OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sauer 202 outback, Steyr Pro Hunter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sauer 202 outback, Steyr Pro Hunter
    Posted: February/14/2008 at 15:49
Sauer 202 outback, Steyr Pro Hunter stainless

Does anyone have any experience with these guns, and if so what is your opinion on them. 

Also does anyone know if Sauer makes a rifle in stainless?
Any information would be appreciated
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 17:36
Hey, texashunter!

I own a Sauer 200, which is the predecessor to the 202.  It has the same basic action, with only a couple minor differences, such as slightly different receiver profile and the addition of a safety indicator on the tang.  The main difference betwen the current model 202 and the 200 is the stock style.  These rifles have a "full diameter" 6-lug bolt.  By "full diameter," I mean that the bolt body is the same diameter as the o.d. of the locking lugs, much like a Weatherby MK V bolt or the new T/C Icon.  This results in extremely smooth bolt travel, since there is no need for locking lug races to be broached into the action and the result is also less bolt wobble when fully retracted.  The 6 lug on 120-deg centers config also means a short 60-deg bolt throw.  The trigger is also very nice, and mine (which is chambered in .308) is a real tackdriver!  There are a couple of very unique design features of this rifle.  First, the bolt lugs lock up directly inside the barrel shank, rather than in receiver abutments.  Therefore, the receiver is an unstressed part whose only job is to hold the bolt, trigger assy, and magazine in their proper relation to each other and provide something for the buttstock and forend to attach to.  The buttstock and forend are separate pieces.  It is an exceedingly well-made rifle!  The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that there is no bolt unlock feature while the safety is engaged, so to unload the chamber, you have to disengage the safety.  Not a real big deal if you practice safe gun handling anyway, except for the fact the safety disengage button is located inside the trigger housing, in front of and right next to the trigger!  It seems to me that this isn't exactly the safest design for unloading the rifle and is unforgiving of carelessness.  However, it is a very convenient safety location when you're about to take a shot at game.  I also prefer hinged floorplates to detachable magazines on bolt action rifles, but I don't feel that strongly about it either way as long as the rest of the rifle is accurate, well made, and has features I like.

A buddy of mine has the Steyr Pro Hunter.  It's a nice, very well-made rifle as well, and has some of the same virtues as the Sauer.  I personally like the Sauer better though, probably because I have more experience shooting it than I do the Steyr.

Here is a closeup of my Sauer 200:
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 18:16
Originally posted by texashunter texashunter wrote:

Also does anyone know if Sauer makes a rifle in stainless?

I don't believe they do, but they advertise their M202 Classic Synthetic, Outback, and Hardwood models as having a "polymer coating" on the steel, by which I take to mean some sort of Teflon coating.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
texashunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 18:43
how do you think the polymer coating would hold up against rust?
Just out of curiosity where did you purchase yours at?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 13:06

hows the accuracy on your buddies steyr prohunter?

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 16:17

how do you think the polymer coating would hold up against rust?
Just out of curiosity where did you purchase yours at?

I've had 2 different rifles teflon coated, and they are extremely rust resistant.  In fact, as long as there are no bare spots where the teflon is worn away, it actually has better corrosion resistance than stainless steel, which, by the way, CAN rust if you don't take care of it.  SS is not rust proof, it is rust resistant.  The teflon finish is quite tough, but it isn't quite as tough as some of the newer high tech finishes like Cerakote.  I don't know if it is teflon they are using, as they only call it a "polymer coating" which could be one of a number of finishes.

I bought mine through a distributor, Ellett Brothers, back in 1987.  Back then, Sauer only offered 2 model choices, the "200 American" and "200 European" instead of the several models now offered in the 202.  Mine is the American.  You can call their importer, Sigarms, and they can tell you where the closest stocking dealer is to you.  You might also find one for sale at gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 16:27

hows the accuracy on your buddies steyr prohunter?

His is in .308 as well, and best I remember, its accuracy hovered right at around 1MOA, maybe a little less.  But, as with all factory rifles, your mileage may vary and what this one sample does may not be indicative of the performance of another.

My Sauer happens to be extremely accurate.  With 45.0 gr. 4064 behind a good 150 gr. bullet, or 42.5 gr. 4064 behind a good 165 gr. bullet, I've been able to easily get 0.5 - 0.6 MOA.  Varget and 748 has given good accuracy out of this rifle as well.  It doesn't seem to be too fussy on load data.

Edited by RifleDude - February/16/2008 at 22:33
Ted

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 15:09
How do you think the steyr prohunter stainless verson and the sauer synthetic are compared to the Sako's ?
Im just trying to narrow it down to the rifle I am going to try and buy in a 300 win mag.
thanks
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 22:27
Last time I called Sigarms (about 6 months ago) they didn't import the Sauer 202 anymore.  Only place I found some was Canada - can't remember the store though. 
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 22:47

How do you think the steyr prohunter stainless verson and the sauer synthetic are compared to the Sako's ?
Im just trying to narrow it down to the rifle I am going to try and buy in a 300 win mag.
thanks

Tough to say.  They all have distinctly different personalities, yet all 3 are fine rifles.  It's said so often that it has become a cliche, but it's true -- you really can't go wrong with any of them.  I personally don't care for the Sako 85 synthetic stock design, so I would favor one of the other 2 if I were looking for a synthetic stocked model.  In wood stocked versions, it would be a more difficult decision.  I like features of all 3 rifles.  All have very good triggers, smooth bolt operation, and generally good accuracy.

So, pick the one that feels and looks best to you and has more of the features you like.
Ted

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texashunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2008 at 01:46
They now have a distributer in flordia that sends them to bass pros in Las vages and Arizona
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 20:44
I have a Steyr pro hunter in 6.5X57, not a stainless model but the matt duracoat type metal finish seems to be very tough. It is the most accurate out of the box rifle that I have owned. This inculdes Sako's Winchester 70s and Remington 7/700s. I have not owned a Sauer.  No reservations in giving the Steyr a recommendation.  
Alagator View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alagator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 15:48
I have the Steyr Prohunter Stainless Synthetic Stock in 7mm Rem Mag (same size as the 300 mag). It is a big rifle-- a little over 47 inches, due to the 25.6 inch barrel, and it is heavy--about 8.2 pounds without scope, sling, or ammunition. I like the ergonomics on the stock, but the forend is flimsy-- for best bench accuracy you need to rest it just about where your hand would be in offhand. The removable stock spacers make it very easy to adjust length of pull. To me the 3-position tang safety is very natural and easy to use. The trigger is a dream, right out of the box. They claim it is adjustable, but won't tell you how to do it. This guy will, if you send him a signed disclaimer www.frfrogspad.com . If you remove the stock, you will need a torque wrench to get it back to around 70 inch-pounds. If you get an older one the bolt lift will be too much for an easy quick second shot-- the same guy www.frfrogspad.com can swap out the bolt cam for a new model. Better yet, try before you buy-- the new ones lift with a finger, the old ones took a palm slap. As for accuracy, mine will shoot just slightly less than 1 moa with factory ammunition, old eyes, a shaky rest, and big fat hunting crosshairs. It kills deer, and it is a pleasure to use if you don't have to carry it all day. For that I've got the Prohunter Mountain in 270.  Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic