OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Most durable set up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most durable set up
    Posted: February/14/2008 at 07:44

What are the toughest most durable ring and base set up?

I have been arguing over the last few days with some one over this topic.

I feel a good picatinny rail with badger or Burris tactical rings are. He thinks dove tale or stronger.

What are ya’ll thoughts on this?

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 09:16
BTT any info?

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 10:19
a surgeon action (rail built into the action) with 6 screw rings, seekins, or burris.  3 of them

forgot to add that its academic because most are held on by 4 teeny tiny screws.

Edited by Dale Clifford - February/14/2008 at 10:21
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 10:27
My Leupold dual dovetail are a precise tight fit. The stud that the dovetail is on is not very large. Good enough for hunting, certainly.
I trust my Talley QD set ups more.
I don't think dovetails compare to rails with heavy duty tactical rings. There is a lot of clamping area on a set up like that. Good enough for any use, certainly.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 10:37

It was a heated subject. He told me the rail was a cheap set up and than he wouls put one on his gun ever and that they are cheap.

I proved him wrong about the cheap part.but he was still in a up roar about me not likeing dove tail.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 13:07
Yep, it's a real cheap set up

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 13:08
Yup I guess some people are set in there ways.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 18:57

Both are far stronger than they need to be for any normal handling up to and including tactical use and tough mountain hunts.

In fact, I often wonder if it isn't actually better to have a somewhat weak base/ring interface on an expensive rifle with an expensive scope mounted to it.  My reasoning is that if it does get kicked by a mule, the scope would pop off the rifle before the tube got bent or the receiver of the rifle got sprung, or both...
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 08:52
Ronk,
Thats a good point. But when I drove over my rifle and SS i'm glad it did pop off.If it would have I would have been stuck for an evening hunt. I shot it once it hit where I amied and I was good to go.The next day I did a very detailed look over shot it many times and box tested it and it was just the way I had hoped it to be after I monster trucked it. Everything was perfect.So after that I(my opinon) that a picatinny rail with burris tactical rings is about the strongest out there.I feel that anything else wouldn't have stood up to the 37 inch tall tire with a extra cab Z71 running over it.
So i guess with my little field test I have a stronger side for what I'm using.

But it has made for an interresting ( very heated) debate at the gun shop.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 18:37
Hmm lets see the Army and Marines use the picatinny rail and tac rings and they drag their's through the mud, and I may be wrong but isn't there a possibility that every time you take off and install a dovetail it causes wear to the stud and base. When you install or remove a ring from a picatinny rail the only wear might be to the screws which can be replaced, and the picatinny rail has been used since 1913. I'm no ex-pert, or current-pert, just a pre-pert. I'm gonna have side with Bigdaddy, for what it's worth.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2008 at 18:55
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Hmm lets see the Army and Marines use the picatinny rail and tac rings and they drag their's through the mud, and I may be wrong but isn't there a possibility that every time you take off and install a dovetail it causes wear to the stud and base. When you install or remove a ring from a picatinny rail the only wear might be to the screws which can be replaced, and the picatinny rail has been used since 1913. I'm no ex-pert, or current-pert, just a pre-pert. I'm gonna have side with Bigdaddy, for what it's worth.

If it's installed with a dab of grease, wear will be very minimal on a rotary dovetail stud with removal and reinstallation.
 If it eventually becomes loose, a staking tap or two with a center punch will tighten it right back up.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 15:55
Thanks for the tip RONK.
Thats why I like this, I get to learn.
I agree that both systems are probably stronger than they need to be, and it would probably take an engineer or three to explain which is the strongest, mechanically. When it comes to installation, I think the picatinny rail and rings are easier to install correct and straight and reinstall with the same zero if needed. This is an advantge as I see it.
Any mechanical engineers out there?
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 19:44

I prefer Picatinny systems for a lot of reasons, but single dovetail systems (Rotary Dovetails such as Leupold Standards) are quite strong and windage- adjustable.  Leupold Dual Dovetail systems are  much stronger than the Standards, but are not windage- adjustable.  They are also a real pain to swap out, requiring complete disassembly.  They are very neat and clean-looking.
 There are many manufacturers of all these systems and some of them certainly make mounts that are much stronger than do others, even of the same style or type.
 A testing lab would probably need to stress-to-falure a couple hundred sets of rings and bases to come up with any really valid comparisons...
 I think the base screws would break off the rifle first, on a good many of them!

Edited by RONK - February/29/2008 at 19:46
Ring Master View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master of the Rings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ring Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 22:12
If dovetails were the stronger of the two, then all the gun companies have committed a huge mistake by offering those cheap weak Picatinny & Weaver style bases and rails that I have on all five of my tactical rifles. There's a reason one doesn't see many Ruger Tactical rifles after all, Ruger has captive dovetail.

RM
Ron
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic