OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Elite 4200 vs.Nikon Monarch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elite 4200 vs.Nikon Monarch
    Posted: November/16/2004 at 20:44
     From what I have read and heard these two scopes are very good low light scopes and mechanically sound. I want to know if the Elite 4200 has a constant eye relief of 3.3 inches or is that just the average between all power settings? I also would like to know Just how well and how long that firefly reticle glows before needing a recharge.
     I know that its what is inside that scope tube that makes the difference between a good scope and piece of crap. What is the difference between the Elite 4200 and Nikon Monarch internally other than the lenses of course. After all the most important role of a scope is to hold its aim and put that bullet where it belongs! Burris has detailed drawing showing the internal makings of their Fullfield II models so if Elites and Nikons did this what would I be seeing on their diagrams?
     One last question, only a few scopes such as Nikon and Zeiss offer constant eye relief at all power settings. Why is that? It seems like a logical thing to do on a variable power scope.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2004 at 23:34

the 4200 is a brighter scope then the Monarch and I would venture to say much tougher.

ranburr

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 07:17

ditto to ranburr, the elite is much superior.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 07:22

The Nikon Monarch is a very nice scope with typical Nikon optics ( very good for the bucks ) , however, the Elite 4200 is a better scope that offers exclusive features that no other scope offers, so far. I own several of these scopes, one in particular, that has been mounted on three different rifles. One, a 30/06 with hundreds of rounds down range, another rifle in 300 Win Mag, again with several hundred rounds down range during the search of the best load and finally a 280 Ackley Imp with the same usage. Now all three rifles have 2.5-10x40 Elite 4200's on them. I think that it is one the very best scopes available today.

The FireFly, when charged with a good flashlight, like a Surefire or Stinger for about a minute will keep the reticle glowing for about an hour in my experience. Bushnell, at one time, had an open view pictured the internal construction of the 4200. The reticle assembly is triple secured ( sealant, screwed and glued ) in it's carriage. What it basically comes down to is that it was designed to be durable form stem to stern without cutting out any cost saving materials at the expense of durability. Bushnell subjects the 4200's to a torture test that is twice the amount of Leupold, and we all will agree that Leupold builds one of the strongest scopes available regardless of cost!

DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 08:01
     Im glad you answered my questions. Can you tell me if the Elite 4200 has a constant eye relief of 3.3 inches at all power settings or is it just the average eye relief. Also, do you find yourself using firefly during hunting trips as often as you thought you would? I cant decide if I really need to spend that extra $50.00 or not for that feature. Last but not least, how does the Elite 4200 compare to the Zeiss conquest? Have you used a Conquest? I think I might be better off with the Elite because I am primarily using this scope for deer hunting. I like the idea of the raingaurd. Someone once told me the conquest had fog resistant lenses. Does the Zeiss have a form of raingaurd on its lenses or was I misinformed?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 08:23

im not 100% positive on the eye relief of the 4200, but the 4200 and the conquest are equal IMHO.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 09:59
Dave, I believe it does have a constant eye relief. As for the FireFly reticle, it has two major pluses for low light shoot. The first is the illumination of the reticle and the second, which might be just as important is that the design of the reticle. From edge to center, it starts out thick, then steps down agan and finially goes to a fairly thin crosshair. Trust me is is WELL worth the extra bucks!!!! ( No pun intended ). Also remember that the Elites have a 1 year refund policy, no questions asked, if you are not completely satisfied. To me, it's a no brainer. You have nothing to loose for one year of use. NOBODY stands behind that kind of policy. So, go for it.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 20:27
     Roy, have you ever had to send in one of your Elites to be repaired? Also, I looked up the warranty on Bushnells website and it says ONE YEAR FREE REPLACEMENT NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I dont think the word REPLACEMENT means they will REFUND your money.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 21:06

Unless they changed things it was a refund.

ranburr

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 21:11

Your right, it does now say replacement.

ranburr

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2004 at 10:06
I had a problem with one of my Elites that was my fault and the folks at Bushnell  satisfied me 110%!!! As to the second part of your question about the warranty I spoke with a CSR at Bushnell today and the REFUND policy is unchanged. For up to one year the original owner can get a full refund of the purchase price if he or she is not satisfied with a 4200 or 3200 Elite riflescope. Proof of purchase required.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2004 at 12:09
     Thanks guys you have been very helpful. I am curious on your opinions on the new BROWNING Riflescopes they have recently came out with. From what I understand they are made by bushnell in the same factory as their Elite riflescopes are made. They are said to have Elite 4200 glass in 3200 powers and one piece tubes and saddles. They even have the one year free refund warranty. The only downside I can see is the lack of raingaurd coatings and no firefly. So what do you think?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2004 at 13:33
The 3200 is not a true one piece tube as is the 4200. The turret or saddle is separate and appears to be attached with some sort of sealant. Ranburr brought out a very good point with regards to gun manufactures making riflescopes. If the company decides for whatever reason to discontinue the scopes, where do you send it for warranty/repair issues? Stick with the companies that make riflescopes with a long standing reputation of quality.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2004 at 14:49

the reason i would buy a 4200 would be for the rainguard coatings, and the superior light quality. IMHO, step up to the 4200.

cory

DISABLEDVET View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DISABLEDVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2004 at 22:00
I like a paper towel cardboard tube with a pice of a mayonase jar bottom duct taped to the front of it,and on the back for the eye pice i use a 3.50 power wal mart reading glasses lense taped to the back. then epoxy the whole works onto the gun.works great for thoes montanna antelope hunts.
DISABLEDVET

SOMEDAY SOMEONE MAY KILL YOU
WITH YOUR OWN WEAPON.
BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE TO BEAT
YOU TO DEATH WITH IT BECAUSE
IT'S EMPTY.
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2004 at 10:32
     I dont know about the firefly reticle. I never have had a chance to look through a scope with a firefly reticle, but it looks to me that it is what Bushnell calls a 3-2-1 lowlight reticle. I looked through a Bushnell scope once that had this reticle and I thought it was way to thick and seemed like it would cover up too much of your target in the sight picture. I looked up the Bushnell reticles on their website and the 3-2-1 on there didnt seem to be bad at all, at least not like I remembered it to be. Maybe I should just stick with the standard duplex reticle. What so you all think? Could someone show me a picture of the reticle used in the firefly scope side by side with a standard duplex so I can see how much difference there really is?
ken k View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2004 at 12:01

check out 4scopes.com ... their unsolicited testimonial is that of the ten brands they carry, Bushnell has by far the highest number of cutomer complaints and mechanical falures.

Bushnell also makes and sells a lot of cheap scopes. the 4200 is their premier scope and hopefully would not suffer the same reputation. I agree with you that Bushnell is very lacking in technical information on their scopes. they apparently don't make rings and bases either or offer a guide as to which sizes to use with rifle- scope combiations.also, try to get a Bushnell catalog.

DISABLEDVET View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DISABLEDVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2004 at 18:39
Originally posted by ken k ken k wrote:

check out 4scopes.com ... their unsolicited testimonial is that of the ten brands they carry, Bushnell has by far the highest number of cutomer complaints and mechanical falures.

Bushnell also makes and sells a lot of cheap scopes. the 4200 is their premier scope and hopefully would not suffer the same reputation. I agree with you that Bushnell is very lacking in technical information on their scopes. they apparently don't make rings and bases either or offer a guide as to which sizes to use with rifle- scope combiations.also, try to get a Bushnell catalog.

you'r the first person i ever heard who didn't like bushnell, i'm no expert nor am i rich so what should the average guy look at as far as a good reliable scope?

DISABLEDVET

SOMEDAY SOMEONE MAY KILL YOU
WITH YOUR OWN WEAPON.
BUT THEY SHOULD HAVE TO BEAT
YOU TO DEATH WITH IT BECAUSE
IT'S EMPTY.
ken k View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2004 at 20:21

Disabledvet,

Your pen name  leads me to believe that you either aren't a vet, or that you're disabled because of the fact the enemy saw you before you saw them.Therefore, your expertise in rifle optics leads me to be somewhat unimpressed.

Look for scopes that belong to a line  of fine scopes and not just the top of the line in their product list.

Look for excellent quality standards and consumer acceptence due to historic quality.

Look for an advertising program that supplies the cutomer with detailed specifications, engineering data,

accesories such as optional equipment, rings, bases ,etc.

Look for a manufacturer that doesn't offer a free Chinese made suitcase as an incentive to purchase their scope.

I seem to find your opinion all over this chat room.I  wonder why.

Look forward to your opinion.

Ken

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2004 at 20:44

Ken, you sound like an absolute horses ass!  I do not know disabledvet, but I doubt he picked that name because it sounded good.  I find your post insulting to all vets, of which I am also a disabled vet.  To insinuate that he was a piss poor soldier for having a service related disability is an insult to anyone who has ever worn a uniform.  You sound like someone who has never been in uniform, much less combat.  I think you should limit your discussion to subjects you might know something about.  I hope you don't go around spouting that kind of crap in public, because it is just a matter of time before you are going to have to pick yourself up off the ground after a vet whips your ass!  Now that I have that out of my system, it is obvious that you are some guy that read an article and now knows it all.  If you had any sense you would go out and try a Bushnell 4200 Elite and realize that it is a tremendous scope at any price.  If you had any business sense at all you would know that Bushnell is doing a fantastic job of market coverage.  They do a great job of filling the needs of customers from the lowest to the highest of the economic ladder.  You obviously have a lot to learn in a lot of areas.

ranburr

Edited by ranburr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic