OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest reticle
    Posted: February/13/2008 at 06:01
  I have concerns about the reticle size in my 3-12x56 Conquest with #8 reticle. Trying to develop a bullet load for my 7 mm SAUM  I found the reticle covered the entire 1 inch diameter bullseye on my targets at 12x magnification. Had to really concentrate on a corner of the target rather than the bullseye to aim at a smaller point for acquiring a tight group. Probably won't be as much of a concern when hunting as shooting at paper. Any suggestions or am I being too particular?
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 06:24
Doesn't surprise at all, thats a pretty bold reticle for low light use. You will simply have to use a larger square or round bullseye to allow for the thick center posts that are intended for showing up in fading or very low light. The #43 is their fine crosshair and even the Z=Plez would give you a finer aiming point for target use at higher power. However they would not do what you may want in dimmer light. I guess its truly one of those things where it can't be optimum for both purposes.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 07:06
Turn the power down to 6X would be my suggestion.  Smile   --Ed
doctor duck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 07:14
 I think I saw somewhere that Zeiss would change the reticle for a fee. Any idea about the fee or the results?  If I turn my magnification down , I can't see the bullseye as well but the crosshairs are smaller. I wish these were in the second focal plane so they would stay the same size. Thanks for the relies.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 08:20

ffp would help a bunch but i would check into the reticle swap

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 08:32
I talked to a guy Sunday @ my range that had a reticle swap done on a 3-9x Conquest, but I didn't ask where it was done.
samspade View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 11:12
Get the Redfield sighting in targets. They have a big red diamond center and crosshair overlay lines that will solve your issue. Works fine with my old Pecar 4-10 that has "growing crosshairs".
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 15:54
 Pyro6999, what does ffp mean?  I will check out the redfield targets. Thanks.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 15:57
 First focal plane . My bad.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 21:02
You can send the scope in to Zeiss for a reticle change for a fee of $75, but I don't know if that is what I would recommend. If this is a hunting rifle when you need to see at the last minute of shooting light you might want that heavy reticle. Its your choice, just providing information. Log on to Zeiss's website for more info on the reticle change.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 12:11
Try different target styles. I really like #10044, 10036and 10019 on www.targetz.com just download and print. you can find all types of targets to fit most types of shooting conditions.   
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 14:28
Originally posted by doctor duck doctor duck wrote:

I have concerns about the reticle size in my 3-12x56 Conquest with #8 reticle. Trying to develop a bullet load for my 7 mm SAUM  I found the reticle covered the entire 1 inch diameter bullseye on my targets at 12x magnification. Had to really concentrate on a corner of the target rather than the bullseye to aim at a smaller point for acquiring a tight group. Probably won't be as much of a concern when hunting as shooting at paper. Any suggestions or am I being too particular?

You don't need 12x for developing hunting loads at 100 yds!  Turn the power down and you'll be just find.  If your needs change and you want this to be a target rifle, then you would want a different reticle or different scope!
take em!
antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 22:07
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Originally posted by doctor duck doctor duck wrote:

You don't need 12x for developing hunting loads at 100 yds!  Turn the power down and you'll be just find.  If your needs change and you want this to be a target rifle, then you would want a different reticle or different scope!

+1 for what Tip says.........I always jacked up my power for sighting in, till an old timer taught me how to use a scope!  At 100 yards 4X should be the max for sighting in for a hunting rifle, if not time to take up fishingBig%20Grin.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 05:47
 Well I like to fish but I ain't gonna quit hunting till my eyes get a lot worse than they are now.
When I was 20 yrs. old I didn't need a scope. When I was 30 I used 4x. When I was 40 I used 3-9x. Now i am 56 and 12x does fine. If I turn my scope down to 4 power I can't shoot a 1/2 inch group at 100 yards you might but not me. I can turn my scope up to 12x and I can shoot more accurately cause I can see better. The trouble is my crosshair grows when turned to 12x and when it grows it conceals more of the bullseye. Since I started this thread I have found a different target and am fine with my scope. I can't see how anyone can see as well on 4 power as 12 power. Maybe you could explain your method of sighting in to me.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 05:57
 3_ tens , thanks for the link to the free targets I'll be using them and saving a few bucks for more bullets.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic