OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

agonizing choice finally ends !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Countryscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: agonizing choice finally ends !
    Posted: February/15/2008 at 00:04
I would like to think everybody this past year who has helped in my research to find the right optic for my rifle and all the information I've obtained from using this forum. SWFA was gracious enough to match their competitor and now I'm looking for the little brown truck to arrive! Yippee

After many months of comtemplating, I choose the IOR 2.5-10 tactical in the SFP to be mounted on my Sendero .300 RUM. I also have rings and bases on the way from Glen Seekins to merge the two together. Gunsmith called just today saying my sendero is all tricked out so life is good!

Special thanks to Koskin, Rifledude and Catt- Tracker:) thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 03:20
Best of luck!!
Please post pics. Big%20Smile
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 06:17
I might add EXCELLENT CHOICE, The Dark Lord will de proud. I know I am.
PICTURES!!!!!!!!
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 08:48
A .300 RUM with a Tactical scope............ is this a sniper/target set up?

Can you share some info about the rings and bases...... I've never heard of them.
take em!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 09:18
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

A .300 RUM with a Tactical scope............ is this a sniper/target set up?

The advantage to a tactical type scope is they can be used for any type of shooting.  Unlike a basic hunting scope which can only be used for the simplest types of shooting. 

Great choice on the optic, you will enjoy the IOR

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 09:23
the 300rum is starting to gain popularity with swat folks
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 10:03
Be sure and post pics of your new setup, countryscape!Smile
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
fmullegun View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmullegun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 17:35
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

The advantage to a tactical type scope is they can be used for any type of shooting.  Unlike a basic hunting scope which can only be used for the simplest types of shooting. 

yeah hunters love tall windage and elevation target knobs, and complicated reticules
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 00:16
Originally posted by fmullegun fmullegun wrote:

yeah hunters love tall windage and elevation target knobs, and complicated reticules

Howdy  I know that I do, at least on a beanfield rifle!

Actually, I should clarify that by saying that I don't like tall knobs and complicated reticles in and of themselves, but accept them as a necessary evil for the specialized functions they perform.

Edited by RONK - February/16/2008 at 00:23
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 00:48

Ya, those mildot reticles are so complicated, I can never figure out which dot to use.  Whacko
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

fmullegun View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmullegun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 02:13

Ya, those mildot reticles are so complicated, I can never figure out which dot to use.  Whacko

I am arguing your point that for all purposes a tactical scope is better than a hunting scope.

right tool for the job
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 11:22
I didn't say they are better for all purposes.  I said they can be used for all types of shooting.  Where as a most hunting type scopes are limited to basic putting the crosshair on the target and pulling the trigger.  With a hunting scope ranging abilities are pretty much non existent, quick and easy windage and elevations adjustments are much more complicated and harder to remember and get back to your zero point.  You can't use the reticle for predetermined holdover points for different distances.  With a tactical scope you can do all of those things and using it as a point and shoot only scope. 
But back to my initial point, a 300 RUM is a long range round and to get the most of that particular round you will need to be able to make adjustments for distance and windage and be able to accurately judge distances.  Thus my point of Countryscape making a good choice going with a precision rifle scope for that particular round/gun.   It can be used for what ever type of shooting he chooses to do.  And if at times he just wants to use it as a basic hunting scope it will perform that prefectly and that particular reticle in that scope has a very good aiming point and makes basic shooting very easy.

fmullegun View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmullegun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 14:21

for many reasons a hunting scope is BETTER for hunting than a "tactical" scope

Nice rifle though, way to much for my recoil sensitive shoulderBaby
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 11:18

for many reasons a hunting scope is BETTER for many TYPES of hunting than a "tactical" scope

( Fixed it for you!)
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 20:55

for many reasons a hunting scope is BETTER for hunting than a "tactical" scope

You're still trying to argue I point I never contested.  Wink

Countryscape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Countryscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 18:50
Hello, folks

This flu bug has really kicked my tail end but would like to say thanks for your encouragement and imput over my scope. The IOR arrived last night and after careful observation and consideration, decided to send it back to SWFA in exchange for the same scope with the FFP and illuminated reticle.

I couldn't have asked for a better evening to evaluate this optic than last night. Typical Oregon winter, raining and dark. The scope itself seems very rugged and balanced, appealing to my eyes, anyway. As soon as I looked into the glass, I realized how nice the optic were and why so many people are impressed with its resolution and brightness. The color seemed natural, comparable to looking through my Swarovski SLC binos. Myself, I like the idea of capped target turrets.  When I need to adjust the turrets while in the field, it would most likely be at a distance where ample time to take the caps off wouldn't be an issue. The caps should help prevent the turrets from moving by mistake and maybe keep the clicks from getting gummed up with dirt and dust over time.

My first disappointment was the MP-8 reticle. It is the old style, no floating dot in the center... just like the example that is on the IOR web site. No one fron SWFA could seem to tell me what models are offered with the new reticle? I assumed that their example (which is supplied to SWFA in an advertising disk) was current. But getting past that, I still realized the scope was a really good value and continued  my experiment as I swiftly continued to lose daylight.  At one point, still within shooting light, the MP-8 reticle just washed out so that none of the lines could be seen. If there would have been a target I wanted to shoot, I could have made out every inch of it in detail but wouldn't have been able to line it up with the extremely fine reticle! I was able to adjust the eye piece by turning it in and this did bring the reticle into view a little better, but it also took the resolution out of focus .

I'm thinking that the FFP, even though the turrets will be in mils, will help solve this major problem. The scope is only a 10x and I really don't think the increased reticle in relationship to power will be an issue after seeing just how fine this reticle is to begin with. I do like the precision of the reticle but you still need to be able to see it, regardless if the scope is designed for tactical or hunting. If I can get this problem solved, I think this scope will work just fine for what I wanting it to do:)

The FFP model is currently back ordered if any of you care to change my mind! lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic