OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex -VS- Big 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samhill79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex -VS- Big 3
    Posted: February/12/2008 at 18:40
Hey guys

I was in a gun store the other day and they sell Vortex bino's.  I have never seen them before and the sales guy said they were awesome so i decided to take a look.  I was told they have the same warranty as Leica maybe better according to the sales guy.  I didnt verify ....should have but ...I just didnt think about it.  So here it is: I was able to take them outside and campare them to an older/used but mostly clean pair of Leica 8x42 Geovids. I also used the high end line of Vortex 8X42's aswell.  It was about 4:00PM MST, overcast, and cold.  I was in the city so I could view buildings and distant mountains. Not Ideal I know but ....

IMO the Vortex glasses were super impressive for the price.  The clarity to me in this setting was equal to the Geovids. 

Now for the disclaimer, I have a pair of Ultravids 10X50 that I bought from SWFA about 3 years ago and love them. 

Well, after I noticed that they are about the same but much lighter than the Lieca's I started to freak out a touch and I never even looked at the difference between the two in Field of View (FOV) so I suck basically.

What does anyone else know or think concerning these binos.  I would love to compar them in different scenearios like in low light, high temp days with heat wave distortion, and wet conditions but I am not going to buy a pair just for testing so any of you guys that know anything the big 3 and Vortex it would be cool to hear your side.     In truth I just want someone to to tell me that I am the coolest, wisest person for buying my Lieca's and that Vortex sucks........but I am willing to hear the truth if it is indeed truth.....
Fatty and skinny went to bed, fatty rolled over and skinny was dead.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 08:41
You must be talking about the Razors. I have recently used a friends pair of 8x42's and am really impressed. I have 7x42 Zeiss and also use Swarovski and Leica 7x42's. I've only compared them to my Zeiss and for the price I think they are outstanding. I won't be getting rid of mine for a pair, though. Mine fit my hand better and I think the resolution, contrast and light transmission are a bit better.  If I was in the market for a new pair, they would get serious consideration.
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 17:00
I looked at Vortx at their factory store in Madison.  Very very impressed. I'd say the Viper is about as good as you can get for it's money ($500). Likewise, I'd say the Razor is as good as you can get for that money ($750).
As to the warranty, definately the best.  They told me simply - It breaks - we fix or replace. Period.
Per their web site:

The VIP warranty is a Very Important Promise to you ... because you are a very important person to us. Each Vortex binocular, spotting scope and riflescope is built to last, and unconditionally guaranteed with our commitment to your absolute satisfaction. You can count on service under our VIP warranty ... it is:

• Unlimited
  • Unconditional
  • Transferable
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 17:46
I have both a Leica Trinovid 8X50 and a Vortex Razor 8X42.  The Razor holds its own against the Trinovid.  It's a great binocular, and I honestly doubt you will find better optical performance for the money.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Lobber View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lobber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 10:28

I'd looked through a heck of alot of glass trying to decide what high end bino I was going to buy. I figured that it might be the last set I ever bought. After all my looking and researching, plus reading RD's and SamC's write-ups on the Razor I broke down and bought a pair of 10x42s. I'm going to echos RD's last sentence above.

As a side note, I went down to Oklahoma this last week for a few days of hog hunting and 10x sucks if you're going to be glassing through a windshield.  
Hey guys watch this, see that Prairie Dog waaay out there?
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 18:49
RD and I posted about the Razors about a year ago. I believe both experiences were with the 8x42. In my opinion, optically, they were very comparable to the Leica Trinovids in terms of sharpness, CA control and color representation. Their 411 foot field of view beats most of the Alphas glasses and for about half the price. The only "negative" I have ever heard is that the earlier models had a fairly rough focusing wheel. The two pairs that I owned did not and I would recommend them without question to someone looking for high end performance without having to pay the high end price.

FWIW Vortex customer service and warranty is the best I have ever dealt with. They do repair or replace and within an extremely short time frame...a week or two at worst.
Frank
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 19:44
Originally posted by FrankD FrankD wrote:

FWIW Vortex customer service and warranty is the best I have ever dealt with. They do repair or replace and within an extremely short time frame...a week or two at worst.

I experienced the same thing with Leupold.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 13:08
Vortex, Leupold, and Svarovski have provided to me unbelievable customer service and warranty work. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic