OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which low light scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which low light scope
    Posted: February/11/2008 at 10:40
Hello fellas, new guy from across the pond chiming in.

Need help to choose scope for high seat hunting deer at dawn and dusk, and moonlit nights.
(fully legal in Norway where I live Smile)

The rifle in question is a Ruger No1, 270 Win.
Because of the mounts, I´m limited to 1" tube.

I have been looking at the S&B Classic 8x56 with German #4 reticle, and the Meopta 7x56 with eighter the #4 or the Red dot.

Any of you with experience with these scopes who can give some advice?

Seawolf

Seawolf
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 11:18
Leupold makes 30mm rings for the ruger guns, so you are not limited to just the 1"
http://www.swfa.com/c-427-leupold-ruger-1-7722-30mm-ringmounts.aspx

I am sure there are others out there as well.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 11:26
i think weaver does too
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Treestand56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treestand56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 16:56
I would definitely try for the 30mm mounts with Euro glass. I know that pyro likes the 270 idea.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 21:42
yeah the .270 win is certainly my favorite, which i why i own a grand total of ZERO of them
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 21:42
Originally posted by Treestand56 Treestand56 wrote:

I know that pyro likes the 270 idea.

Yes, Pyro "O'Connor" is our resident OT expert on all things .277"/ 6.8mm, and is president of the Jack O'Connor Fan Club for the MN region!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 21:46
GREAT LAKES REGION DAMMIT GET IT RIGHT! Jeez how many times do i have to tell you that
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 21:49
Sorry, Mr. O'Connor; you know my intentions were good!Wink
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 21:51
ok mr texas region!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 21:54
Laugh%20Above
Ted

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 22:07
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Leupold makes 30mm rings for the ruger guns, so you are not limited to just the 1"
http://www.swfa.com/c-427-leupold-ruger-1-7722-30mm-ringmounts.aspx

I am sure there are others out there as well.

Warne makes a QD in 30mm. I just ordered a pair for my Ruger #1.

Edited by tahqua - February/11/2008 at 22:08
Treestand56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treestand56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 22:12
Knew I could press your button on that one. Just looking out for you!

Treestand56
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 01:25
Strange place this, I never asked about rings, but apreciate the replays anyhow Wink.
About the scope question,  nobody with first hand experience ?
Seawolf
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 03:49
Originally posted by seawolf seawolf wrote:

Strange place this, I never asked about rings, but apreciate the replays anyhow Wink.
About the scope question,  nobody with first hand experience ?

You have to reign these guys in every now and then.Excellent 
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 05:34
8 shots
Yes ... it  happens  once in a while that a thread takes off in an unpredictable direction Smile

I still hope though that someone can give me a hint about the scopes...
Seawolf
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 05:46
Originally posted by seawolf seawolf wrote:

Hello fellas, new guy from across the pond chiming in.

The rifle in question is a Ruger No1, 270 Win.
Because of the mounts, I´m limited to 1" tube.

Any of you with experience with these scopes who can give some advice?

Seawolf

Sorry, we were just offereing alternatives. Maybe not so strange?
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 05:52
Hey Seawolf,                 There is a member of this website who talks to us now and then from Sweden. He calls himself Technika and he hunts at night and is very knowledgable about low light scopes and hunting after dark. You can send him a personal message at www.technika.nu --plus you could wait here on this thread for the rest of the boys to discover your question. I am sure you will get a lot of feedback directly.           --Ed 
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 06:03
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Hey Seawolf,                 There is a member of this website who talks to us now and then from Sweden. He calls himself Technika and he hunts at night and is very knowledgable about low light scopes and hunting after dark. You can send him a personal message at www.technika.nu --plus you could wait here on this thread for the rest of the boys to discover your question. I am sure you will get a lot of feedback directly.           --Ed 

Good call, Ed.

seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 06:41

[/QUOTE]
Sorry, we were just offereing alternatives. Maybe not so strange?
[/QUOTE]

Not at all, and hopefully I did not step on anyones toes Smile
As i said, I apreciate the the replies about the rings, but the fact is that due to my not so young eyes, I must have the scope pretty close, and offset rings are the only way to go.
The only set I have found that can manage a + 50 mm lense and get the scope close enough is the Leupold 1" high offset.

Pr today I have a Conquest 3,5-10x50 on the rifle. but like to put on something more suited for the dark hours.

Again, I dont mean to come busting in here with an upnose attitude, so again if I offended someone, I´m sorry.
Seawolf
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 07:01
No Problem, Seawolf!!  ( We're just a bunch of REDNECKS here on this forum! Bucky HA! HA!) [ I will have to remember that word "upnose" ----I LIKE that!!]

Well, now that we have a photo of your rifle, we can see how scopes will fit with your mounts. Lots of people on this forum say the Conquest is a great scope for low light viewing. But for REAL DARK Moonlight hunting you might check out all the expensive European scopes like the 1 inch Kahles and the 1 inch Swarovski and a couple of the 1 inch IOR scopes ( but they are only a 4X and a 6X). Meopta is supposed to be wonderful, too, but most of them are 30mm.

Anyway, hang around, pretty soon this topic will "take off" with all kinds of technical and entertaining information....and a lot of fun foolishness.Shocked     --Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic