade machine. the barrel is full bull with muzzle brake i just recieved myxtreme tac burris 30 mm rings from ups 15 mins ago so im ready to order my scope tonight so i can finnaly shoot my rig for the first time . i guess im going to order the ss 10 power tonight
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daigneau34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 19:06
took 8 weeks to get the custom barrel
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 19:16
thx, its an E2 stock i believe they developed for the m14 in full auto. would be worth a pretty penny to a collector if it didnt have the bedding done etc. i didnt know, i traded a v65 magna that almost killed me a few times for it back in 1990.

diagneau i know some guys who shoot the encore, and they really like them. GL! w the rig!

lear
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 19:18

hehe prob would hit the scabbard, i dunno, cant try it now, the vortex FH doesnt have a bayonet lug. found a crack in the web of that FH, thought id try the vortex

lear
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daigneau34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 19:24
thnx ive shot the encore for years and love them . this is my first 257wby barrel though i cant wait to shoot it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic