OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

seating primers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: seating primers
    Posted: February/15/2008 at 23:02
The book that I read said to seat primers .005 below the case head.  I'm not sure if case head is the right phrase, but you understand.  I've also been told to seat them even with the "whatever".  Is it possible to seat them too far, cause when I seat them they all seem to hit the bottom of the pocket and stop.  If that's the case how is it possible to seat them too far.  I haven't had any problems so I assume that I am seating them at the correct depth.  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 07:37
oh you can crush them if you over do it, i seat mine just below flush with the case head you dont want them past flush to the outside of course but i take mine just a hair past flush

Edited by pyro6999 - February/16/2008 at 07:37
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 08:15
the 3 small feet of the primer anvil should set against the bottom of the primer pocket. so when the firing pin crushes the top some of the energy is not used up by finishing reseating the primer. primers are seated slightly below the horizon of the the base, so mechanical devices like the bolt, will not slam fire the load, before full lock up.

Edited by Dale Clifford - February/16/2008 at 08:16
niles coyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niles coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 01:50
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

the 3 small feet of the primer anvil should set against the bottom of the primer pocket. so when the firing pin crushes the top some of the energy is not used up by finishing reseating the primer. primers are seated slightly below the horizon of the the base, so mechanical devices like the bolt, will not slam fire the load, before full lock up.

Very true, you will hear and read guys saying to seat by feel. You seat the primers until you feel them stop on the back of the primer pocket. You can also get a primer pocket uniformer that will ensure that the pockets are all square and at the same depth too, if thats important to you.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 08:55
I seat my primers about the thickness of a piece of paper below flush.  Yes, seating is done by feel, and the primer pocket uniformer is a nice little tool as well.  Concur that seating primers too deep risks crushing the primer. 
MOJO
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:01
When I first started reloading that was one of the things that I had the most trouble getting used to, trying to get the feel of seating the primers properly and with what motion to use on the ram arm.  All the guys are right, pyro6999 and rifledude basically taught me how to reload and I have never looked back.  One more thing, make sure you put the primer in the pocket correctly.  It might sound silly, but even now, every now and then, I will put one in the wrong way and seat it and not realize it until I have checked all my cartridges as I am cleaning up.  Now I check all my primers and their seating, just after priming all of the cartridges before charging them.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:09
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

When I first started reloading that was one of the things that I had the most trouble getting used to, trying to get the feel of seating the primers properly and with what motion to use on the ram arm.  All the guys are right, pyro6999 and rifledude basically taught me how to reload and I have never looked back.  One more thing, make sure you put the primer in the pocket correctly.  It might sound silly, but even now, every now and then, I will put one in the wrong way and seat it and not realize it until I have checked all my cartridges as I am cleaning up.  Now I check all my primers and their seating, just after priming all of the cartridges before charging them.

When you say every now and then you put one in the wrong way, do you mean upside down?  I'm very careful with every step.  Sometimes so careful that I sometimes start questioning myself even though I know that I've done everything right.  I have to tell myself "You've done everything right, stupid", and continue on.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:12
Yep, upside down.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2008 at 11:14
my dads old rcbs jr2 was notorious for flipping primers my new rock chucker IV is way  better hasnt happened yet, not even to my bro in law who i just started teaching, so im happy
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic