OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best brand of brass for .25-06?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardca99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best brand of brass for .25-06?
    Posted: February/12/2008 at 23:08
Any recommendations?  Thus far, I've only found Remington and Winchester, but of these two, which are best?  Any other brands I should consider?
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 06:51
Well this will probably stir up some poo but I much prefer winchester brass over remington. They usually have better case capacity, the necks are less prone to split, and they are not as bad for weight being all over the place. That said it I'm sure it doesn't hold true for all chamberings, my experience has been with 260, 7mm-08, 308, and 22-250. If you want brass that is head and shoulders above the average quality brass try lapaua if they make brass in your chambering. Norma and nosler also sell very nice brass for more $ that will usually last longer and be more uniform. Norma does sometimes spit out a batch of soft stuff. Its argued that at the price difference you can just buy more win or rem and sort and cull it to a more uniform weight variance and simply match prep it to bring it up to premium standards. Go winchester or in this case you would have to neck down 30-06 brass to get lapua or norma. Just my opinion......

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
richardca99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardca99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 07:51
Honestly, I've yet to find brass for the .25-06 made by anyone other than Remington or Winchester.  I was hoping that Norma made it, but it appears that they don't.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 08:09
dave: i will agree with you 100% on that winchesters brass has been great to me, where i have fun into problems with remingtons brass is in my 6.5rem mag i dont know how many cases i have bought for it in the last two years probably 200-300 and out of that bunch i have had to anneal 3/4 of them because they were so briddle they cracked on the first firing. im intrested to see how this .264 brass i have works as it looks similar to the 6.5 rem brass i bought as well and it too is rem brass. i would prefer win brass as well
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 11:12
Quote Go winchester or in this case you would have to neck down 30-06 brass to get lapua or norma. Just my opinion......

They don't make norma or lapua in 25-06.......you would have to neck down 30-06 like the first dudes that came up with the 25-06 did.....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 14:40
i have had to anneal 3/4 of them.    What does that mean?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 14:43
briddle brass, its hard, so it cracks very easy, unlike steel which gets harder when heated brass is the exact opposite, so you heat it to make it soft again so it doesnt brake, and trust me without an anealing tray it sucks to do it by hand cause you basically burn your index finger and thumb every shell you do. it really sucks, they say you can also anneal your cases to make them last longer after they have been shot and reloader a few times
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic