OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron S2 Big Sky 1.25-5x20 reticle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which reticle is the best fit for a 1.25-5x20 scope?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
7 [46.67%]
4 [26.67%]
3 [20.00%]
1 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron S2 Big Sky 1.25-5x20 reticle
    Posted: February/09/2008 at 20:13
I have recently reviewed Sightron's 1.25-5x20 S2 Big Sky scope.  I thought it was an awesome little scope with a reticle a touch too thin for the applications where a scope like this might be used.  At the SHOT show, I had a nice chat with Sightron's Product Manager Alan Orr, and promised to get some feedback for him.

What do you guys think?  Which reticle would you like to see in a low range variable like this?

Thanks.
ILya
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 20:34
4a would be a great offering for Sightron (in more than one application...)
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 20:36

Koshkin, 

Would you happen to know where the Sightron S III is made, and by who?

Thanks!

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 20:40
                   Been looking at low range varibles lately but I'm just not sure if a max of 5x would be enough,maybe a max of 8x. As far as the poll goes,out of the 4 reticles you list I would favor the #4 big time. Just thought I'd metion that I have a K4 El Paso Weaver I had redone  a few years back and it has the thin horizontal crosshair w/thick vertical post. I find it's worked REAL good on some of the in close jump shots I've had to take. Maybe it would be another option to consider.

til later
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 21:00
Originally posted by Blackbird Blackbird wrote:

Koshkin, 

Would you happen to know where the Sightron S III is made, and by who?

Thanks!

All Sightron scopes, including SIII, are made in Japan.  I have heard that they have their own factory there, but I can not positively confirm it. 

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 21:03
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Been looking at low range varibles lately but I'm just not sure if a max of 5x would be enough,maybe a max of 8x. As far as the poll goes,out of the 4 reticles you list I would favor the #4 big time. Just thought I'd metion that I have a K4 El Paso Weaver I had redone  a few years back and it has the thin horizontal crosshair w/thick vertical post. I find it's worked REAL good on some of the in close jump shots I've had to take. Maybe it would be another option to consider.

til later

The reticle you are referring to is usually called "post and crosshair".  It is a very fast reticle for close up shots.  I think it was originally invented for use on running game but I could be wrong.  I am not sure if anyone still puts into their scopes as a standard item, but I had a new Burris 1.75-5x32 a couple of years ago with that reticle.  I suspect you can have it as a custom shop option from a few makers.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 21:11
Originally posted by brodeur272 brodeur272 wrote:

4a would be a great offering for Sightron (in more than one application...)

Sightron had that reticle in their 1.5-6x50 S3 scope for a long time.  Now they will have it in another S3 scope designed fro European-style low light hunting: 3.5-10x56 with #4 reticle and illuminated dot.

The argument I am trying to make is that a small light scope with generous eye relief like the 1.25-5x20 should have a thick bold reticle that emphasizes fast target acquisition. 

ILya

Edited by koshkin - February/09/2008 at 21:11
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 21:36

til later

That is one of the most useful heavy-cover/ low light reticles ever made.
 It is stone-simple and FAST. I simply cannot understand why it is so readily unavailable!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 06:50
                        RONK,your right on about the"post and crosshair"reticle(thank ya koshkin!). I also have the first Weaver scope I ever bought new back in the late 60's which had a fine crosshair reticle.  Sent it  to El Paso for a checkup and tried to get a post and crosshair put in but even they don't offer it anymore. Ended up with a duplex which is better than the fine one.

til later
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 07:04
In the power range you are talking about, I think a heavy reticle would be appropriate, followed by other bold reticles, like 4A and 7A, etc.                  --Ed 
Goju View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 09:43
I own one of these, and a # 4 would make it even better. Here is a pic of the little "Big Sky" mounted on my Grendel

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 10:55
That's a nice set-up Goju.  I have a higher powered (3-9x42) scope on my 6.5 Grendel, but that is mostly because I shoot plates pretty far out with it.  I tried Wally's 1.25-5x20 BigSky on a couple of rifles and it was an absolutely perfect fit on a super light Kel-tec SU-16 223 rifle.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.  Keep it coming.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 11:00
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

til later

That is one of the most useful heavy-cover/ low light reticles ever made.
 It is stone-simple and FAST. I simply cannot understand why it is so readily unavailable!

I think what killed (for all practical purposes) the post and crosshair reticle is the infatuation we all have with shooting tiny groups and shooting further out where you need to hold over the target.  That thick post was not designed for target shooting and is not good for it.

That is really the strength of the #4 reticle: allround versatility.  You get the thick posts for low light work, but the center crosshair is still thin enough for precision shooting.

ILya
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 11:18
My last low power was a Burris signature safari with the 4a reticle. I think this is the perfect reticle for close in woods/heavy cover quick to pickup the field and centers quickly. Has the cross hairs for target and gives the ability to reachout accurately if the situation presents itself.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 11:43
I've never even seen one of these reticles before..... but this is starting to peak my interest.  Not enough to go out and buy a scope just to try it, but enough to check around and see if anyone at my club has one so I can take a look thru it in the real world!
take em!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 11:57
                     Hey smithrjd,what do mean your last low power"was"a Burris Sig. Safari? Do you still have it? Trying to get some feedback on some low power variables and  your Burris is one that appeals to me. Any info you could provide would sure be appreciated!

til later
crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 12:14
I thought it was a given that low power scopes and heavy reticles went hand in hand.
A number 4 or heavy dpx would work for me.
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 12:32
I bought the Burris before I bought the big caliber gun, things changed and I got a Steyr in 6.5X57 used the Burris a little before trading it for a higher power scope. I really liked it, very clear and bright. I think Koshkin reviewed the scope and liked it as well. Just yesterday I ordered a CZ in 9.3X62 so now I'm looking for another low power and the Burris is on the list. You don't see them with the 3P-4a reticle often however.  
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 12:41
Originally posted by smithrjd smithrjd wrote:

.......Just yesterday I ordered a CZ in 9.3X62 so now I'm looking for another low power and the Burris is on the list. You don't see them with the 3P-4a reticle often however.  

Just curious...... was your CZ purchase influenced by Layne Simpson's article in the March '08 issue of "Shooting Times"?
take em!
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 12:48
Actually no, I have know about the 9.3X62 Mauser for quite awhile. John Barsness (SP) has also written quite abit on this caliber as well. Big bore power, medium action, and does not kick like a big magnum. Close to the 35 Whelen but has more power as it can handle heavier weight bullets. Poor mans 375 H&H . Used alot in Africa and Aisa. I will look for the article however.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic