OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ior 10x42

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ior 10x42
    Posted: November/16/2004 at 06:08

I have several IOR scopes (hunting and tacticals) and I love them ....with one exeption:

my 10x42 tactical have a yellow tint image compared with my others IOR ( my ior 2.5-10x42 set at 10x is brighter and more clear than my fixed10x42 ). Is that normal or the scope have a problem ? It is made with the same glass than "new line" IOR I have ?

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2004 at 16:14

a fixed power scope is ussually clearer than a variable, because of less lenses the light has to pass through... diagnosis, its an IOR.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2004 at 17:58

I've never had a problem with an IOR scope.  And I've never heard of a glass problem. Someone I know bought a used IOR scope that was somewhat beat up: looked good optically, but one of the gaskets seemed to have been damaged.  He sent it to IOR and they fixed and returned it free of charge. Admittedly, it was not as fast as fixing a Leupold, but not aweful either.

ots03, give them a call and send it in for repair.

Ilya

ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 12:16

exept for the yellow tint image thay I explain, my 10x42 works great, very strong scope, very good definition, and constant click value.

I love my others IOR, and I never have a problem with this scopes.

Probably 10x42 scope lenses uses diferent coating. It is possible ?? ( the image is exellent but light transmision is lower than my 2.5-10x42 set at 10x )  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 12:34

I twould seem odd to me that IOR would use a different coating on a 10x42 scope.  Is yours an older model?

I know that some older Eastern European scopes had a yellowish tint to them, presumably to help resolution.  Also Swarovski used to have this style of coatings as well: they sacrificed some color rendition to have better reolution.

I think if you call IOR they will be able to answer these questions.

Ilya

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2004 at 19:12
Didnt I read that IOR changed their coatings from Zeiss T* to something else??
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2004 at 13:43
As close as Zeiss guards their T* receipt, I highly doubt they ever shared it with IOR.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2004 at 18:23

Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

As close as Zeiss guards their T* receipt, I highly doubt they ever shared it with IOR.

IOR has advertised for quite some time that they use Zeiss T3 coatings. My IOR dealer has confirmed this to me on several occasions.

Scott Powers at Sniper Country also confirms this in his review of a IOR scope.

http://snipercountry.com/InReviews/IOR10x42_TactScope_SideFo cus.asp

My question was and is, didnt they change to anougher Zeiss coating?

Edited by cheaptrick
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2004 at 14:18
"My question was and is, didnt they change to anougher Zeiss coating?"
Sorry I did not answer your question more directly the first time.

T3 and T* are completely different coatings from two completely different companies.

IOR does not use the famed Zeiss GMB T* coatings, no one does except Zeiss GMB.  IOR does not really even use Zeiss lenses.

During WWII a company named Carl Zeiss Jena manufactured optics for the German military.  They used 23 different factories to do this and some of them were very deep underground.  This technique was used so that bombing would not take out the whole operation.  Carl Zeiss Jena was targeted and bombed two times during WWII unsuccessfully, production was only disrupted for two months.  They had one facility that made the glass, one that ground and polished it, one that made components and one that did final assembly.  After the war the factory that made the glass (ran by Otto Schott) became known as Schott Glass Werks.  Before 1945 and before the war was over these satellite companies were all over one Germany.  After the war, Germany split into East Germany and West Germany.  The original Carl Zeiss Jena was in East Germany. In 1954 defectors from Carl Zeiss Jena started ZEISS GMB in West Germany that has become the Zeiss we know today.

Schott makes raw glass in sheets or blanks not lenses or coated lenses and they sell to anyone that has money.  They currently offer over 200 different kinds of optical glass and a whole lot more for non optical applications.  Just about everyone (including IOR) gets their glass from Schott which is a Zeiss GMB company.  IOR still has to cut, grind, polish and coat their own lenses using one of the over 200 different kinds of optical glass that Schott makes.

As for the coatings, Carl Zeiss Jena was the first to develop a multi-coating some 30 + years ago, they named it T3.  IOR was a sub contractor for Carl Zeiss Jena during the 1970s and made the 7x40 and 10x40 binoculars that they still sell today.  These binoculars used the T3 coatings up until IOR changed the glass used in their binoculars in 2001, they now use their own multi-coating named MC7.  They have not used the T3 coating on their scopes since 1991.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2004 at 19:46

Carl Zeiss Jenna=Docter Optics.

ranburr

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2004 at 20:05
That could be a whole thread on its own.
ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2004 at 16:40

Chris thanks for the info. Otto Schott in the founder of Zeiss company ( with zeiss brothers and ernst abbe).

Schott Glasswerke is probably the best glass factory in the world ( look the web site) and only top cuality scopes use his glass ( schmidt bender, zeiss and hensoldt per example ) because this glass is much more expensive than japan glass .

ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2004 at 16:44

I know that some older Eastern European scopes had a yellowish tint to them, presumably to help resolution.  Also Swarovski used to have this style of coatings as well: they sacrificed some color rendition to have better reolution.

I think if you call IOR they will be able to answer these questions.

Ilya

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------

I confirm my IOR have this yellow image for this reason. ( I read an article about binoculars and explain the same you told) . None of the new line ior have yellow tint, they are extremely clear.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2004 at 16:47

chris, i havce a buddy argueing with me, and he's saying that carl zeiss was takin over by russia during WW2, and they had control for a while, and germany got it back, so can you clearify any info on this, i argue differently.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2004 at 17:10

Yep, the Russians did capture the "East German" Carl Zeiss plant in Jena, German in May of 1945....I think.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2004 at 17:49

i heard they got some equipment, and technology, but never thought they took it over. thanks for the info chris.

cory

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2004 at 19:03

Most all Warsaw Pact optics were provided by the Zeiss Jena plant (Docter), IOR, and Meopta, along with a couple of Soviet outfits.  When I say optics, I mean anything and everything from sniper scopes, binos, tank optics, naval optics, aviation optics, artillery range finders, night vision, very high quality observation tower optics, microscopes and others.  These companies all shared technology and people and they did pretty good for what they had.  But, like most things in the warsaw arsenal, they worked to a level that performed a stated task and no more beyond that.  After the wall came down we had access to huge amounts of Warsaw Pact equipment and I can tell you that their binos were no where near the quality of our Steiners and the Dragunov sniper rifles came with scopes that were pretty poor in my opinion.  These former eastern block outfits really came around and aggressively improved quality after they started privitizing.  I would say that with the exception of the Russians, the other three outfits have made huge strides in quality.  I was able to tour what I guess has become Meopta in what was then Czechloslavakia.  It was pretty much a nightmare at the time, but they made real strides by adopting a Swarovski style business plan and pursuing multiple lines to cater to the western market.  They became really good crystal makers at a fraction of the cost of the Germans and Austrians and they had some of the better looking stuff because they could get away with using huge amounts of lead since they did not have any real environmental standards.  Lead is a cheap way of really bringing out the fire and colors in crystal.  The crystal allowed them to gain a lot of western currency that they apparently have poured into their optics, because their scopes are light years beyond what they once provided.

ranburr   

ranburr

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2004 at 21:03
Russians actually shipped out of Germany to Russia a lot of equipment and people, including machinery and personnel from Zeiss Jena.  A lot of early Russian manufacturing was set-up by German prisoners.  A lot of civilians captured in Germany were called prisoners of war and exported to Russia.

Ilya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2004 at 10:46

Thanks for the info,Chris. I stand corrected once again. 

That's why I'm here, to learn and hopefully share.

Sorry to all for my ignorance and stating fiction for fact........  I would have posted this sooner, but have been out of town on business.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2004 at 17:29
 No worries mate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic