OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

trimming cases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trimming cases
    Posted: February/13/2008 at 21:55
Do you guys trim cases after each shot, or do you wait until they reach a certain length before you trim.  Also, what  do you use to trim your cases.  I got a lee case trimmer.  It cost about 5 dollars, but you have to buy a shell holder and gauge pin for each caliber.  I'm not sure if that makes sense, but you use a drill and place the shell in the holder attached to the drill, and the cutter is attached to the pin thing.  It seems to work.  
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 07:51
CKK,

I use the said lee trimmer also it's a great tool.

I trim my cases after every shot. I do this so every case is the same in ever way possible. Now, when trimming some need more than others and I try to separate the cases that need heavy trimming from the one that need light trimming. I’m not sure if it matters but I like to watch the heavier trimmed case for head separation. Just as a caution and a self test. But so far I haven’t been able to tell a difference on if it matters or not. I have shot the cases 15 times and some went out at 5 shots and some have gone out at other shots. I started with 100 cases and I’m now down to 65. but I have got in the habit of trimming after every shot just to keep everything uniform.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 08:08
i check them after i decap and if they need it i do it if they dont i say to hell with it,if your into the ocd cult you do them all the time so everything is uniform
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 08:10
ocd thats for me.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 08:18
i would be for me too but i dont have my own trimmer i have to borrow one from a buddy.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 10:06
I  also trim after every shot.  For some reason its gratifying to see the brass shavings falling on the floor.  I know that the more trimmings I get the shorter the life of the brass, but that doesn't stop me from hoping.  Thats my favorite part of the whole reloading process.  
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 10:14
that brass has to come from somewhere, and its coming from the web area , which gets weaker with each pass. you may want to rethink-- and go to neck sizing only.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 10:29
I'll have to go buy some neck sizing dies.  I'm only loading each cartridge for one rifle, so I guess that would be a smart thing to do.  I've only ever fl resized everything, but I cant imagine it being that difficult to neck size.  You have to buy a separate decapping die right?
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 11:30
I bought a CH4D Power Case Trimmer... Do yourself a favor and don't get this one.  CH4D makes good dies, bad case trimmers. Just my opinion. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 12:27
its just a seperate die
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Brooks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 19:47
Well, on the high end  my friend has a RCBS power trimmer permanently attached to his bench and it really does the job and very rapidly.  The tool also chamfers beautifully.  On the low end some guys chuck the LEE base into a drill or power screw driver and use the LEE cutter attached to a round wood handle into which is screwed the appropriate case length gauge and swear by the method.

You can sort, weigh, check run out, trim necks, trickle--the bench rest shooters are really anal.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 20:12
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

I'll have to go buy some neck sizing dies.  I'm only loading each cartridge for one rifle, so I guess that would be a smart thing to do.  I've only ever fl resized everything, but I cant imagine it being that difficult to neck size.  You have to buy a separate decapping die right?

You can neck-size many cartridges with a conventional die backed off a few turns(?).  As long as it gives part of the neck enough "down-sizing" to give adequate tension to hold the bullet, that's really all you need to do, as long as the cartridge will chamber.  Bolt-actions have the camming power to make neck-sized cartridges chamber more easily than other action types do.
 If you buy a neck-sizing die, don't bother with anything other than the Lee collet die if it is available in your caliber. Best system, hands down, IMO. 

Edited to add: the Lee Collet Die has a de-capping pin.

Edited by RONK - February/14/2008 at 20:15
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 03:19
Dale Clifford and Ronk are right.  There's no need to trim (i.e., chew pieces off your cases) every time you shoot.  This  isn't necessary or appropriate for a hunting rifle.  (If it is, you should see a gunsmith.)

You can get excellent results by simply keeping cases with the individual rifle you are shooting.  This allows them to fireform to that rifle's chamber.  The Lee collet dies do an outstanding job, and aid in this.  When the cases reach or exceed maximum overall length, then it's time to trim them (or think about retiring them).

Benchrest shooters are seeking perfection.  If you are into this, then you will want to work on each individual case until it is as near perfect as you can make it. 

Edited by Longhunter - February/15/2008 at 03:24
okeybug View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okeybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 09:16
I use the RCBS Autotrimmer and it's worked well for me for dthe better part of 10 years.
It's a little pricey but I don't trim everytime I shoot.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 17:26
If I understand this correct, neck sizing will help in case life, and it is not necessary to trim after each shot.  It shouldn't be trimmed until it reaches the maximum case length.  Even if I neck size, I will still have to trim eventually, right?  Does it hurt anything to trim after each shot?  I don't see how it would, but I could be wrong.  I only trim a little each time until the length is the "trim to length"  measurement.  Sometimes when I trim, there are a few that don't trim at all, and some the trim a little.  It would seem that a uniform length would help with accuracy.  Let me know what you think.  
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 17:27
If I understand this correct, neck sizing will help in case life, and it is not necessary to trim after each shot.  It shouldn't be trimmed until it reaches the maximum case length.  Even if I neck size, I will still have to trim eventually, right?  Does it hurt anything to trim after each shot?  I don't see how it would, but I could be wrong.  I only trim a little each time until the length is the "trim to length"  measurement.  Sometimes when I trim, there are a few that don't trim at all, and some the trim a little.  It would seem that a uniform length would help with accuracy.  Let me know what you think.  
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 17:28
OOPS.  
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 22:47
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

I pretty much agree with your take on the whole thing.
Neck-sizing MAY help extend brass life, but that depends a lot on other factors such as chamber dimensions, brass hardness/ductility, the pressures you're running, etc. In most of my rifles, for example, the primer pockets will generally loosen up after repeated firings before I ever have to discard brass due to incipient case head seperation problems cased by stretched cases.
 I personally neck-size as much for accuracy as I do so to extend case life. The only downside to neck-sizing I know of is that you have less leeway to easily chamber a round in a stressful situation than you do with full-length-sized cartridges. If your ammo gets a little dirt on it , it may not chamber.  This is why you probably should full-length size any ammo used for combat or for hunting other dangerous game.
 It doesn't hurt to trim every time you load, it just makes a little more work. I do it because I use the Lee trimmer as a gage to check length. In other words I can trim my brass in only a little more time than it would take me to check the length with another type of gage. As a bonus it squres up the case mouth nicely every time, which I think has some merit, accuracy-wise. Another two seconds chamfer and de-burr the case mouth.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 22:56
Thanks Ronk.  I'm gonna try neck sizing, and continue to trim each case, cause I agree that for me it takes about the same amount of time to trim as is does to measure.  I have also noticed that after about 6 reloads the primers seat very easily.  Probably too easy.  I was a little nervous shooting the 6th reload, cause of the ease that the primer seated.  I threw them away after that.  I guess if the primer pockets give out before the rest of the case the only advantage to neck sizing is possibly more accuracy.  By the way what do you guys use to seat primers.  I use the built in thingy on my RCBS press.  I have seen other devices used to seat primers, but haven't heard if they are worth the money.  
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 23:41
 Once again, Lee comes through with another innovation for priming. They make a hand-held device that has a primer tray/flipper attached to it. You insert the correct shellholder, (special shellholders required for this tool, maybe a buck apiece?), dump a box of primers into it, pop the lid on the tray, shake them to flip them downside up or whatever, and start priming by squeezing the pliers-like handle. You can prime a hundred cases in five minutes. Hornady now makes a similar one that appears to be sturdier, but I've not seen one yet. I'm not sure, but I think that the Hornady one uses standard shellholders. Check that one out, too.
 There are also some real pricey ones out there that employ a dial indicator to confirm depth of seating.  K&M Markel, perhaps?
 I seat by feel, trying to gage when I've "set" the primer by very slightly pressing the anvil of the primer into it's cup, after bottoming out in the pocket.  It takes some practice to get a knack for it, but it's important to squash the primer, ever- so- slightly for maximum reliability. It ensures that none of the energy of the firing- pin strike is wasted on seating the primer before the pellet of priming compound is crushed under the anvil. 
 I mill my primer pockets to a consistent depth with another specialty tool, so it is no great trick to get pretty fair consistency of depth on feel alone. 
 Having said all that, I'm not sure if it isn't better to use a tool such as Forster's bench mounted priming tool,which primes to a consistent depth mechanically, with no regard for the "feel" I mentioned earlier. If the pockets are milled beforehand, that may be the best way.  My way woks fine, but I'm not certain it's the "best" way....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic