OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington Model 700 Trigger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 20:23
pyro6999
How do you like the xmark pro. Can you give any comparrison to it and the old 700 trigger. Ease of adjusting, smoothness, crispness,ect. You are the first to have one that I know of. I was about to start a new thread but this one should be approprate. I was looking at a jewell ( they are great) but if the xmark pro is more adjustiable and can be had in a left hand, It may be more affordable.

Edited by cheaptrick - February/20/2008 at 02:08
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 20:28
Can any one delete my last post It is not what I Had typed. Need to edit.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 20:31
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Can any one delete my last post It is not what I Had typed. Need to edit.

Hi, 3_tens, which portion of your post did you not intend to type?  Contact Chris Farris or Cheaptrick; one of those guys can help you. 

I assume that until you reach a certain post count, you don't have the option to delete your own post in the post options.

Edited by RifleDude - February/19/2008 at 20:34
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 20:44
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

How do you like the xmark pro. Can you give any comparrison to it and the old 700 trigger. Ease of adjusting, smoothness, crispness,ect. You are the first to have one that I know of. I was about to start a new thread but this one should be approprate. I was looking at a jewell ( they are great) but if the xmark pro is more adjustiable and can be had in a left hand, It may be more affordable.

the x mark i have was set at 4 lbs so it wasnt bad out of the box, the glue or whatever they use on the screws is nasty stuff i never could get all three to break free so i could only adjust sear engagement and trigger pull so i only took it to 3.5 lbs. that glue is so nasty i tried to burn it soak scrape it and i broke 2 allen wrenches off trying to get it, i even had some craftsman t handles and they couldnt break it loose. but they break very nice reguardless
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 20:46
actually..... it made me laugh out loud!   Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
take em!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 02:32
Police
Attention....We interrupt your regularly scheduled OT programming for an important announcement!!

We have had a minor, I repeat minor...uh, potty mouth incident!! Thinking
A highly trained crew of clean up personnel have been deployed and are on the scene, taking all necessary and appropriate measures to protect you and your families.

Thank you for your cooperation!! And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 06:07
you guys are KILLING me!!!Roll%20on%20Floor%20LaughingCheaptrick made me spit my coffee through my nose......

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 06:27
Whistling     Mouth%20Taped%20Shut
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 06:57
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

... the glue or whatever they use on the screws is nasty stuff i never could get all three to break free so i could only adjust sear engagement and trigger pull so i only took it to 3.5 lbs...

Wasn't it the sear engagement screw that wouldn't break free?  I thought you were able to adjust pull weight and overtravel, but not sear engagement.  The single screw on the back side of the trigger housing is sear engagement.

Edited by RifleDude - February/20/2008 at 06:59
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 06:58
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Police
Attention....We interrupt your regularly scheduled OT programming for an important announcement!!

We have had a minor, I repeat minor...uh, potty mouth incident!! Thinking
A highly trained crew of clean up personnel have been deployed and are on the scene, taking all necessary and appropriate measures to protect you and your families.

Thank you for your cooperation!! And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 08:05
that right ted, i couldnt remember but yeah i couldnt adjust the sear engagement so i didnt really lighten the pull up much cause i was affraid i wouldnt be able to pass the slam and bump tests your right.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 10:19
Well...... I hope you send it back to them!  Kind of defeats the purpose of having a self-adjustable trigger doesn't it?
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 10:26
actually they dont want you to adjust there trigger, they use to put directions on how to do it in the owners manual to many people screwed it up and rem took it out for liablity reasons, and they say if you adjust the trigger it can void your warranty and if you send it to rem they replace your trigger and charge you for it not re adjust your trigger
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 10:43
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Well...... I hope you send it back to them!  Kind of defeats the purpose of having a self-adjustable trigger doesn't it?

Remington puts the glue on the screws precisely because they DON'T want you to adjust it at all.  They intend for the adjustments to be done only by them or a "qualified gunsmith." In fact, if you do change the factory settings, they may void your warranty, and if you ever do send the rifle back to them, they will reset it to the factory settings and charge you for doing so.  This isn't a concern to me, because after I determine that there are no manufacturing defects on a new rifle, from that point on, I do my own work on my guns, if ever required.  

Remington is concerned with product liability just like any other firearms company today.  So, if they advertise how to adjust their trigger, they put themselves in legal jeopardy, because by doing so, they are then advocating that the average shooter adjust the trigger him/herself.  Then, if someone who has no idea of trigger function and how to set it safely ends up killing themselves or someone else because of unsafe trigger settings, Remington would be sued big time for telling the consumer how to do it.  This is why even though you can find instructions for adjusting the trigger with a google search, I believe it's unwise to advertise to the world how to do it and why many of us won't mention the procedure.  It's very simple, but if you don't have the sear engagement set adequately, or you're marginal on pull weight, the rifle can accidentally fire if it gets bumped, potentially killing someone.

Edited by RifleDude - February/20/2008 at 10:49
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 10:47
Having said that, if you are very experienced with trigger function and how to properly adjust them, you can sometimes break the glue free by applying heat and using some penetrating oil.  Pyro told me that his sear engagement screw wouldn't break loose even after applying heat and oil.  Remington now uses a much stronger glue to seal the adjustment screws on the X Mark Pro than they did with the previous generation trigger.
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 11:11
well the sear screw was the others werent to bad
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 12:22
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

timney jewell riflebasix a lot of good ones out there, i wont buy one unless i was shooting competitively, 2.5lbs is way light enough for hunting.

I have a Timney on my m700 set for 3.5lbs and I love it.  Bandito
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 13:22
my factory rem trigger is set at that i love it too and it didnt cost extra either.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 17:09
Put a few drops of MEK (Methyl Ethel Ketone) on it. MEK can be found at most box stores. It will dissolve most adhesiveswith out damaging the metal. This is used extensively in the rebuilding of helicopter panels. (See no names to scramble) $#@%
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 17:10
i should have tried that i have some mek too, i will remember that for next time.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic