OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2.5X FX2 Ultralite; topping short list!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.5X FX2 Ultralite; topping short list!!
    Posted: February/20/2008 at 01:35
My short list has been revised to now include this scope as the top choice to mount on my Howa M1500 .375 Ruger which is coming in later this year. The other two are the Weaver 1x3 V3 and the Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5x20 (aka. shotgun scope).............On another site, a poster mounted a V3 on his new compact 20" barreled Remy Model 7, 350 Rem. Mag.....................On the 1X setting, with medium height Warne rings, the front site and barrel is visible through his scope on the lower half of the site picture! Although he mentions that this does not concern or bother him, my first preference would be to have a clear site picture through the scope. On a DGR, this may also occur with a 1.25X or a 1.5X using medium height rings, which I much prefer over the high and extra high rings!..............I know that many of you who own DGRs probably would prefer a higher magnification option than just a 2.5x. Realistically though, any big game guided hunts on animals that a .375 would be used on (big bears, moose, bison, caped buffs, large African plains game), the shots for the most part, will average less than 200 yards.................In looking through my 4200 set on 3X, my neighbor`s small upstairs bathroom window at 277 yards away was no problem to target on the window`s center. On larger big game targets, even out to 300 yards, the 2.5x will not be a problem.................I am no Leupold fan (more money for what you get). But! They offer a great selection for DGRs (1" tubes) where Bushnell offers nothing in their 4200 line!Sad Really%20Sad..............The 2.5 FX2 Ultralite weighs only 6.5 oz, is only 8" long, has a great 4.9" of eye relief and still offers quick target acquisition as well. Compared to the lower powered variables, the FX2`s FOV is reduced, but it still has from what I understand, the capability for quick acquisition both eyes open aiming!......................Anyone have this particular scope on their DGR, guide gun or bush gun blaster??.........You like it?? Thunbs%20Up         No like it? Thumbs%20Down
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 03:20
I've played with the little 2.5x20 quite a bit and it is a great little scope.  If you get one I would suggest heavy plex reticle.  If you plan to use the "both eyes open" techniques, I woud suggest you first make sure it works for you with 2.5x magnification.  A lot of people have trouble with that, especially with non-illuminated reticles.  That is really the advantage of a variable scope on a DGR rifle: it is not about dialing up the magnificaiton.  It is about being able to dial it down.

ILya
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 03:48
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I've played with the little 2.5x20 quite a bit and it is a great little scope.  If you get one I would suggest heavy plex reticle.  If you plan to use the "both eyes open" techniques, I woud suggest you first make sure it works for you with 2.5x magnification.  A lot of people have trouble with that, especially with non-illuminated reticles.  That is really the advantage of a variable scope on a DGR rifle: it is not about dialing up the magnificaiton.  It is about being able to dial it down.

ILya
...........................................ILya...........The Leupold 2.5X IER scout has an eye relief of between 9" & 17."..............Does that greater eye relief allow for faster acquisition (both eyes open aiming) as opposed to the shorter eye relief of the FX2`s 4.9".........If so, then why? The 3x9 Trijicon TR20 allows for both eyes open aiming and yet it has shorter eye relief than the FX2! If the Trijicon can do that, why can`t the FX2? What would be the difference?.........................As far as dialing down on a lower powered variable? The front site and the barrel may very well enter the site picture when looking through the scope! I don`t want that to happen! That`s why the increase to a 2.5X 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 03:59
The scout scope can be a touch faster with both eyes aiming simply because the scope takes up less of the field of view of both eyes.  For the same reason, scout scopes are worse in low light. 

For me personally, a FX-2 2.5x20 would probably be a bit faster than a scout set-up with Leupolds 2.5x28 due to 2.5x20's thicker reticle and the fact that I am comfortable with both eyes being open up to about 3x on most scopes.  You really need to make sure that you are comfortable with it.

With trijicon, the big difference is the reticle: that large glowing dot or triangle makes aiming with both eyes open much easier.  If you plan to keep both eyes open you need a reticle that is very visible for maximum effectiveness.

As for seeing the barrel, for my uses, I do not care, but that is a personal thing.  The barrel shows up in the bottom of the field of view and if I am aiming, I am really concentrating on the reticle and could not care less what happens in the bottom 10% of the FOV.

ILya
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 10:28

Squeeze,

It's what things look like when you can feel thier breath that makes for a scope on a dgr.  It's CQB for thing that can eat you.   Most of the guided hunt stuff gets you in close more like bow hunting range.   What's stuff like at fifty feet and fifty yards?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 11:16
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Squeeze,

It's what things look like when you can feel thier breath that makes for a scope on a dgr.  It's CQB for thing that can eat you.   Most of the guided hunt stuff gets you in close more like bow hunting range.   What's stuff like at fifty feet and fifty yards?
..........................................Excuse my ignorance, but what does CQB stand for???Question
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 11:52
Most professional hunters are using iron sights anyway.....since they're basically "bodyguards". Finn Aagaard said scoping a 375 sounded "like a good idea until you learned better."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 12:10
                           CQB=close quaters battle
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 12:12
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Most professional hunters are using iron sights anyway.....since they're basically "bodyguards". Finn Aagaard said scoping a 375 sounded "like a good idea until you learned better."
.............................................Interesting!!...............Every article I read w/pics, see episodes on the Outdoor Channel or on Versus, every caped buff hunt (Boddington, Shockey and others), use scopes on their DGRs...............The guides however, have the unscoped rifles for quick backup if needed!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 12:12
                       Let's try that again!!  close quarters battle
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 12:17
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

CQB=close quaters battle
.........................................Thank you sir!.............Sounds like CQB could also apply to marriages too?? Argue..................Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 12:19
Yes, I understand that Craig Boddington is absolutely amazing with a scope in close quarters encounters with nasty wounded critters. Even he said that he is just very accustomed to the rifle, because he realizes how unusual it is to go after a wounded WHATEVER with a scope.

A scoped 375 makes a lot of sense for lots of game shooting, but I would get detachable mounts for the Ernest Hemingway stuff.                              --Ed        Smile
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 12:21

Yes, I understand that Craig Boddington is absolutely amazing with a scope in close quarters encounters with nasty wounded critters. Even he said that he is just very accustomed to the rifle, because he realizes how unusual it is to go after a wounded WHATEVER with a scope.

A scoped 375 makes a lot of sense for lots of game shooting, but I would get detachable mounts for the Ernest Hemingway stuff.                              --Ed        Smile
..............................................Yep!............I plan to use QDMs (quick detachable mounts), probably the Warne`s!Wink 
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 12:29
" The Short Happy Life of Francis Big Squeeze"   Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

( you realize of course that we are only ribbing you!!  HA!  'cuz you always respond like Donald Duck throwing a fit!! HA!)
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 12:31

" The Short Happy Life of Francis Big Squeeze"   Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

( you realize of course that we are only ribbing you!!  HA!  'cuz you always respond like Donald Duck throwing a fit!! HA!)
....................................You only think I`m throwing a fit!!!..................Naaaa!........Where did "Francis" come from????
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 12:35
" The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" a short story by Ernest Hemingway--- about an American hunter on safari in Africa, who wound up getting dead.............you'll have to read it. I don't want to spoil the ending.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 12:38

I have a 300 Savage model 99 that has some sort of "buckhorn" iron sights and they are awesome.  For what ever reason the guns fits me too...... i pull that old fart up and its aimed right where I'm looking.  This is the type of set-up I would want on a DGR (finally figured out it means Dangerous Game Rifle).  I once shot a coyote with this gun at about 250 yards.  I had to open both eyes so I could see the coyote and the sights.  So I know this would be great for something as big as dangerous game at close quarters!

Does anyone know if you can still get these kinds of iron sights?
take em!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 12:43
Yes, you can. Out of the Brownells catalog.   www.brownells.com      

I LOVE those Savage 99s!!  The old pre-1960 types with the lever safety.          
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 13:42
Brockman, Wild West, Ashely/XO are all the cataloge mentioned.

Check out the "Death in the Long Grass" series of books.

I thought that the Francis came from a popular movie animal with Donald O'conner...
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 14:06
Yep, before we send Big Squeeze to the Dark Continent we ought to get him to read all those books about getting hunters being squished by buffalo and elephant and stuff! Shocked 

Then he'll CHANGE HIS MIND again and get a 470 Nitro!!  HA!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic