OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Spotting Scope Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spotting Scope Review
    Posted: February/19/2008 at 13:33

FrankD posted this on another forum.  I thought it would be of interest here as well.

Originally posted by FrankD FrankD wrote:

For you folks with an interest in or who are shopping for spotting

scopes I just noticed this link from the EO website....

http://www.livingbird.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=272&srcid=265#top

A pdf copy of the results is here....

http://www.livingbird.org/netcommunity/bbimages/lb/pdf/ScopeChart2008.pdf

Of interest to me was the inclusion of the Bushnell Elite in the "mid-priced ($1000-1500)" category when I've never seen it sell for anything more than $700. I suppose that's Bushnell's fault for listing MSRPs that are just ridiculously out of whack with their products' actual real-world price points. (I've never seen anyone do this nearly as blatantly as Bushnell always has.)

Also of note were the fairly damning comments about the Vortex Skyline series as well as the equally high praise given to the Stokes Sandpiper.

I'm not sure I agree with everything the author posted but, I was certainly pleased to finally read a review where honest opinions were shared as opposed to the watered-down, always complimentary, virtual advertisements we normally get to read.

Bravo Cornell and Living Bird.

Edited by lucznik - February/19/2008 at 13:33
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 17:12
Good read, lucznik!  A few rather surprising conclusions.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2008 at 22:41
The best budget result was something called a Vortex Sandpiper.  Wjat among the SWFA choices is that most similar to?
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 13:33
Perhaps the Vortex Nomad.

Other options might include:

Bushnell Elite
Bushnell Legend
Nikon Prostaff
Nikon Spotter XLII
Pentax PF63

FOG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 16:42
I found another apparently useful head-to-head comparison at http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/SpottingScopes.asp
What makes using the two head-to-head sets of reviews really frustrating is that there don't seem to be any spotting scopes in common.

SWFA apparently doesn't carry the vortex/stokes sandpiper, carrying only non-Stokes Vortex products, as far as I can see.  SWFA apparently carries the  Bushnell Spacemaster, which seemed to be a "best buy" on the second head-to head test.  It would be great if there were a way to link the two tests.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 17:06
The snipercountry article you link to is very old (written over 6.5 years ago.)  Much has changed since then in spotting scopes.  For example the Nikon Spotter XL the article refers to has since been upgraded to the Spotter XL II and then discontinued in favor of Nikon's new Prostaff spotting scope.  

I'm pretty sure the Swift Panther, Burris Signature,  and Kowa 612 are also discontinued scopes. This is probably one reason why the two articles don't have any scopes in common. 

The information in that article is, therefore, only good for gaining an historical perspective, not really as a comparative tool for current market offerings. 

Edited by lucznik - June/04/2008 at 17:10
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 17:24
Good post, but i'm still waiting for a review on the new bushnell spotter.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2008 at 17:43
lucytuma,

I think you might be waiting for awhile.  Bushnell has yet to release it and even when they do, someone still has to buy one and then be kind enough to post their review.

Alexis Morrison View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexis Morrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 12:51
 Vortex is one of the best producers of spotting scopes that I had experience with. I would strongly recommend for anyone interested. I like the combination of ergonomic design, performance, ruggedness and great value. While other producers claim the latest technologies and innovations, continue in the tradition of Vortex brand with its attention to detail, proven functionality and unbeatable price to usability ratio. Whatever your application, when looking for a good riflescope - don't count out the good ole Vortex. If looking for a good selection at a reasonable price, several online stores carry them in stock, but I found the best service at - they have in depth product detail, pictures, comparisons and reviews. Check them out if just for product research.

Edited by cyborg - March/23/2010 at 13:03
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2010 at 13:04
READ OUR RULES MORRISON

1.  Keep it clean.  If you have to ask your self whether or not it's clean.........don't post it.  This includes images too, no blood, guts, nudity, etc.  Only respectful "Hero Shots" of harvested game can be posted.  Pictures of bloody game, game hanging or game in the bed of pick-up truck are not respectable.

2.  No personal attacks.  If you think someone is an idiot, (chances are) everyone else does too.  No need to post it.

3.  Do not advertise our competition.  We work hard to gain the respect and support of our customers.  We also offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee.

4.  No religious discussions or politics unless it relates to guns, optics, and or shooting.

5.  PM stands for Private Message.  Do not publicly share PM's without the consent of the sender.

6.  The Optics Talk forum is not to be used as a customer service tool for SWFA customers.  Tracking numbers, Order Status, Credit Card issues, etc. need to be directed to our Customer Service Professionals at 972-617-7056 from 8 a.m -5 p.m CDT or via e-mail at swfa@swfa.com.

7.  For Sale ads are to be placed in Member's Trading Post area only.  Read the For Sale Rules prior to selling.

8.  SWFA's OpticsTalk forum is a peaceful community of like minded shooting, hunting and outdoors enthusiasts.  Open minded, logical, rational debates are healthy and welcome.  Close minded, agenda pushing, strong handed debates (bordering on arguments) to prove one's position or point simply for the sake of winning or to gain some perceived power are not welcome.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2010 at 17:47
Wow, talk about digging up old threads.  This baby is almost two years old!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic