OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help Pick New Scope Mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Pick New Scope Mounts
    Posted: February/11/2008 at 11:02
Howdy all.  You'll see this is my first post - thanks for all the help I've already recieved from reading this forum...

I just bought a new Kahles CL 4-12x52 nonmultizero to put on my favorite rifle, a custom Rem 700 with blue action, matte stainless 26"  Shilen No. 5 taper barrel, black McMillan stock in the Rem 700 classic pattern.

It is chambered in 280 Rem Ackley Improved.

What mounts/rings do you think would look and work best on this rig?  Why?

Texas
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 11:11
you do realize you posted this in the riflescope area right? we do have a rings and bases area too, sounds like a nice setup 280AI is hot right now!!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 13:37
BTW... how does a .280AI compare to a 7mm Rem. Mag?
take em!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 14:01
I'm kinda partial to the talley lightweights, combination bases and rings. Also use a lot of burris signiture rings with the inserts on warne or grand slam bases. Both good set-ups.....the talleys are lighter in weight if that is a consideration.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 14:02
Sorry about my choice of forum areas - I just wanted those who convinced me to look at Kahles to have a chance to answer on this question... should I repost in the other area?

The Ackley runs about 50-100 fps slower than the 7 Rem Mag with equal bullet weights and bearing surfaces, but with roughly 80% less powder eroding the throat of your hi-$ custom barrel.  Besides, EVERYBODY has a 7mag...LOL!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 15:11
does that mean it has less recoil?
take em!
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 15:37

Recoil feels about the same as 7mag to me, but so does my 220 Swift feel about the same - I'm kind of a big boy.  Other folks tell me the 280 Ackley is nicer to shoot, though.

I'm looking for pics of Talley rings and bases now... I was actually thinking about matte Burris Signature rings already, but on Leupy bases.  I used this setup in dual dovetail rings on another rifle when they were called Posalign rings.  Any other opinions?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 15:57
I like the Talley steel QD's. I just ordered another pair.

Edited by tahqua - February/11/2008 at 16:01
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 16:07
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

BTW... how does a .280AI compare to a 7mm Rem. Mag?
almost a dead ringer with no belt! so the recoil on the .280AI should be comparable with a 30-06 i would say, my .280 isnt bad to shoot at all and when the tube dies i might punch it out to a .280AI myself since nosler started making brass for it, .280AI is hot right now im telling you hot

Edited by pyro6999 - February/11/2008 at 16:09
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 16:33
Should be able to find pics on their website.

Focus

Edited by Focus - February/11/2008 at 16:39
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Treestand56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treestand56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 16:46
Texas,

The Burris Signature rings are hard to beat. I'm planning on putting a pair on my new rifle next month.

Treestand56
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 19:57
Thanks to all for your help.  In answering questions about the 280 Ackley, I realized I misstated something:  The Ackley uses about 80% of the 7mag powder charge, not 80% less powder.  I'm sure the recoil is less than the 7mag, because less hot gas is exiting the muzzle.  One thing is certain, my Ackley is much more accurate than any 7mag I have shot.

I am looking at Talley rings and bases carefully, although I like the concept of the Burris Signature rings and have found them to work very well for keeping the scope adjustments at a minimum away from centered.  Those Talley screw-lock steel rings sure are sweet looking, though!  Decisions, decisions...

I am just real excited to get the Kahles on the gun and get in the field with it.  The CL replaces a 13-year-old Redfield Five-Star 4-12x42AO, and I am pumped up about  being able to see so much better!  (That's right, this has been my favorite rifle since I took delivery in 1994 - I just never could save up enough for Austrian glass without an emergency rifle purchase gutting the scope fund.  The recent Kahles bargains came along just in time for me!!!)  I'll try to post a photo of the rifle when I get it set up.

Tommy
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 19:58
Hey pyro:

Before the new brass was available, did one need to fire form their own brass?  I do have a .280 myself.  Sorry if I'm in the wrong venue.
MOJO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic