OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New scope for new rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New scope for new rifle
    Posted: February/10/2008 at 12:39
I am waiting for my new Browning X-Bolt in 7mm-08 to arrive sometime in June, and need to put a new scope on it.
I hunt whitetails here in the piedmont of NC. My shots range from short 20 yard, to at the most 150 yards depending on which shack I am hunting from (I have three at present in different areas of my land). I do a lot ho hunting in fairly heavy tree cover.
Mostly, the shots are within the 100 yard range. My budget will be somewhere between $350 and $400 for the new scope.
I currently use Swift 2-7X40 on my Browning BAR Safari .308. It's a nice scope.
I also have used the Nikon 3-9X40 Buckmaster, also a nice scope.
I somehow feel that I might do a little better with some solid advise of those that have been there, done that!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Frankb.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 12:48
Do you normally have plenty of time to get centered on your target or do you often have to take "snap" shots? 
take em!
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:00
I do not care for "snap shots", or shooting off the hip as it were. I try as much as possible to be settled before taking the shot. I have been very fortunate to have a good record of one shot, one kill hits for the past 10 years now and would like to try to keep it that way.
There are times that a buck will walk out and not stop where I would have to lead him and wait for him to move into the sight plane before snapping off the shot!
fmullegun View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmullegun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:03
what magnification do you usually use ?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:11
This is a little over your price, but would be my 1st choice: 

Kahles 2-7x36 Helia CL with 4a reticle on the samplelist for  $479.95

My next choice would be:

Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest but it only comes in Z plex for $399.99.

take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:20
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:25
Originally posted by frankb frankb wrote:

I am waiting for my new Browning X-Bolt in 7mm-08 to arrive sometime in June, and need to put a new scope on it.
I hunt whitetails here in the piedmont of NC. My shots range from short 20 yard, to at the most 150 yards depending on which shack I am hunting from (I have three at present in different areas of my land). I do a lot ho hunting in fairly heavy tree cover.
Mostly, the shots are within the 100 yard range. My budget will be somewhere between $350 and $400 for the new scope.
I currently use Swift 2-7X40 on my Browning BAR Safari .308. It's a nice scope.
I also have used the Nikon 3-9X40 Buckmaster, also a nice scope.
I somehow feel that I might do a little better with some solid advise of those that have been there, done that!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Frankb.
.......................................Since your budget is between $350 and $400, you will get some recos for the Zeiss Conquest because it has perhaps the best glass in that price range. The 2.5-8x32 Conquest falls within your budget...........Regardless of your budget, your 1st concern along with good optics, is to choose the proper variable for the hunting conditions. Your shots, as you say, will be between 20 yards and 150 yards, so choose the right variable accordingly. Although it will work, the Zeiss at 2.5x8, IMO, is too much magnification for your condition. It is more of a longer range plains scope!..............I would consider a 2x7 variable to be the absolute maximum. Even better? A 1.25 or 1.5 x4 or 5 would be ideal for all hunting less than 200 yards. However, a 4x or 5x can still be used for the 300 to 400 yard shots and cannot be underestimated!!..............The lower powered variables will increase your FOV and give faster target acquisition, especially for the shorter, within 50 yard shots.................................Burris Sig. Safari in the lower powered variable is a great choice!............Sightron Big Sky in the straight tubed lower powered variable is another great choice!.................Burris FF2 in the 2x7 for less $............Nikon Monarch 2x7. However, my 1st choice would not be the 2x7`s................There is also the Leupold lower powered variables. But you spend more with the Leupys in return for what you get. The bottom line? Keep your magnification down, while increasing your FOV and maintaining time to target acquisition at a minmium!...............   
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:30
Sorry, I am having trouble logging in to reply to my own post here.
I currently use the 2-7X40 Swift and turn it on lowest setting of 2x or I have it set on 4X
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:37
I have seriously considered a fixed 4X scope for these ranges as well. I had the Nikon 4X40 on one rifle and it was very nice. I could not help by worry that maybe I would have needed more power from time to time, but that really nver came to play except for when I wanted to shoot on my 1200 yard range. I like to be right on top of the target with the scope.
I gues that is the same problem many have when they over power their scopes. This is why I am asking for help this time. Whatever the end result is on the new Browning X-Bolt, I will learn to live with and adjust to it accordingly.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:43
Squeezer..... I was wondering about the scopes you mentioned before you posted.... and I'm thinking they may not work well for low-light with the small objective lenses.  Do you think this is a legitimate concern?
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:45
only if he hunts a lot in low light
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:47
Tip69,
I did not mention that I like to hunt from dawn to dusk. I try to take advantage of the 30 minutes before and after legal times. Not completely important, but nice to have that advantage as the deer activity starts happening around here at that time.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:51
well that eliminates all the small scopes with 20mm objectives
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:54
I have been trying to read up on this forum and have only gotten to about 8 or 9 pages so far. I do notice many talk about the zeiss conquest scope. I know the name, but that is about all I know of this scope. I guess I have more experience with the Buckmaster 3-9X40 and the Swift 2-7X40, and the Nikon 4X.
I have the Prostaff 4X on my Ruger 10/22 that I really like for squirrels and small game.
For such a nice rifle that I am getting, I would like to have a nice scope. I understand that you get what you pay for in most cases. Again, this is why I seek the help of this forum. I do listen to every word here!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 13:57
dude, im telling you to buy a zeiss there are plenty of people who like them they re very hard to beat under $500
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 14:11
If you can stretch your budget to $479.95 you could get the Kahles.  Although I don't have that particular scope, I have a CL 3-10X50....I'm sure you will like it!  From what I read around here, you'll like that 4a reticle too!
take em!
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 14:22
frankb:

In the first place, you have purchased the sweetest combination of rifle/calibre that one could buy.  Now, don't cheat yourself on the scope!  Just because you only take shots up to 150 yards, doesn't mean you should box yourself in to a 4 power or max 7 power variable.  Using the logic that you only take up to 150 yard shots, you could have gotten by with a 30-30 Winchester, instead of a 7mm-08!

Your rifle has the capability of shooting easily beyond 300 yards, with a 140 grain bullet Ballistic tip or Accubond,  starting off at 2,800 fps.  You might want to go elsewhere to hunt some day, so at least give yourself and the rifle its due, and go to a 3-9 variable, or at least a 2.5-8.  Who said that you had to have it set at high power all day?

If you are hunting dawn to dusk, I would go with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 with #4 reticle, instead of the 2.5-8X32.  Otherwise, a Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-9X 40 is another good choice.
Good luck!

Mojo

MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 14:32
i wont argue with that, i would take the zeiss over the 4200 though
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 14:49

pyro:

I agree with you.  That's why I listed the 4200 as an optional choice.  I had already spent $50 more than the budget,  and did not want to go any further.  On the other hand, I would take the Kahles before the Zeiss, but the spending beyond the budget has to end somewhere. Kudos to Tip69 anyway. 

MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 14:51
yeah the kahles is way nice, wish i had a couple myself
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic