OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington Model 700 Trigger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington Model 700 Trigger
    Posted: February/16/2008 at 20:45
I have a Remington 700 ADL .30-06 and would like to upgrade my trigger.  What would you guys recommend? 
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 21:36
Originally posted by Corky Corky wrote:

I have a Remington 700 ADL .30-06 and would like to upgrade my trigger.  What would you guys recommend? 

A good gunsmith can tune a 700 trigger to work very smoothly. They have been considered about the best factory trigger by many folks for many years, at least until Savage debuted the Accutrigger.
 If you would rather go aftermarket, Jewells are very good, as are Timneys. Probably some newer ones out now that I'm not up to speed on. Rifle Basix is a name I hear a lot but have never used. Somebody here has one, I bet...

Edited by RONK - February/16/2008 at 22:06
Corky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 21:55

I think i'll take your advice and have a gunsmith do some fine tuning for me.  Thanks.

timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 22:33
Make sure you specify the use of the gun.  It needs to pass the bump and slam tests for hunting.  For target use only it can be adjusted lighter.  I'd recommend one of Remington's authorized service centers.  Most of them will only go down to 3#'s but it'll be safe.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 23:05
Corky, in what way do you feel your M700 trigger needs improvement?  Pull weight?  Creep?  Overtravel?  Your trigger is fully adjustable for all three.  The factory M700 trigger is a very good general purpose hunting trigger once you change the "lawyer" settings as it came out of the box.  But first, if you do not understand how the trigger works and how to properly adjust it, take it to a qualified gunsmith.  It isn't at all difficult to adjust, but anytime you're dealing with the fire control system of a rifle, the consequences for setting it to an unsafe condition can be extremely severe!

If you want a crisp 3lb. or so trigger pull, IMO there's no need to buy an aftermarket trigger, as the factory trigger will give you this.  In a big game hunting trigger, there really is no reason to ever go below 2 lb pull in my humble opinion.

If you want a trigger pull that can be adjusted below 2lbs safely, the factory Remington trigger isn't really designed for that.  As Timber said, if after adjustment, a trigger won't pass the bump and slam fire tests, then it IS NOT safe!  The factory Remington design in stock form reaches its safe lower limits at around 2 lbs and a decent amount of sear engagement.  Any lighter pull than that and, as Ronk suggested, you need to look at aftermarket triggers from manufacturers such as Jewell (maybe the finest Rem replacement trigger made), Timney, Rifle Basix, Shilen, etc.

Edited by RifleDude - February/16/2008 at 23:09
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Corky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 07:39
Pull weight is what I am concerned about.  I don't know what it is set at now.  I spend many hours at the range but my rifle is for hunting.  I'd like to have it set as low as safely possible.  3 lbs seems to be the consensus.  I won't tackle the job by myself.  I'll take it to a gunsmith.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 09:53
Originally posted by Corky Corky wrote:

Pull weight is what I am concerned about.  I don't know what it is set at now.  I spend many hours at the range but my rifle is for hunting.  I'd like to have it set as low as safely possible.  3 lbs seems to be the consensus.  I won't tackle the job by myself.  I'll take it to a gunsmith.

I wouldn't be surprised if it currently breaks at 8 pounds or more from the factory. If you specify a crisp , smooth 3 pounds,and your smith achieves that, you simply won't believe the difference.
 These guys are correct, it needs to pass a few tests to be safe after adjustment, which is why you are wise to take it to a pro. I do my own and I have a sneaking suspicion that Rifle Dude sets his own triggers too, but he's a really, really smart engineer or something!

Smile
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 10:40
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

...but he's a really, really smart engineer or something!

Smile

Don't know if I'd go THAT far... smartass maybe...
Wink
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 11:43
both of my remingtons broke differently, my 673 went at about 6lbs and my new cdl with the xmark pro trigger broke at 4lbs so i adjusted them both into the 3-3.5 lbs range not really any creep or overtravel nice and it took like 10 min to do one trigger
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 12:45
Adjusting a Remington trigger can be safley and easily done yourself, if your so inclined. I did mine.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 12:47

i dont recommend any amatuer just doing it, the safety ramifications of doing it incorrectly could be fatal, be super careful if you do it your self

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 14:14
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Adjusting a Remington trigger can be safley and easily done yourself, if your so inclined. I did mine.

Yeah, but you're a really, really smart concrete guy!!! We really don't know anything about Corky!

Smile

Edited by RONK - February/17/2008 at 14:15
Corky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 14:54

I'm sure I could do it myself, but I also need to take my Marlin 336 to a gunsmith.  Having him do it will save me from buying one of those trigger pull guages.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 10:01
Corky....... I just went thru this a couple of months ago.  I have a 700 BDL in .223 and after shooting my Son's Savage with AccuTrigger, I had to do something with my Remmy trigger.  I took it to a gunsmith and he did a great job!!  It was breaking at 6.5 lbs and it had both creep and a bit of over travel.  Now it breaks at 3.25 lbs or so and is nice and crisp with NO over travel.  All that for $25.00...... or maybe $35, can't remeber for sure, but either way, I'm VERY Happy!

FWIW........ I use this gun for coyotes and we hunt when its cold, so I use a insulated leather glove.   I have not gotten used to the lesser pull required and gun has gone off before I intended it to a couple of times.  I have not had this problem on the days that I didn't have to use a glove, so just be aware.

Disclaimer..... no one was injured in the making of this post!   Big%20Smile 
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 10:03
i would tell you how to do it but i dont want to, i know there are several other members here who are capable of a trigger job as well and feel the same liability issue keeps them from spilling the beans. i would recommend having a smith do it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ssf467 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssf467 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 11:10
Timmney is a good 1 I like em
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 11:12
timney jewell riflebasix a lot of good ones out there, i wont buy one unless i was shooting competitively, 2.5lbs is way light enough for hunting.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 11:39

Yeah I would use a gun smith. I do tons of trigger jobs and a drop fire still makes me nerves after all I have done.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 12:12
BD.......... I'd say that's a good thing!   Keeps ya sharp.
take em!
OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 19:35
You can Google : Remington 700 trigger adjustment. There are lots of links on how to adjust one.   Good Luck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic